Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:15:40 PM EDT
So what is Navajo Lake all about?  I found the state park web page.

Description: Popular but uncrowded 15,600-acre lake with a depth at the deepest close to the dam of almost 400 feet. Three major arms of the lake, the Pine, the San Juan, and Francis gives cruising boaters plenty to enjoy. The river from the base of dam has a world famous stretch of trout fishing and drift boat run on the San Juan River. Great overnight primitive camping in sheltered coves and arms on this lake. Below the lake is the start of the Class II river run of the San Juan River.

Is it crowded as all get out in the summer?  I am guessing the ice fishing isn't so great.  I have 3 sea kayaks but have mostly gotten out of the whitewater business.  Can you walk from raft to raft on the san juan or is it regulated?  One of the rivers I grew up near had so many rafts in summer you didn't need your own....just hop from one to the next.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen any rafters below the dam, but I guess you could.  There are better rafting waters in the area.  Fishing the San Juan can be pretty crowded, but is usually worth it anyway.  The only "fishing" I have done on Navajo Lake is snagging for Kokanee in the fall.  We usually fish the river during the day and snag Kokanee at night.  However, I hear the fishing is pretty good on the lake.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The Lake is GREAT! I lived in the area for 24 years, great camping, fishing, boating! Its just a great place to go spend the weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top