Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2005 12:24:21 PM EDT
im kind of curious about the fact that this looks like the least posted in hometown section, makes me kind of afraid to move to kansas.

please tell me i won't have trouble finding local members to shoot with when i move out there in june.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of the State are you moving to?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Around here in Leavenworth, we're too busy shooting to post...  
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
People still live in Kansas???
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
lol
im pcsing to riley, and im planning on getting an ffl
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the problem is that all the Cornhuskers have scared off all the good, decent Kansans!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
This forum should be renamed East Nebraska & East Kansas. Then form a separate High Plains Hillbilly forum for guys that live in the "sticks".  
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
well, im a pretty active recuiter of members from the military community/ word of mouth at ranges and such, so hopefully i can jump up the kansas membership, i don't want to be all alone.

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL Well I live in northeast Kansas and have lived in Kansas all my life except for a year and a half in Arizona. I'm new to AR15.com but look forward to posting here! Now all you cornhuskers can quit laughing. lmao! Good hunting in both states! Although I can't seem to get away to visit Neb. during a hunting season. Sure would like to try out there in the badlands sometime. Used to know a guy who hunted there alot and it sounded really cool! Thanks for listening to this ol' Ks shooter and hunter! Cya soon! Gotta keep ya'll honest. lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Havent you heard Kansas is flyover country nobody actually lives there
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Near Riley, is a place called "Tuttle Creek State Park".  They have a 100 yard range (about 2-4 years old) that's pretty nice.  It also has a 25 yard pistol range.  Both are covered.

The range is actually in the Fancy Creek park area.  It's open every 1st full weekend & 3rd weekend.  There are quite a few shooters in this area too.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
im kind of curious about the fact that this looks like the least posted in hometown section, makes me kind of afraid to move to kansas.

please tell me i won't have trouble finding local members to shoot with when i move out there in june.

More shooting, less talking.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
hey dustybiker, I am in northeast KS too, MO river is in my back yard-literally can see it out the back door.

wugunguy
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a few Kansas posters around. We just don't hang out much in the hometown forum.

As a result, I think it actually IS the least used forum here.

Link Posted: 2/17/2005 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Another Kansas shooter checking in.   I live in Lenexa, which is a suburb of Kansas City to the south.   Currently, the range situation involves either driving an hour and a half, or paying lots of cash.  As a broke college kid, I don't  shoot nearly as much as I want to :) (but who does!)
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#16]
They're all busy breeding and torchering each other!
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They're all busy breeding and torchering each other!

Shouldn't you be manning a water station or fondling your OLY HBAR instead of pestering some poor Kansas folk?    
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Another Kansas shooter checking in.   I live in Lenexa, which is a suburb of Kansas City to the south.   Currently, the range situation involves either driving an hour and a half, or paying lots of cash.  As a broke college kid, I don't  shoot nearly as much as I want to :) (but who does!)

Olathe here, so not far from you.
Yeah, severe lack of good ranges around here. Long drive or high prices is about all you get to pick from.
Thankfully, I have some friends that live in Warrensburg, so I go spend a weekend with them now and then just to go to the range.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You are aware of the shooting range at Pigeon Hill, south of St. Jospeh right?  The price is right for a college budget: F-R-E-E....  Traffic depending, you should be able to get there from Lenexa in about an hour...
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey I work in Lenexa! How big of range is that outside St Joe?
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
It's on MO state wildlife property and has a 25 yard, 50 yard, and 100-yard shooting area.  Each of the shooting areas can accommodate approximately 5-6 shooters on line.  Overcrowding is a possiblity on a busy weekend/holiday, but I've never seen it (I go mainly on off-days).  It also has a trap/skeet shooting area (BYO pigeon throwers).  It also has an archery range as well.  

