Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:35:36 AM EDT
Not sure what the circumstances were but it looks a bit OTT as the guy was already on the ground.

Tasered 3 Times
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
i would need to see what started it to make a comment .

looks a bit harsh , but he is a big lad
that will buff right out .

john
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Who cares what started it! Even if he was a total c*!# once someones subdued the're subdued...

Just because you might WANT to tazer the bastards a bit more than neccesary dosn't mean you should. Otherwise where does it end?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Never mind the taser what about the three rapid to the head
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought i saw that too, but i didn't know whether it was just trying to get his hands in position for cuffs or if it was actualy digs to the head.... surely there would be more uproar about that if they were actualy hits..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If the blows were to the head - hard to justify.

If they were to the collar bone ( home office approved ) not so hard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you mean that police brutality is actually Home Office approved.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have thought blows to the clavicle would have been frowned upon, given its weakness.... do you have a link to this Home Office "guidance"?

I never looked for a link as it was part of my training and all there for me to read at the station.

Basically officers cannot just choose what method they use to apply force. Otherwise, you would have some using karate chops and others wrestling etc - The idea is to have one uniform APPROVED method used. That way, at court the officer cannot be accused of excessive force if he has followed guidelines.

Met officers are shown a life sized map of the human body when engaged in officer safety training. When it comes to strikes with an asp or open/closed hand, the different parts of the body are coloured green, amber and red. The idea is that one strikes a particular area based on the perceived threat etc

The head and neck are no go areas. As are the genitals. The lower arm and shin are shaded green for a starting point and other parts coloured differently according to the seriousness of the injury which will ensue. The clavicle is allowed especially if the need to immobilise ALL the upper body is essential to neutralise the threat.

The home office give guidence on the way cuffs are used, the way asp is used and the way cs is used. If the officer deviates from that method, he is in trouble regardless of the threat he faces.

If you really want to see the guidence do a google on "home office guidence to police" and then narrow it down to "officer safety". I never have as I already have read it every few months on refresher training.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought i saw that too, but i didn't know whether it was just trying to get his hands in position for cuffs or if it was actualy digs to the head

If someone has just been Tasered multiple times, could they actually move their arms or stop someone from moving their arms?
I thought the whole point of the Taser was to incapacitate. And not just for the time that the trigger is being pulled.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If someone has just been Tasered multiple times, could they actually move their arms or stop someone from moving their arms?

Touché
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Touché

I have no experience of taser having never used it. Nor have I been trained in its use. But I would imagine its probably as fallable as cs or asp.

Approx 5% of suspects CS'd have little or no adverse effect from the CS and actually get more aggressive / angry. There is nothing worse than douseing a guy in it, then watch him shake his head and inform you that he intends to rip your head off !!Same goes for ASP - the effect varies wildly from suspect to suspect.

Then factor in the effects of alcohol and/or drugs and one gets even more variences. Further, some people are less affected by blows - a rugby player or boxer will react differently to a blow than a ballerina.

What I did notice though, from that video is that after what I guess was the first taser use, the guy was still kicking out and still had enough power / use of his arms to prevent them being cuffed. Maybe the officer felt that he STILL could not control him and delivered a few blows to the sternum or collar bone.

Or maybe he lost his temper and delivered a few to the head.

Either is entirely plausible and without better camera angle and speaking to those present, all that remains is conjecture.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought i saw that too, but i didn't know whether it was just trying to get his hands in position for cuffs or if it was actualy digs to the head

I thought the whole point of the Taser was to incapacitate. And not just for the time that the trigger is being pulled.

Taser only works if there is an electrical circuit, ie either both probes in contact (with skin), or the weapon itself can be placed on the skin and discharged. It only incapacitates for the time it is discharging. Once switched off or at the end of the 5 second cycle the effects are totally gone.
Some people can resist Taser discharge and still move/grip whilst it is being applied. A lot of times Taser doesn't even work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top