Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2019 6:09:08 PM EDT
Word is, from a city councilman, that the democrat majority is poised to introduce an ordinance banning all semi auto firearms within Lincoln city limits.

Current discussions on a new firearms storage ordinance introduced by Councilman Roy Christenson  were an attempt to block the actions of the democrats, but was pulled back due to issues with the in vehicle storage of long guns.

That storage ordinance will be up for debate at the Oct 21st meeting of the council.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be crazy!

Nebraska NEEDS Preemption!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it would be crazy, yet I think they are going to try it unless we can cause enough backlash to make them think about the unintended consequences.

And thinking is not their strong suit
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Mayor LGB will be giving a news conference presumably regarding this Thurs. 9/26 at 10:00 am room 303 of the city/county building.
Please come if you can! there won't be Q and A   so bring a provocative sign!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Any update on this?   Can't find anything online.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The news conference turned out to be a bit of a "nothing burger". LGB announced support for the two ordinances in the works, praised the task force etc.
Asked if there was other legislation forthcoming she said there were things being considered but nothing to announce now. The sheriff's dept. will be
offering free gun locks to anyone who comes in and asks for one, so one thing I can be supportive of.

We probably need to do a statewide preemption ballot initiative. It seems like the only way to keep the Dem controlled urban areas in check!
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Just saw this on NFOA's facebook. Is there anything we can do, people we can contact to not have this happen?

Forgive my ignorance, but what processes are there for cities to pass laws pertaining only to that city? Can anyone veto it like gov ricketts?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Mayor did not share this idea at the press conference yesterday, but l think they are waiting for the right time.

Keep your powder dry, but be ready to act when the time arrives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Monday October 21st the Lincoln City council will take comments on the proposed ordinance change in storage of a firearm in an automobile.
Any firearm left unattended would have to be secured in a hard case attached to the vehicle.  It's problematic for several reasons as well as
more incremental erosion of our 2A rights.  This could impact anyone visiting Lincoln from out of town so anyone can write to the City council and
comment ahead of the hearing emailed comments will be added to the record.

email them here: https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/council/contact.htm

Here is a letter I emailed to them recently, please borrow any of it you like to build your own message.

I am writing this in regards to the ordinance amending Section 9.36.110 of the Lincoln Municipal Code relating to Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle proposed by councilman Christensen. The council member is to be commended on recognizing a serious issue for the safety of Lincoln's residents. Teenage thieves are an ongoing problem. My neighborhood typically experiences a rash of auto break ins every spring and fall. Teenage criminals with stolen weapons is certainly a danger to our fine city.

I must however take issue with the proposed ordinance changes. ARTICLE I Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Nebraska in part states:

the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of
self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting,
recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be
denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof.

This ordinance places the burden to reduce teen theft on the victims of the crime rather than on the criminals, as such I see this as an infringement of the Constitutional rights of Lincoln residents. Nowhere in this ordinance does it address the root of the problem, teenage thieves, nor does it seek to punish said thieves but instead punishes the victims of the crime.

Additionally there are inherent problems with the storage requirements.  A person without a State of Nebraska concealed carry permit who secures a firearm in the glove box of their vehicle while operating it  is in violation of State law in that they are concealing the weapon and could be charged with committing a felony offense.
I drive a pickup truck, currently when transporting a long gun I put it in a soft case behind the seat of my truck. I don't believe there is a lockable storage container that would meet the requirements of this ordinance that would fit behind the seat of my truck. I would be in violation of this ordinance if transporting a long gun in the manner I currently do simply by exiting the truck and entering a store for a short amount of time.

Again Councilman Christensen is to be commended for recognizing a serious problem in our city and the desire to "do something" however I would like to see the solution directed at the criminals rather than potentially making criminals of law abiding citizens. I would be curious to know if any of the teens who where apprehended with stolen firearms were sentenced to 6 months in jail or fined more than $500? Could you look into that and get back to me?

I would like to suggest that rather than making criminals of currently law abiding citizens and visitors to our community, the city council focus on stopping or more severely punishing the actual criminals. Also, education and outreach to inform firearms owners to encourage  safe storage habits would be a better solution than punishing them for being victims of crime.

Sincerely, Ghost Gog NE

If we could pack the hearing with Pro 2A folks it would send a strong message to the City Council. If you can make it or encourage anyone you know to attend and preferably  make a statement
objecting to the new ordinance it could discourage the council. It's overwhelmingly Democrat so it's an up hill battle. We need all the help we can get!
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything come of this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top