Some things to keep in mind:  1- The range is unmonitored (no ROs), you work out the downrange movements with your fellow shooters.  2 - You provide your own target stands for shooting pistols at realistic pistol distances (short of the 25 yard berm)  3 - they provide orange "snow fences" at each distance to attach targets to; the best way to secure targets are to mount them to cardboard and secure to the fence with zip ties  4 - shooting facilities are nice, but the site is austere - bring your own food/drink (no vending machines on site), but there is one permanent outhouse style latrine (use it at your own risk).  Hope this helps...      
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
sounds good...approx. where is it at?
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
sounds good...approx. where is it at?

It is a little south of St. Joseph - east of I-29.  Worst part is that there is no off-ramp/exit that will take you directly there. Get off I-29 at exit 35, drive West thru twon of Faucett and turn north on route A.  Run route A a few miles north until you reach intersection of Route A and Route O.  Turn east on Route O and look for sign/right hand turn to Pigeon Creek Wildlife/Rec Area.  This road takes you past the landfill and turns into a gravel road that takes you directly to the range area...  It sounds worse than it is...
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#24]
hey wugunguy, nice to meet ya. I live up by Perry lake. Darn fools kept shootin up the signs and trash barrels where i use to shoot so the engineering corps shut the site down. Now I gotta find someplace to try out my new cetme and new ar-15. If I had more time to scout around I know I could find some farmer that would let me use a bluff or something to shoot into. I got these two new guns and am chomping at the bit to shoot them, LOL.   Well nuff said, I tend to rattle on when talkin guns. lol.   Ya'll take care and stay safe! Dustybiker
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Leawood here. You havent heard of Parma Woods? Its just outside of Parkville. Maybe 28 mi from my house. Its a nice setup and public. $3.00 an hour and they have range needs if you forgot anything n/c.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#26]
 Parma woods or Lake city range's are nice.  Great hunting around fort Riley also.  Let me know when

you get there.

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Olathe checking in.  Whats up Kansans.   My Buddy and I also go to Pigeon Hill to shoot.  I think it's a good shooting area.  Wish they made a 200 to 300 yrd shooting range @ pigeon Hill.  In the summer time, I have access to a private ranch in Louisburg with 4 large ponds where I go to shoot my guns.  The farmer doesn't like the snappers in the ponds
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Olathe checking in.  Whats up Kansans.   My Buddy and I also go to Pigeon Hill to shoot.  I think it's a good shooting area.  Wish they made a 200 to 300 yrd shooting range @ pigeon Hill.  In the summer time, I have access to a private ranch in Louisburg with 4 large ponds where I go to shoot my guns.  The farmer doesn't like the snappers in the ponds

The Great Kansas ARFCOM Shoot sign me up!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys I'm in Overland Park, usually end up shooting rifles down by Moran on private land and pistols at the Bullet Hole. Anyone else go to the bullet hole?
Glockloving redleg- there should be a rod and gun club on Riley if my memory serves me right.  Your also not that far from Topeka should be alot of stuff there. Welcome to Kansas
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to go to the bullet hole. Its a cooker in the summer and freezer in the winter. Where about in OP? Im in Leawood  across the street from Watts Mill
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hey guys I'm in Overland Park, usually end up shooting rifles down by Moran on private land and pistols at the Bullet Hole. Anyone else go to the bullet hole?
Glockloving redleg- there should be a rod and gun club on Riley if my memory serves me right.  Your also not that far from Topeka should be alot of stuff there. Welcome to Kansas

I go to the Bullet Hole, now and then.
I should probably go more often since I'm still pretty crappy with a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in the Baldwin area. My main indoor range in winter and rain was the Target Zone in Topeka (no membership required). They went belly up. Went to the Bullet Hole for a while. The Target Zone is back now under new management and new name of Kaw Valley Gun Club. Bullet hole is a freezer in the winter. The Target Zone was cool in the winter, but not as near as bad as the Bullet Hole. In good weather, I have access to a backyard/field. Never been to any of the other ranges (Tri-county, Capital City, Powder Creek, etc.) Too expensive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I used to go to the bullet hole. Its a cooker in the summer and freezer in the winter. Where about in OP? Im in Leawood  across the street from Watts Mill

I'm over by 91st and Switzer. I've been thinking about checking out powder creek @ 83rd and Monticello for the rifles. Has anyone shot there? Is mill creek out by Desoto still in operation?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm over by 91st and Switzer. I've been thinking about checking out powder creek @ 83rd and Monticello for the rifles. Has anyone shot there? Is mill creek out by Desoto still in operation?

