Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
were any SA-80 SPR or even semis made? I've got most of the British military small arms from the last century and was wondering if there had been any SA-80s made for civilian/sporting use? if so how much do they typically sell for?

Alex
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Alex,
Back in the old days, before the semi-auto rifle ban, in 1988, there were some SA80 rifles in semi format. There were a few of these in civilian hands. I remember seeing them advertised at the time for around £850.
Alas, they aren't available anymore. But I have heard of them appearing on the US market from time to time. In fact there was something on ARFCOM only a few weeks ago about them.
I believe that when they do come up for sale, the asking price is somewhere around $15,000

There was never an SPR model, although the talk is that the LSW version may be utilised in that role now that the Brit.Mil finally has Minimi's

Mark
Edited because I found the link
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=233820
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Alex,
Back in the old days, before the semi-auto rifle ban, in 1988, there were some SA80 rifles in semi format. There were a few of these in civilian hands. I remember seeing them advertised at the time for around £850.
Alas, they aren't available anymore. But I have heard of them appearing on the US market from time to time. In fact there was something on ARFCOM only a few weeks ago about them.
I believe that when they do come up for sale, the asking price is somewhere around $15,000

There was never an SPR model, although the talk is that the LSW version may be utilised in that role now that the Brit.Mil finally has Minimi's

Mark
Edited because I found the link
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=233820

I wonder if the MoD would sell parts kits of some of the earlier rifle when they're de-milled?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the answer to that is..............
No chance

Mark
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
They used all the better nick old A1's to build the A2's. There are no spare parts available, so they have to cannibalize rifles for spare parts, so no, don't expect to see any come onto the market.

And IIRC, we now tend to cut up rather than sell on surplus weapons in our New Labour PC world. Although I see one Section 5 dealer is offering brand new ex MoD L1A1's in there wrappers for export… if only.

ANdy
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They used all the better nick old A1's to build the A2's. There are no spare parts available, so they have to cannibalize rifles for spare parts, so no, don't expect to see any come onto the market.

And IIRC, we now tend to cut up rather than sell on surplus weapons in our New Labour PC world. Although I see one Section 5 dealer is offering brand new ex MoD L1A1's in there wrappers for export… if only.

ANdy

yes if only, unfortunately they are banned from import here due to papa bush's '89 import ban. On the bright side we can still build them from parts kits which is how I got mine 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
There were approximately 30 - 40 L98A1 bolt action only configuration rifle sent out for sale in Canada, of these about 10 -20 were re-imported into the UK!

There are also 3 'LSW upper' bolt-action rifles in existence, as trial weapons.

Royal Ordnance missed out in providing the L98A1 to the UK civilian shooter; as a result we all have AR15's

Some semi-auto only rifles were produced as demo guns, primarily for police sales, where they are......? It is not difficult to convert the L98 guns to semi auto if you can get hold of one and providing you have the spares

The number of required carbine models for tank crews equals the number of 'surplus' LSW's with the sneaky introduction of the minimi; those receivers are certainly spoken for!

The LSW is history, no SPR role in the current climate, just a spare parts base for the carbines.

The UK MOD has always cut up weapons rather than sell them on in the UK. We will quite happily sell / give them away to foreign countries and later have them used against us, but not sell them to the UK Civ Pop!

When Hong Kong went the new SA80's were cut in half and skipped along with the spares, tools and SUSAT's
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Are the 'new' cadet semi-autos converted A1s?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are the 'new' cadet semi-autos converted A1s?

Lastest word from Cadet County HQ is that the cadets will be getting A1s converted to semi that aren't needed for the upgrade to A2s. Hopefully, that is, but they cannot even get issued HK 22 conversion kits after asking for the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
If my info is correct there won't be any spares!
The powers 'that be' turned down the cadet semi-auto option back in 1990.
What has changed?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen a (legal)straight pull SA80 but don't know it's source or cost. I'd always fancied one as the guy who was using it was having great results. I thought the cadets had the same. I've a mate nearby has something to do with cadet training I'll ask.

Taffy
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If my info is correct there won't be any spares!
The powers 'that be' turned down the cadet semi-auto option back in 1990.
What has changed?

I have no idea, just the latest gossip from County. I'm missing the Cadsaam this weekend where there might be further info available but hopefully I'll find out next week if there is any more news. I've sent my spy along to get the full story (for those that know him, it's Rowan, so I might be better off waiting to read it in the press!).
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Rowan the spy!

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Rowan the spy!

We might not be able to understand his reports, but he'll make them anyway!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top