Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 5:56:36 AM EDT
How could you not love a country where when you die, you go to Valhalla.

Best infantry in the world....the Vikings.....

Plus, almost as good as the Vikings, look at this packet of liqourice i bought.

Not only are they black, and called what they are, they taste of salt!! (saltlakrids means salt liqourice)

This is going to make for the best women in the office/possible disciplinary hearing ever!

Dave
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]
" SALTY SPUNK !! "

It's not often you get away with saying that on a forum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
ewwwww
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
" SALTY SPUNK !! "

It's not often you get away with saying that on a forum.

Really? I use that expression far more on internet forums than I do in real life.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#5]

I don't know if there is any possible way for me to say something to the effect of "I miss eating Danish Spunk" without it sounding incredibly gay!  

Here's more fun with the Danish language - it cracks up my wife.  In a race, the final sprint to the line is called a "slut spurt"  

... and the brits will appreciate what book stores in Denmark are called: "Bog Handle"  

Finally, if you are in an old building, and ride the elevator, check out the panel.  There'll often be a button that lights up, that is labelled "I fart"   - in Danish, it means "in use"

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
An idea just occured to me - if you are interested in military stuff and military history.

If I recall properly, the Historical Collection on the Royal Guard base in Copenhagen is open to the public on Wednesdays - which means that anyone can pretty much just be admitted to the grounds of the base if they ask.  This is of course the base close by N$rreport Station, and right across from the Botanical Gardens and the Geological Museum.  You know, the base right next to Rosenborg palace (where the Crown Jewels are kept).

If you have the time, go to the main entrance to the base (Gothersgade), on Wednesday, and tell the guard that you are going to see the Historical Museum (called "Historisk Samling").  He should admit you to the base (and give you directions).  If you time it right - right before 11:00 AM - you'll get to see the palace guard prepare for the guard change, and leave the base.  If it is a full guard change (i.e. the queen is in residency) they will be starting to get ready by 11:00 AM, and will leave the base around 11:30 AM.  If it is a smaller guard change, they'll leave slightly later (and will be less impressive, with no marching band, and only a small detachment).  

If that kind of thing interests you, it might be a lot of fun to actually be on the base and see the guards line up, be inspected, be issued ammo, etc - and then leave for the guard change.  Most people of course do not realize that you can actually get onto the base on Wednesdays.

(Of course - it is POSSIBLE that they have since changed it, and you will not be able to get on the base, but I doubt it.  If you try, and I was wrong, then I'll owe you a cold Tuborg )

The Historical Museum, in addition to being a pretext to get onto the base, is also quite nice - even though it is small.  Also, you should see my picture somewhere on the wall, since I believe they still have the pictures of all the officers who ever served in the regiment displayed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I found Denmark to be a dreary hell hole!  The whole place was painted in Greyscale and very cold........... even the Little Mermaid made me sick to my core and Hamlets castle was a cavernous dunny.......... however, I was quite depressed at the time and so maybe it was just me...................................... Nope, the wife just agreed!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I found Denmark to be a dreary hell hole!  The whole place was painted in Greyscale and very cold........... even the Little Mermaid made me sick to my core and Hamlets castle was a cavernous dunny.......... however, I was quite depressed at the time and so maybe it was just me...................................... Nope, the wife just agreed!  

Don't EVER go to Denmark in the winter!  It IS depressing.  The Autumn and Spring can be pretty dreary too, come to think of it.  

Actually, try to go for a week in late June, and you'll be fine!     (unless it's raining )

ETA:  Yeah - and "Hamlet's" castle is boring and cold - and has absolutely nothing to do with Hamlet .  The "castles" that are worth seeing are Frederiksborg (in Hiller$d) and Rosenborg (in Copenhagen).  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Will take that under advisement!

However, my wife dictates the "none shooting" holiday locations and I "go along for the ride"!  Quite correctly, you sussed we went in winter, and that quite frankly pissed me off!  

Middle of winter in the UK and guess where we have to go on a holiday............. Copenhagan!!  A friend of our told us all the places to go and where the best night life was...........

........... she didn't mention needing a snow plough to get out of the hotel!    

I will go there again, if only to run round that damn castle again with a flash gun shouting "Oooops there goes another masterpiece, ruined by flash photography!!"

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Now you know why the Vikings were so keen to sail over and take over England in the 9th century?  

Even the Vikings drew the line at Wales
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does the sun EVER shine in Wales? Everytime I've been there it was raining…

ANdy

No, the sun never shines in Wales - its just like Scotland........
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Scotland is ok, but for the midges............. Wales (West coast in particular) is Gods own garden......... I would move down to the likes of Trevor in a heartbeat...... the wife would eventually find me though and bring me back!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]
What makes you think it sprinklers that he's using?    

I remember sleeping in a tent in Aberdaron and it rained so damn hard it felt like I was lying on a water bed......... I was lying in a water bed by mornin'..........
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent most of my time in a dry suit, did a lot of diving down there when I was slightly more energetic.............   Went to an excellent quarry once called........... "Dorothea?" I think............ the whole mining facilty is still intact under the water, cranes, buildings etc. ........ A truly weird place................. Anyhoo back to Denmark we go, been trawling my phone for crap I found over there..................

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Now I know why you British got so keen on building and sailing ships throughout your history:

You were desperate to find a dry climate!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]
And strange sounding sweet products!  heh  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top