Wow,  You live about 2 blocks away from my ex girlfriend!  I live in Lenexa about 93rd and Lackman.  Powder Creek is a great shotgun range, but the rifle/pistol range is so-so at best (they aren't too keen on our evil black guns, either), and it's pretty expensive IMHO.  last I knew, it was $150/year plus a fee every time you shoot.

Mill Creek is still out there, and I've heard a lot of good things about it, if I knew more about it, I'd probably be inclined to get a membership there :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Im not sure, but I believe the reason that I never bothered to go to Powder Creek was the
membership fee, their guest policy and the 1 round rule.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I ask Jeff at the Bullet hole about Millcreek, Still open but you have to go to a once a month tuesday meeting and see if they will accept new members. He said the membership for the first year is 275.00 but goes down alot the second yr he wasnt sure how much though. I guess it is now a 500 yd range.

What is the 1 round rule at powder creek? Only 1 round in the rifle / pistol / shotgun at a time? How do you shoot sporting clays (multipule birds) with one round at a time? If so what kind of sh** is that. If you cant handle a firearm pistol or rifle with more than 1 round it at a time you need to find another hobby.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm in the Baldwin area. My main indoor range in winter and rain was the Target Zone in Topeka (no membership required). They went belly up. Went to the Bullet Hole for a while. The Target Zone is back now under new management and new name of Kaw Valley Gun Club. Bullet hole is a freezer in the winter. The Target Zone was cool in the winter, but not as near as bad as the Bullet Hole. In good weather, I have access to a backyard/field. Never been to any of the other ranges (Tri-county, Capital City, Powder Creek, etc.) Too expensive.

That is no lie - first item in my equipment check before shooting there is a good thick fleece...
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I ask Jeff at the Bullet hole about Millcreek, Still open but you have to go to a once a month tuesday meeting and see if they will accept new members. He said the membership for the first year is 275.00 but goes down alot the second yr he wasnt sure how much though. I guess it is now a 500 yd range.

They can squeak out 500 yards but it shuts down the entire range complex...  To get it, you have to shoot somewhere just inside the front gate or something.  If you don't want to join as a member, but would still like to shoot there for competitions, consider joing the Mill Creek Practical Shooting Leaque.  It meets once a month (2d Saturday of the Month) and they host a pistol, shotgun, and rifle event.  Pretty good turn out.  Membership is only 30.00 per year.  At least that way you could see what the range complex is and determine if its worth your hard-earned money for a membership buy-in...  FWIW, be advised, unless there is a practical shoot going on, it seems to be very bench-rest oriented...  
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What is the 1 round rule at powder creek? Only 1 round in the rifle / pistol / shotgun at a time? How do you shoot sporting clays (multipule birds) with one round at a time? If so what kind of sh** is that. If you cant handle a firearm pistol or rifle with more than 1 round it at a time you need to find another hobby.  

The 1 round rule only applies to centerfire rifles on the rifle range.  With rimfire, and pistols, you can only have 5 rounds in the gun at a time, and with shotguns on the trap/skeet/clays range, you can have 2 in the gun at a time.

Either way, it's a ridiculous rule that is designed to tailor their customer base down to hunters with their deer rifles.  They won't get my money anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1 round rule only applies to centerfire rifles on the rifle range.  With rimfire, and pistols, you can only have 5 rounds in the gun at a time, and with shotguns on the trap/skeet/clays range, you can have 2 in the gun at a time.

Either way, it's a ridiculous rule that is designed to tailor their customer base down to hunters with their deer rifles.  They won't get my money anytime soon.

