Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2020 10:11:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a nice area. We used to float and trout fish the White River.  It's lost the "remote" feeling with all of the new houses on the banks of the river.
I currently live in central Arkansas, but I would rather live in that part of the state or northwest Arkansas.  The temperatures are slightly lower, the humidity is lower, and the people are easier to get along with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
How much land you wanting?
How close to civilization do you want?

Would not recommend Harrison
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hard to say, own 20 acres here and then I'm responsible for another 50+ where our range is. It's a lot of frickin work. So definitely would not be looking for a big tract. Probably 20 acres or less.
View Quote

I would look at southern Missouri then.

Arkansas does have a slightly higher tax rate and the road system isn't great in the winter (they don't clear the roads consistently especially out in the boonies).

I would look at around the area between Bull Shoals and Norfolk lakes on the Missouri side.  

Another area would be over around Thayer, Missouri which is close to Mammoth Springs in Arkansas.

Normal land is probably around 2-3K per acre.  Farmland will be slightly higher.

If you buy, I would build a house as there are little to no building codes in that area, so you never know what you might get and a lot of houses are older.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You mean in the upper part of AR or MO?
View Quote

Southern MO is what I'm familiar with.

Not sure about Northern AR.

Though it varies by county and city in MO, so I would just research it before you buy.  

The real estate agent should be able to tell you if there are building codes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
In Newton county, AR I went into the county courthouse in Jasper a few months ago about permits for rebuilding a 60's vintage house. Got the deer in the headlights look. About the only thing required is meeting the electric company's specifications for meter box placement and connection to the breaker panel. Downstream of the breaker panel they didn't care. In Newton county it is Carrol Electric Co-op.

Still good to build as if it will be inspected to building and electrical codes for safety, structural integrity and future resale value.

Got to make sure water, electric and paved roads are available. A lot of places you’re lucky to get two of the three already available if looking for larger properties. Also not a lot of registered/filed land surveys in that area, due to land being parceled off thru generations of family.

Over by Ponca is nice. Beginning of the Buffalo River, and lots of elk, but remote and quite a winding drive to Harrison for shopping.

Anywhere on or near US 65 is good to locate if you like more developed outdoor activities and still low population, plus it connects to US 62 into Harrison. Good roads.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Great info, thank you!

Anything I've ever built has been to spec. I remember I was asking an old builder I knew about building with straw bale. He said "you'll never be able to sell that." I said I don't plan on selling it. He replied "well one day your kids will have to." And that made sense. So I went with concrete block and poured them solid.

The electric info is great cause we have a 5KW solar array now so we would definitely do solar out there also. Wonder how reliable wind is? I remember in lower TX we were dealing with constant winds while shooting distance.
View Quote

Wind is sporadic at best.  You might get some good wind, but would have to put up a very large tower.

Solar is so-so.  Think it's around 4 hours with 200 days per year.  Think you can look up on some solar sites to get the exact numbers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stupid question probably, my apologies ahead of time. Does Verizon have decent cell service in that area of AR? Yellville, Mt. Home, Flippin, Bull Shoals, etc?
View Quote

I would look at this link.
Verizon Coverage Map
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing that I would add if you are looking for other power sources are springs.

There are quite a few through the southern part of Missouri by Bull Shoals and Norfolk Lakes.

There might be some in northern Arkansas, but not familiar enough with it.

I would check out Mammoth Springs if you are up around that area already.  Very large spring with good trout fishing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I am with Verizon, and cell coverage is spotty in Newton county. Even from the top of a mountain you can turn 90 degrees and drop a call. Towers are scarce except in Jasper.

I will add that there is sticker shock for municipal water. Monthly bill starts at $45 a month for the first 1000 gallons, $6 per thousand gal after that. Reason is that water is supplied from two counties away by a private company. Electric is around $13 a month for basic hookup charge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of water.

If you find a property you want and it has a well, make sure it is tested before you purchase as quite a few may have problems (some heavy metals sometimes).
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Excellent to know, thank you!

Any idea the average well depth/approximate cost in that area? I know that's a general question that every one is different but we average about $6K for a new deep well with submersible here in S. GA and the water level is usually 150-200 feet.
View Quote

My parents is at 300 feet no idea the cost as it was over 50 years ago.

Last I had heard, it was about $30 per foot as it's mostly limestone.  More if you have granite or some harder rock underneath.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Have a good buddy in the area and drove thru in February. Pretty country and plenty of places to shoot. If you’re looking for a BOL you’ll find like-minded folks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Decent might describe it. You need verizon or AT&T....
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
You might want to expand your search as far South as the Mtn. View area.  That would put you between Greers Ferry Lake and the others to the North.  It would also put you on/near the White River and not too far from the Little Red.

There's a small hospital there and AFAIK there's still some decent land to be found there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top