Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 8:55:45 PM EDT
Hey where are there some good spots to shoot at the dogs. I'm near ABQ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey where are there some good spots to shoot at the dogs. I'm near ABQ.

Make some rancher friends in Eastern NM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I am up in Taos, and pding can be tough around this state.  You need to get out and comb any federal land that you can find.  Put in the miles.  If you can find any private land, then you should go the landowner protocol route.  You may or may not have much luck.  The drought has been really hard on the towns up here.  I have a couple of spots that I frequent, but they are more of a spend a lot of time on quality shots and forget about quantity.  

It is really tough to find anything that resembles long days of quantity shooting on federal land that is not frequented by other folks.  Usually drinking and blasting like maniacs.  You'll know what I mean when you see the tire tracks going to all of the mounds, with beer cans stuffed in them.  Pretty sad.  I prefer the hike and snipe route as this sometimes lets you find dogs that these idiots miss.

If your scouting federal land, look for well sites or old corrals or outbuildings.  Anything that is man made and in disrepair might have dogs.  The further out and off of the usual routes work best.   Also bear in mind that the dogs have not dropped their pups yet, so if you do find something now, you might be best served by going easy on it, to let the pups "emerge".  That is great fun.

I stumbled on a site last weekend while doing a little land surveying work up north.  An area that I had looked at before with no luck.  This time I took a different road, and bingo.

Good luck,

Craig
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top