BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 2:15:25 PM EDT
Britain

September 19, 2005

Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries
By Katrina Tweedie

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America.
England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

The study, based on telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the official police figures. They include non-sexual crimes of violence and serious assaults.

Violent crime has doubled in Scotland over the past 20 years and levels, per head of population, are now comparable with cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Tbilisi.

The attacks have been fuelled by a “booze and blades” culture in the west of Scotland which has claimed more than 160 lives over the past five years. Since January there have been 13 murders, 145 attempted murders and 1,100 serious assaults involving knives in the west of Scotland. The problem is made worse by sectarian violence, with hospitals reporting higher admissions following Old Firm matches.

David Ritchie, an accident and emergency consultant at Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary, said that the figures were a national disgrace. “I am embarrassed as a Scot that we are seeing this level of violence. Politicians must do something about this problem. This is a serious public health issue. Violence is a cancer in this part of the world,” he said.

Detective Chief Superintendent John Carnochan, head of the Strathclyde Police’s violence reduction unit, said the problem was chronic and restricting access to drink and limiting the sale of knives would at least reduce the problem.

The study, by the UN’s crime research institute, found that 3 per cent of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2 per cent in America and just 0.1 per cent in Japan, 0.2 per cent in Italy and 0.8 per cent in Austria. In England and Wales the figure was 2.8 per cent.

Scotland was eighth for total crime, 13th for property crime, 12th for robbery and 14th for sexual assault. New Zealand had the most property crimes and sexual assaults, while Poland had the most robberies.

Chief Constable Peter Wilson, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland, questioned the figures. “It must be near impossible to compare assault figures from one country to the next based on phone calls,” he said.

“We have been doing extensive research into violent crime in Scotland for some years now and this has shown that in the vast majority of cases, victims of violent crime are known to each other. We do accept, however, that, despite your chances of being a victim of assault being low in Scotland, a problem does exist.”

You bloody chaps are a violent lot

If I need any Scottish goods I'll just send elucidate to do my bidding

Wally- The American Scots-Irish Geordie Gun-toting Knife-Wielding Booza
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You had a "Minor Heart Attack" ???

I pray you are doing well my friend!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way to describe most of scotlands towns is east european comunist sattelite towns, made of horrible grey concrete

To be honest having been to cumbernauld im surprised there arnt more suicides!!

James
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
News

Scotland has higher crime figures than England and Wales. ( AND USA)
But after I was trawling throught the crime figures as I posted in the other thread. Scotland has the  two counties with the lowest crime figures in the UK too. Rural area's we'll asume but the safest inthe UK.

Wales had  3/4 lowest crime in rural area's too.

Cities suck

Taffy the country bumpkin

Wally I hope you guys are safe over there. Are you suffering from this latest hurricane?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You blokes never told me about " Gregory's Girl"...Now I have to check out that flick
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You blokes never told me about " Gregory's Girl"...Now I have to check out that flick

I'll get you a copy if you want Wally

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
News

But after I was trawling throught the crime figures as I posted in the other thread. Scotland has the  two counties with the lowest crime figures in the UK too. Rural area's we'll asume but the safest inthe UK.

Cities suck

Heyup Taffy

It seems that the worse "Did Not" happen so far as I can tell.

Me dad is doing well in North Central Texas and we here in Arizona are still dealing with high heat.

Would not mind a bit if we could get some of those rains here

Wally I hope you guys are safe over there. Are you suffering from this latest hurricane?

ETA: I hate when I don't get the qoutes right
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
News

Cities suck

Heyup Taffy

Me dad is doing well in North Central Texas and we here in Arizona are still dealing with high heat.

I'm glad you are all well. I just hope "Jasoncrumb" (and his wife "SP1Girl") who came to visit me recently is ok. He lives in Huston I think.

Fingers crossed they are ok

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
News

Cities suck

Heyup Taffy

ETA: I hate when I don't get the qoutes right

quotes....shmotes.....we dont care mate
just glad to hear ya all ok

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll get you a copy if you want Wally

Taffy

Thanks mate...I'll see if I can get a copy locally.

And I too pray that Jason is ok...It's hard to imagine evacuating from such a large city. I had a disscusion with the family last night about always staying prepared...You just never know when the bleakest of situations might arrive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Now that I think about it...Jason hails from Dallas...Not Houston
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dallas/Houston aint that the same area?......give me a damn good prod if I'm way out here.

Both in Texas or is that like saying all us ARFCom'rs from the UK are on the same Island?

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dallas/Houston aint that the same area?......give me a damn good prod if I'm way out here.

Both in Texas or is that like saying all us ARFCom'rs from the UK are on the same Island?

Taffy

Taffy mate

Dallas is north and central in Texas...Houston is about 60 miles from the gulf region...

Texas is one very large State...Larger in land mass than California ...Only second in size  to Alaska

ETA: When I recieve the items from Americansniper.org to send to you I might as well send you an Atlas as well
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Wally

I got "Google Earth"

I can see your house from here......

Taffy

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wally

I got "Google Earth"

I can see your house from here......

Taffy

Just make sure its the right house...'85 Chevy El Camino and 2000 Nissan Xterra in the driveway
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I looked real hard Wally

All I could see was a small herd of donkeys.
Are you sure you dont take the Interstate-Burro to work and back

BTW I've just had a few IM's from Jason and his Wife. They are all ok and family is ok too. Thank God.

Too close for comfort.

Taffy

Do I need to photoshop this?.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I looked real hard Wally

All I could see was a small herd of donkeys.
Are you sure you dont take the Interstate-Burro to work and back

BTW I've just had a few IM's from Jason and his Wife. They are all ok and family is ok too. Thank God.

Too close for comfort.

Taffy

sangha.net/countries/Georgia/CULTURE/PIROS1/DONKEY.jpg

Do I need to photoshop this?.....

Taffy

The donkey is of the Democrats...I'm a Republican...Think "Elephant"..or Pachyderm

The Dem's are the Jackass

ETA: I'm glad for Jason and his family
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And this description of Cumbernauld from Crap Towns is exactly as I rember the cesspit…

Cumbernauld
I’LL SPLIT YOU

Don’t know what ’split’ means, must be another cumbernauld word for kill.

Robert Paterson

http://idler.co.uk/crap/?page_id=59

Split means to cut or slice...Referring to the cutting edge of a knife.

It seems the "Cumbernauld's" are filled with Yankee verbage. "I'll split you from head to toe"

I don't fancy the thought...That is why I always bring a "Gun" to a knife fight.

ETA: I have not heard the word "Cunt' used more than" here"or an "English" movie...It is considered the "C" word here. But, I have thought of "IT" yet would never say it out loud...Very Taboo in the states!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You had a "Minor Heart Attack" ???

I pray you are doing well my friend!!!

Thanks Wally, I did, but at least I walked out of the Cardiac Unit afterwarsd, things is going to changing bigtime in Vitoland now…

ANdy

[Dr. KY Jellyfingers voice] now Mr. Vito, no more deep fried Mars bars for you. [/Dr. KY Jellyfingers voice]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top