Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 4:20:55 AM EDT
Hi,

Went hunting for rabbits on an overpopulated airfield with Dave on saturday night and  it was good fun, who else hunts here? What do you shoot and what do you use?

Leon
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a scoped 10/22 for the bunnies
Just a shame that I still need to find a farmer who will let me have exclusive use of his land.
I've pretty much visited all of them in a 5-10 mile radius and they all have people shooting on their land already.
That's the hardest part....finding somewhere suitable

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried golf courses Taffy, Have got permission from 2 of the 4 i called and for anytime after dusk on any day!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have you tried golf courses Taffy, Have got permission from 2 of the 4 i called and for anytime after dusk on any day!

Were they prepared to sign your shooting rights declaration for the Police?

this sounds promissing as there's a few golf clubs nearby

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If you already have it on your ticket (particularly an "open" authority) then all you need is permission (preferably written) from the land-owner, such as the golf course and you'll be OK.

I "hunt" occasionally. Don't really get the time, but when I do, I use my M4gery's in both .22 and .223. The .223 makes a real mess of the bunnies though, especially with Speer 50gn TNT's.
Haven't shot any foxes as I never seem to see any but did get a deer a couple of years ago with my .260 at a measured 438yds.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you already have it on your ticket (particularly an "open" authority) then all you need is permission (preferably written) from the land-owner, such as the golf course and you'll be OK.

I "hunt" occasionally. Don't really get the time, but when I do, I use my M4gery's in both .22 and .223. The .223 makes a real mess of the bunnies though, especially with Speer 50gn TNT's.
Haven't shot any foxes as I never seem to see any but did get a deer a couple of years ago with my .260 at a measured 438yds.

Mark

I'll only get it added to my licence by having somewhere to shoot with evidence of that.
Getting an "open" ticket would require me to have been shooting/hunting already for quite some time.

I'll take it step by step

And see what happens

Taffy

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they prepared to sign your shooting rights declaration for the Police?

this sounds promissing as there's a few golf clubs nearby

Cheers

Taffy

Taffy this was just for Air rifles mate!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark

I'll only get it added to my licence by having somewhere to shoot with evidence of that.
Getting an "open" ticket would require me to have been shooting/hunting already for quite some time.

I'll take it step by step

And see what happens

Taffy

I see, I thought you already had authority.
Good luck
Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Matty  

Air what?

Air Rifles are for people not allowed FAC's

Taffy

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That's unless it's an FAC air rifle
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an open ticket

Use a Finfire .22 for bunnies
.17 HMR (CZ) for close foxes and bunnies
243 (RWS) for Deer & Foxes
223 just for foxes

I love hunting, especially lamping

I am lucky really I have 4 farms totalling over 1200 acres to choose from

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Air Rifles are for Ghey's

I hunt, obviously, as I was mentioned in the first post!

Mainly ickle creatures, Rabbits, Magpies, Pigeons, Squirrel, Crows, and Foxes.

70% of my hunting is rabbit though, with Birds being second as the airfield wants me to clear them so they don't get sucked into engines.

I mostly use the .22RF with non magnified sight, in lamplight or during the day. Using HV's. Most are pretty far for .22Rf but it does the job nicely.

I also have a shotgun but it's not very good for killing things past 30 yards so it doesn't get a lot of use so far.

I intend to use the .223 to clear the longer range rabbits as some are too damn clever for my sneakyness!

Dave
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm allowed to hunt (according to my FAC that is) Deer, Vermin, Pests, ground game, 'any animal for the protection of other animals' (the old rabies clause), and 'in connection with the running an estate, any other animal'

with 'all the firearms on this FAC', over any land I deem suitable.

So with the .22s, .223s, .243, .260, .308, .44/45, 12ga I can decide which rifle I take and what to shoot with it. I suppose I'd have to abide by the minimum energy limits for the deer though, it's only right to.

If I'm after rats/mice in buildings the marlin u/l comes out with shot shells, rabbits and rats in the field then it's the 10/22 or the BSA Intl (butchered target rifle) and the Rem1100 shotgun (13shot mag!). Foxes get the M4gery (Bushmaster) treatment, and deer get the 243 (Sako) and 308 (Rem700) (and maybe the 260 in future, but it's so heavy I might just leave as a target gun). Boar will get the 308 whenever the oppotunity arises.

I usually leave the foxes if they're not causing trouble as they help with the rabbits, and as a farmer tit's the rabbits that really need controlling.

(.44Mag and rabbits is a recipe for a big mess!)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's one I got with my M4gery. 50gn VMax.
It's a bit grim I know, but think of it like this...I happily beheaded this insurgent in revenge, because it was a Talibunny

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a bit grim I know, but think of it like this...I happily beheaded this insurgent in revenge, because it was a Talibunny

Mark
www.markbradley.talktalk.net/jse_Zeroing_019.jpg

Nice fore end… maker?

Andy

Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark
www.markbradley.talktalk.net/jse_Zeroing_019.jpg

Nice fore end… maker?

Andy

Daniel Defense

$274!!!!…

This is a job for Bravo Company!

ANdy

Or Matt

ps, never said it was cheap, but it is good

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Streetfighter...that is a damned nice rig!

