Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 12:56:06 PM EDT
A mate of mine who shoots bunnies with an air rifle said the other day that i would never be granted permission by my local constabulary to shoot .223 even if the farmer gave me permission and the field was totally suitable...Is he correct or not neccesarily so?
Would love to be able to shoot without always having to wait for range dates which with my club is about 2 times a month.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends a lot on the size of the land, but they generally only grant .223 for foxes and .22lr for rabbits

Mark
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Bugger
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Plods being silly as usual. I've shot Foxes with a .22... works fine. I've shot bunnies with a .243.... agreed that was overkill.

ANdy

Hope they were dispatched with headshot's

Toe
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A mate of mine who shoots bunnies with an air rifle said the other day that i would never be granted permission by my local constabulary to shoot .223 even if the farmer gave me permission and the field was totally suitable...Is he correct or not neccesarily so?
Would love to be able to shoot without always having to wait for range dates which with my club is about 2 times a month.  

Matt, do you just want to shoot your AR anytime you want, or shoot rabbits with your 223?

If it's the former then they'll see through you and not grant it. If you want to control foxes and rabbits then it shouldn't be a problem.

Ask for the permission for the right reasons, or it'll come back and kick you in the butt. Don't ask just to be able to walk around the fields with the AR and shoot anything that moves (or doesn't as the case may be) do it because you have a need to be there with the rifle. Twice a month at the range isn't bad, and it's more than most get to do.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Plods being silly as usual. I've shot Foxes with a .22... works fine. I've shot bunnies with a .243.... agreed that was overkill.

ANdy

Hope they were dispatched with headshot's

Toe

Donno! There was never enough big bits of bunny left to confirm things...

Suppose you could have scrapped enough together for a sausage or maybe even a goulash..

Toe
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My ticket says all my guns  (except the .44 pistol which apparently I can't even zero on the land I am authorised to shoot over? (Range use only))can be used for shooting vermin and pest control!  I suspect that the fact that both my AR's are on my ticket as "Bolt Action Rifles" may have something to do with this?  Had they been described as AR15's this might not have been the case.  Might scare the tourists away from the area.........

I suspect things might change should I be challenged in the course "of my duties" as Bunnyassassin!!! Whether I am engaging charlie or Peter Cottontail.

My plod are very helpful, even "opened" my ticket early at my request!  I must admit though, I have over 450 acres to shoot over and have lost track of the permission letters from land owners i have put in.  Most of the land i shoot over has been "passed" for .308, apart from two swathes that are shotgun  / smooth bore only.

My advice would be to make friends with local landowners!  A good friend of mine serviced a local farmers Landy and immediately got himself 200 acres of crow infested ground to clear.

Failing that, muck in with someone who has permission and go from there?...

.... If you don't know anyone with ground then make the most of your range time.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top