Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2013 7:24:41 PM EDT
Quite a while ago during the height of the panic, someone posted a state statute that prohibited business from restricting the number of items a customer could buy.
If someone knows what it is could you please post it again? I really don't feel like going page by page through my state statute book. Lol

One of my walmarts is now limiting people to 6 boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quite a while ago during the height of the panic, someone posted a state statute that prohibited business from restricting the number of items a customer could buy.
If someone knows what it is could you please post it again? I really don't feel like going page by page through my state statute book. Lol

One of my walmarts is now limiting people to 6 boxes of ammo.
View Quote

The Wal Mart here in Clovis limits it to three boxes a day.  ANY kind of ammo counts towards your limit.  You can mix shotgun, rifle, handgun, etc -- but only three boxes a day TOTAL.

Not that it matters, they're always out of it all anyway.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go:

New Mexico Statutes 57-1-18. Limitation of retail purchases unlawful

New Mexico Statutes > Chapter 57 > Article 1 > § 57-1-18 - Limitation of retail purchases unlawful

It is unlawful for any merchant to advertise or offer for sale any item of merchandise with a limitation upon the number of the item that any retail purchaser may purchase at the advertised price. It is further unlawful for any merchant offering or advertising any item of merchandise in his place of business at any given price to refuse to sell to any prospective retail purchaser for cash the whole or any part of his stock of such item at such price. However, this section shall not be applicable to a purchaser purchasing for resale.

Not many retailers know of the law, so take a copy with you when you are making multiple purchases.  

I know of one store that called 'bullshit' and was fined for the act.  Then, several other potential 'customers' went in to make multiple purchases, were refused sale and the retailer ended up back in court with almost twelve counts.  $500 per charge may not seem like a lot of money, but when people band together, well, you get my drift.  A business license can be lost most ricky tick this way.

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If that's the law that's the law.

I think its a bullshit law. It potentially means that you could wipe a store out and the business is not protected. Might not hurt WM but an LGS would hurt greatly specially during a panic buy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think its a bullshit law. It potentially means that you could wipe a store out and the business is not protected. Might not hurt WM but an LGS would hurt greatly specially during a panic buy.
View Quote

Local gun shops don't have to put limits on ammo, they charge such ridiculous prices nobody can afford more than one box at a time
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay, so if a LGS has 15 of an item on sale what is the difference between one person coming in and buying all 15 and 15 people coming in and buying one each? All 15 of that item are going to get sold! Yeah, one person would get all 15 of the item, and no one else would get any, but that would have absolutely no effect on the LGS and their business!
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
To store to play!
Quoted:
Here ya go:

New Mexico Statutes > Chapter 57 > Article 1 > § 57-1-18 - Limitation of retail purchases unlawful

It is unlawful for any merchant to advertise or offer for sale any item of merchandise with a limitation upon the number of the item that any retail purchaser may purchase at the advertised price. It is further unlawful for any merchant offering or advertising any item of merchandise in his place of business at any given price to refuse to sell to any prospective retail purchaser for cash the whole or any part of his stock of such item at such price. However, this section shall not be applicable to a purchaser purchasing for resale.

Not many retailers know of the law, so take a copy with you when you are making multiple purchases.  

I know of one store that called 'bullshit' and was fined for the act.  Then, several other potential 'customers' went in to make multiple purchases, were refused sale and the retailer ended up back in court with almost twelve counts.  $500 per charge may not seem like a lot of money, but when people band together, well, you get my drift.  A business license can be lost most ricky tick this way.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Okay, so if a LGS has 15 of an item on sale what is the difference between one person coming in and buying all 15 and 15 people coming in and buying one each? All 15 of that item are going to get sold! Yeah, one person would get all 15 of the item, and no one else would get any, but that would have absolutely no effect on the LGS and their business!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference is Walmart has trucks in everyday. Where a LGS does not you cannot sell empty shelf space. So the law is promoting hiding stock or chagrining ridiculous pricing.

Whose to say they will get any items back in stock.

EDIT: as another side note, lets say all the 9mm in the store was sold out by one individual (a very common thing still in my area) A customer comes in wanting to buy a 9mm pistol. 9/10 the customer will not buy the gun because the ammo in not available. Which means a loss of a sale. Now limiting will not guarantee that customer looking to buy a 9mm will still have ammo to buy but there's a better chance to buy it.

Out off all the places ive worked at that sold firearms. If the ammo wasn't available the firearm sat on the shelf. only two exceptions was ARs and Glocks. The stuff I saw a surge in sales were revolvers. Because we had the ammo available.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of  Hoarders.

Quoted:
To store to play!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
To store to play!
Quoted:
Here ya go:

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the response and viewpoint clownbear! I'm still not convinced that the law has that much effect on the LGS, but you certainly have a valid point on the gun sales as pertaining to the availability of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the response and viewpoint clownbear! I'm still not convinced that the law has that much effect on the LGS, but you certainly have a valid point on the gun sales as pertaining to the availability of ammo.
View Quote

Thanks for understanding. My main point is to small businesses in general and using the LGS as an example because everyone knows what happened. Unlike WM Cabelas Bas Pro shop, Academy, there is other stuff to sell. While a small business should always expand its inventory, money comes to factory and the potential no availability. Were as the previous big box stores warehouses (academy 1 main warehouse ) they depend on that before going back to the manufactures. in a LGS (or any small business) what you see is what they have with no back up.

If it was up to me business under 30 employees should be able to limit but if limiting shouldn't raise the prices over MSRP
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of all that, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for being understanding.
We ASK that customers limit their purchase quantities.
Almost everyone has been gracious about this request.
Most folks are decent and understanding.
Those who get a case of the ass get a chance to behave responsibly or leave empty-handed.
It sucks to be the bearer of bad news but we have many customers to look out for.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those who get a case of the ass get a chance to behave responsibly or leave empty-handed.
It sucks to be the bearer of bad news but we have many customers to look out for.

Thanks,
Lee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Lee

You shouldn't be concerned with those who 'get a case of the ass'.  It is the guy/gal who calmly remind you of the law, say 'thank you, but you are in violation of state law', and walk out.  That's when Mr. Shit meets Mr. Fan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You shouldn't be concerned with those who 'get a case of the ass'.  It is the guy/gal who calmly remind you of the law, say 'thank you, but you are in violation of state law', and walk out.  That's when Mr. Shit meets Mr. Fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Lee

Very true.
That's why I ask politely that they give others a shot at some goodies.

-Lee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top