Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 7:23:37 AM EDT
I'm sticking my FAC in for a variation and was thinking about adding an LBR, I may or may not buy it just yet but at least it'll be on there if I want it. Has anyone gat any experience of these and what do you think? Also which calibre .357 or .44 and what are the pros and cons.

Manyt thanks

Andy
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one in .357 (7 shot) , although I only shoot .38 special loads through mine.
They're great fun to use

A guy at our club has one in .44mag (6 shot). It uses a larger frame, but is quite painful to shoot with magnum loads and the std grips....although I  suppose you could shoot .44sp loads or change the grips ?

Depends what you want to use it for ?

I fancied one in .45acp, but couldnt be bothered with the moon clips...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot a few and they are good fun, but not enough fpr me to buy one. That said they do have a popular following. I went for a Buckmark conversion because I like speed shooting semi-auto, and the ammo is dirt cheap
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot a few and they are good fun, but not enough fpr me to buy one. That said they do have a popular following. I went for a Buckmark conversion because I like speed shooting semi-auto, and the ammo is dirt cheap

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've got one in .357 (7 shot) , although I only shoot .38 special loads through mine.
They're great fun to use

A guy at our club has one in .44mag (6 shot). It uses a larger frame, but is quite painful to shoot with magnum loads and the std grips....although I  suppose you could shoot .44sp loads or change the grips ?

Depends what you want to use it for ?

I fancied one in .45acp, but couldnt be bothered with the moon clips...

At the end of the day you are only punching holes in paper (unless you are worried about Zombies... ) .... so I would have to say that caliber means little....

I have a Taurus .44 and find it quite easy to control, even with the hottest PRVI humpties... The .44 was bought after flogging (with first chance to buy back) my Ruger Redhawk in .357.....

I have worked up a load using a 240Gr FN-FP head over 7Gns Bullseye, this load is very sweet.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
LBR's are great fun to shoot, and you won't regret it whichever calibre you get.

There are a few things to consider, firstly, what reloading kit have you got? If you already have a 44 or 38 lever action, its often good to get the same calibre in LBR, so you only have to reload one type of ammo.

Also a lot of people like the 38 (i personally have one of these) since it is a lighter frame and you get an extra shot. However if you have big hands, the 38 might feel a bit small for you.

The best advice i can offer is go into a shop, or down you local range, and handle and shoot all calibre's, 38, 44, 45, 30...
Only you know what gun is best for you. See what you like, and go for it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/icarusy625/RimmieSights002_edited.jpg

very nice.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheers guys. It's just for fun so the calibre isn't too much of an issue, I'm leaning towards the .44 to be honest. Just wanted to get an idea about what the Taurus's were like build wise and reliability.

Once again thanks for the info so far.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#8]
...and I have some finger groove walnut grips on the way to give the grip more depth and a better feel. The standard ones are small even for my girlie hands.

Also I knocked up some adjustable iron sights to go on the weaver rail.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cheers guys. It's just for fun so the calibre isn't too much of an issue, I'm leaning towards the .44 to be honest. Just wanted to get an idea about what the Taurus's were like build wise and reliability.

Once again thanks for the info so far.

One point to note.... My Taurus hated Blue Dot.... Very dirty and jammed up on more than one occasion before i switched to Bullseye....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you fella's lawfully own revolvers chambered in cartridges larger than .44 mag?  Chambered in a centerfire rifle cartridge?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can you fella's lawfully own revolvers chambered in cartridges larger than .44 mag?  Chambered in a centerfire rifle cartridge?

I can't see why not?  Availability would be the only problem.... I was looking at some of the .500 S & W Revolvers, would be rather nice to shoot one of those at the Phoenix...

We have single shot pistols chambers in .308.... I'm pretty sure "Competitor" (link please) have loads of caliber choices available, just not sure up to what!

ETA: Phoenix is a competition that has stages including "long range pistol"..
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Foresight arrived today, and fitted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Foresight arrived today, and fitted:

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/icarusy625/Buckmarkirons001.jpg

Where did you get such wonderful toys?
(the sights I mean, I already have a browning)

To anyone thinking of getting a Taurus .44 hold tight for the minute, as most of the last shipment came in with the wrong rifling in the barrels and are putting the rounds sideways through the target at 10 yards.
I'm waiting for my one on order to be re-barrelled before I collect it.(IIRC they are doing that with all of the last batch)

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't see why not?  Availability would be the only problem.... I was looking at some of the .500 S & W Revolvers, would be rather nice to shoot one of those at the Phoenix...

We have single shot pistols chambers in .308.... I'm pretty sure "Competitor" (link please) have loads of caliber choices available, just not sure up to what!

ETA: Phoenix is a competition that has stages including "long range pistol"..

.500 would be a no-no at my range( and I belive at Bisley too), .455 is the largest they allow, a few guys have .454casull Matebas. I've got a Competitor with a spare barrel in .308 on it's way to me
But they do other calibres too www.competitor-pistol.com/callist.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad you like them. I made the sights out of an old cereal box, a squeezy bottle and a pair of Val's old knickers

Top Top