Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:29:09 PM EDT
Came up with a nasty cold....anyone have any home remedies or know of any over the counter medecine that works miracles.

It started in my throat and now has moved to my sinuses and head. I have been blowing my brains out through my nose for the last hour and my right nostrel is still stuffed up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
wouldn't know....  i always try to keep enough alcohol in me this time of year that the virus doesn't stand a chance

now when i get on an allergy kick (mine are similar to a cold sometimes), Sudafed (the real thing was AWESOME back in the day) and Mucinex are my best friends.  

hope ya get over it quick.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wouldn't know....  i always try to keep enough alcohol in me this time of year that the virus doesn't stand a chance

now when i get on an allergy kick (mine are similar to a cold sometimes), Sudafed (the real thing was AWESOME back in the day) and Mucinex are my best friends.  

We tried that last night at the Electric Cowboy...it didn't help her any

Yeah the only thing that got me was a 4 am visit face down in the porcelain thrown and a wickied hang over

fyi..i hate jagger
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Zicam worked for me when I started feeling sick. I would not necessarily suggest the quick disolved tablets unless you like cherry flavored chalk. There is a wide variety of methods to take it. Helped kick whatever was getting me sick in a couple of days. Just read the directions because there are some weird directions like do not drink or eat for 15-30 minutes after using the quick disolve tablets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We tried that last night at the Electric Cowboy...it didn't help her any

Yeah the only thing that got me was a 4 am visit face down in the porcelain thrown and a wickied hang over

fyi..i hate jagger

see, yer doin' it wrong....  can't just get your week's worth in one night.  more like replace ALL of your water intake with BEER!!!

and i sometimes wonder why i'm fat......

oh yeah, Jager's good.....in moderation
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Alcohol be bad if your gettin' sick, suppresses the immune system.  I concur the Zicam quick dissolves suck ass, they taste like cherry shit out by a baboon, plus you can't drink anything for 15 minutes after you take it.  The only thing I've found that I thought worked to any degree was the stuff made by Theraflu, it's like Zicam, but you mix it up in a cup of hot water, don't remember the exact name of it, but it'll be right next the Zicam stuff.  Taste is'nt great, but tolerable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys...now if I can get cowboy to get out and get me some medicine.

Jagger is ok but I had a shot of surfing on acid and 5 other mixed drinks. I'm not a drinker and didnt really realize I was having about 7 different alcohols in only 3 differet drinks. Some of those alcohols i had never had before. Next time I wont mix so much.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Cold, cold what? Feet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Zicam worked for me when I started feeling sick. I would not necessarily suggest the quick disolved tablets unless you like cherry flavored chalk. There is a wide variety of methods to take it. Helped kick whatever was getting me sick in a couple of days. Just read the directions because there are some weird directions like do not drink or eat for 15-30 minutes after using the quick disolve tablets.

Stay away from the nasal spray and nasal gel Zicam!  There have been several reported cases in medical literature of people PERMANANTLY losing their sense of smell after using the nasal Zicam.

I will use oral Zicam every 3 hours, and Echinicea tablets 3 times a day.  Start it at the first onset of cold symptoms and stay on it for a couple days after they resolve.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
i would get something with a lil of everything in it.... ha! if u can find it

i normally stick with a good combo worse case sudafed (the original...remember its behind the counter now) and an antihistamine

so 30 to 60mg sudafed and 25mg of benadryl will fix it every time hope your feeling better
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That is interesting. I guess I am glad I got the quick disolve tablets. I will let my friend know about this cause I think he uses the nasal spray or gel. That would suck losing your sense of smell cause your food would taste different and you would never know if your crap stinks anymore!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Two 'healthy' shots of Jack and a tub of water as hot as you can stand it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay away from the nasal spray and nasal gel Zicam!  There have been several reported cases in medical literature of people PERMANANTLY losing their sense of smell after using the nasal Zicam.

I will use oral Zicam every 3 hours, and Echinicea tablets 3 times a day.  Start it at the first onset of cold symptoms and stay on it for a couple days after they resolve.

Damn are you for real.

I just bought a bottle and have been using it for the last two weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Theraflu seemed to help with all the pressure in my head but it kept me up all night. Nyquill has helped me sleep through the night but doesnt really seem to be making me any better. The zicam things you stick up your nose seems to help me breath through my nose. Its been over a week and still can't completely shake it. It hasnt all been bad cause I have shared my cold with everyone so now they are all as miserable as I am....hehe
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn are you for real.

zicam.vanosteen.com/

No shit.  Google "Zicam, loss of smell, lawsuit" and see what you come up with.  

Zicam has been associated with the onset of a condition known as anosmia, which leaves the user with a potentially permanent loss of smell and taste. These side effects typically are irreversible. The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) currently is collecting and evaluating reports of severe reactions to Zicam.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn are you for real.

zicam.vanosteen.com/

No shit.  Google "Zicam, loss of smell, lawsuit" and see what you come up with.  

Zicam has been associated with the onset of a condition known as anosmia, which leaves the user with a potentially permanent loss of smell and taste. These side effects typically are irreversible. The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) currently is collecting and evaluating reports of severe reactions to Zicam.

thanks for the heads up i threw the shemp in the trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top