Thanks for the compliment

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Oops, wrong thread

Mark
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm allowed to hunt (according to my FAC that is) Deer, Vermin, Pests, ground game, 'any animal for the protection of other animals' (the old rabies clause), and 'in connection with the running an estate, any other animal'

with 'all the firearms on this FAC', over any land I deem suitable.

So with the .22s, .223s, .243, .260, .308, .44/45, 12ga I can decide which rifle I take and what to shoot with it. I suppose I'd have to abide by the minimum energy limits for the deer though, it's only right to.

If I'm after rats/mice in buildings the marlin u/l comes out with shot shells, rabbits and rats in the field then it's the 10/22 or the BSA Intl (butchered target rifle) and the Rem1100 shotgun (13shot mag!). Foxes get the M4gery (Bushmaster) treatment, and deer get the 243 (Sako) and 308 (Rem700) (and maybe the 260 in future, but it's so heavy I might just leave as a target gun). Boar will get the 308 whenever the oppotunity arises.

I usually leave the foxes if they're not causing trouble as they help with the rabbits, and as a farmer tit's the rabbits that really need controlling.

(.44Mag and rabbits is a recipe for a big mess!)

Yea thanks for that Matt
Ya might as well post pics just to piss me off real good and proper
Farmers do have fringe benefits then......
I spent many seasons working on a farm collecting the hay till they brough them darn round things in
Hardest money I ever earnt.

Taffy

Matt i'm sure you'll need someone to help you control those varmin. (Or at least carry all your guns)
So you'll sign my shooting authority form

I'll not be doing any hunting till my back is fixed anyway

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
It's becoming a real ball ache shooting up here just South of the Anglo Scotish divide!  I have over 600 acres to play around on a it seems that every time I take a shot or settle down for a zeroing session, some crag rat sticks his head over a fence and says I'm ruining his day................ Nearly all hunting / zeroing is done with moderator firmly attached now as the old bill are starting to get grumbles from the tourists about warfare in the fells?

Any hunting I do now is most certainly at night and limited to as few a shots as possible? For bunny bashing it has to be the quiet CZ452, for fox I still use heavy buckshot or No.2's in my Franchi out a bit further I have taken to using my M4 with M6 Streamlight, but definitely need a Moddy for it.  May take a wander up to PHJ's this weekend and push the boat out?

Was out "in the field" a fortnight ago with my M4 and bagged a dog fox, missed on first shot, got him with second........ 5 minutes later a mate from town said that he had just heard on the scanner (he's a people watcher) that someone had reported shooting behind their holiday home ...................... The old bill were duly dispatched to a village over 2 miles from where I shot Charlie............... sound sure can travel, I sat on the side of the fell and watched as they hair assed up the valley with lights going............................... you gotta laugh?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice one!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I shoot furry things on a regular basis

Deer - Steyr Ultralight .308
Foxes - Browning A-Bolt .22-250
Rabbits - Ruger/Walther 10/22, V22 or AK

Richard
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Hello,

Just thought i'd add my bit.

I hunt in Bavaria, deer, mainly Roe, with a Sauer 90 in .308 win. Foxes and badger with CZ 527 fox in .222 rem. Duck and other feathered game with my 12 Ga. O&U. I have just put  my old K98 mauser 8 X 57 IS in a plastic stock added a 11mm rail and mounted it with a pro-point for those driven hunts for boare. I usually use the Gecco ammo in all my hunting and handgun's, which are:- FN-HP, Glock 17, Colt Detective special & Python, and a Hammerli Exesse.

Take care.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Whats a handgun
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Hiya Richard.

If you are in my neck of the woods (skiinig,climbing) give us a knock and if i have the time we can visit the local range.

Tony

P.S.

This is pretty much an open invitation to members of AR15.com members.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hello,

I hunt in Bavaria, deer, mainly Roe, with a Sauer 90 in .308 win. Foxes and badger with CZ 527 fox in .222 rem. Duck and other feathered game with my 12 Ga. O&U. I have just put  my old K98 mauser 8 X 57 IS in a plastic stock added a 11mm rail and mounted it with a pro-point for those driven hunts for boare. I usually use the Gecco ammo in all my hunting and handgun's, which are:- FN-HP, Glock 17, Colt Detective special & Python, and a Hammerli Exesse.

Take care.

Tony

You hunt badgers?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Hiya,

Yes. the goverment agency over here sets the game rules, and badger may be culled in the months of AUG-SEP & OCT.
I have only ever take one, but we had a plague of em.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hiya Richard.

If you are in my neck of the woods (skiinig,climbing) give us a knock and if i have the time we can visit the local range.

Tony

P.S.

This is pretty much an open invitation to members of AR15.com members.

Wooohooo

Guys I'll book a mini-bus

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hello,

Take care.

Tony

OOH, I've just cum.   (thats my cum face)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Hiya all,

@ Taffy, dont come over just for the handgun shooting, the octoberfest (Bavarian BEER party) isnt all that far off. Now if some members come over for that, we could manage a trip to the range....

Be good.

Tony

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Blimey beer and guns.............I'm in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top