I've heard similar garbage about Powder Creek.
That and the membership costs keep me out of there. Not about to spend that much to have someone glare at me with disgust everytime I show up with an evil black rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Drache, You are like the 5th or 6th person I have talked to that has negative comments about powder creek. I'm getting to old to deal with that kind of attitude. I went by there today but no one was around. Probably a good thing, the older I get the less tolerant I have become to getting shi**y attitudes from stupid people.

Copperhead 16,  What are the events like? Are there different levels? What type of rifle & pistol events are there? It sounds like it could be a good time.  And If I like the range I can set down and do the math on the cost of gas per year to drive to the farm (south of Moran, KS) So I can probably sell it to the wife based on that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#42]
SW Kansas here. Local 200yrd range $20 per yr and a local rancher built his own 1000yrd range complete with benches and markers every 100yrd that is free to anyone.

Link Posted: 3/4/2005 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Copperhead 16,  What are the events like? Are there different levels? What type of rifle & pistol events are there? It sounds like it could be a good time.  And If I like the range I can set down and do the math on the cost of gas per year to drive to the farm (south of Moran, KS) So I can probably sell it to the wife based on that.

All event are IPSC rules and scoring.  Handgun events are in the morning and are, by far, the most popular.  For those, you compete by skill level and category (revolver, production by mag capacity, or race guns).  Lots of people go there strictly for the handgun and most elect not to stay for the afternoon rifle and shotgun events.  That is ok with me as I generally avoid the large pistol crowds and shoot the long gun only...

Rifle/shotgun events are run what you brung and you compete against everyone, regardless of skill level.    

For handgun events, there is always at least 4 courses of fire.  For rifle and shotgun, there is only one course of fire event.  Rifle is mainly short range CQB style stuff where ARs, AKs, and the like are best.  Any rifle is welcome though.  For example, I ran my lever action carbine once.  Occasionally, they run a long range COF out to 200 or 300 yards.  Shotgun is also shorter range using a mix of buck and slugs.  Sometimes, shotgun and rifle are combined or team events.  For all three weapon types, targets consist of IPSC standard (humanoid) and reactive steel.  There are usually barriers and other props that also make the COFs interesting.    

I recommend maybe heading out there to watch any event you may be interested in first to get a feel for how they are run...  
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Copperhead 16,

Sounds like alot of fun  I'll try to get out there next week end.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Parma Woods

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#46]
GlockLuvinRedleg let me know when you get to Riley, I am stationed there but I am back in Iraq right now. Riley has a decent POW range on it that goes out to 300 yards and the hunting is great. There is also a public shooting range in Manhatten but it is iffy on when it is ever open. Let me know what unit you go to and when I get back we can go shooting. There are also a couple of gun stores around there but the only one I go to is Santa Fe pawn, the rest are too pricy. For ammo there is a guy in Junction City that sells ammo and has pretty good prices, I will try to get the number to you if I can find it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Drache, You are like the 5th or 6th person I have talked to that has negative comments about powder creek. I'm getting to old to deal with that kind of attitude. I went by there today but no one was around. Probably a good thing, the older I get the less tolerant I have become to getting shi**y attitudes from stupid people.

Guess I wasn't quite clear on that. Not personal experience, just what I've heard about the place from some other guys that went there.

I sort of figured if they couldn't tell me anything good about the place then what would be the point of going out there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm in Lawrence right now going to KU, but the parents live in Overland Park.  I usually shoot out by Mill Creek gun club down on the sand bar. The local police say you can shoot down there since its outside city limits and not privately owned. You can't shoot in the surrounding woods though because someone owns the land.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm in Lawrence right now going to KU, but the parents live in Overland Park.  I usually shoot out by Mill Creek gun club down on the sand bar. The local police say you can shoot down there since its outside city limits and not privately owned. You can't shoot in the surrounding woods though because someone owns the land.

So this is a free range then?
Not owned by anyone?
and I could go shoot whenever i want?

Detail man, give me details! I think we're on to something here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top