Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 5:35:47 PM EDT
I know, I'm obsessed.  The way our CCW bill went down the tubes just pisses me off.

Over the next couple of months I'm going to be putting together some ideas for another CCW law, even though after finally reading our state consitution I don't think we should even need a law.  I would like input from any of you who have a couple of minutes and some ideas of things you would like or not like to see brought up.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 Priority: Neutralize T-shirt Ernie C.!
I despise that assclown!

P.S. I'll get back to ya with some ideas that are actually possible!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
#1 Priority: Neutralize T-shirt Ernie C.!
I despise that assclown!

P.S. I'll get back to ya with some ideas that are actually possible!

I could'nt say it any better......on both counts!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless they would go with something as simple as South Dakota's permit system without all the weasle words that get thrown in I would just as soon keep it the way it is now.

We need shall issue, hunters safety course should qualify as training, need to drop all the can't carry places they put in, we have a fee and background check in place with the pistol purchase card, make that the carry permit, need to honor any permit issued by any-other state, need to issue non resident permits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Unless they would go with something as simple as South Dakota's permit system without all the weasle words that get thrown in I would just as soon keep it the way it is now.

We need shall issue, hunters safety course should qualify as training, need to drop all the can't carry places they put in, we have a fee and background check in place with the pistol purchase card, make that the carry permit, need to honor any permit issued by any-other state, need to issue non resident permits.

David, how does shall issue work? I'd like to at least be able to carry a loaded pistol in the glove box or under the seat of my vehicle. I'm not real interested in packing during an average day at the present time, but I don't want someone to tell me I can't if I ever decide to do so.

Usually on the weekends I have a loaded AR in the passenger seat anyway, just in case I want to go shooting or hunting at any given time. But it would be nice to have more options than we currently have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Shall issue is just a term meaning that no one who can legally own a firearm will get turned down for a permit.

South Dakota has this.

States like Iowa it's up to the county sheriff's personal preference so in some counties it depends upon if you are in the secret handshake club or not.

In Nebraska we have open carry so if the handgun in your vehicle is not in a locked compartment and is within easy reach then it need to be laying out in plain site if you get pulled over. Just lay it on the dash in plain site.  In omaha after taking a class and paying a fee you can get a permit for carrying concealed in your vehicle. I can not comment about Lincoln.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently in the same club as David.  I firmly believe that our constitution gives all the legality needed to allow each of us to carry concealed on his or her person or in a vehicle, the only problem is, the legislature and law enforcement doesn't see it that way.

I'm going to post this again because each of you need to be familiar with it:

Nebraska Constitution
Article I:
Statement of Rights

CT-1

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of the property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Being that this is the very first article of the constitution shows the importance someone placed on it and when you look at the line "the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for all other lawful purposes." you wonder why this is even an issue.  To bear doesn't specify concealed or non concealed, it simply means you have the right to carry a weapon for defense or any other legal activity.

I agree with David on another point.  We already have the card issued to us for purchase of a pistol, I don't buy the sheriffs association argument that this will create a lot of paper work for them, it doesn't need to create any paperwork at all.

This is also the time of year during which those of us in business will be receiving calls from the Nebraska State Patrol Assoc. and the Nebraska Sheriffs Assoc.  This year I'm going to tell the caller no and I'm going to tell them why I'm saying no.  These organizations worked against my right to CCW and there is a price for that................ sorry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]
What are your thoughts on this?

At the very least we need to get a law passed in Nebraska which would make it legal for a person to carry a weapon in a vehicle in any location within the state.  I would suggest for this the Colorado Law.

18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms In private vehicles.
(1) The general assembly hereby finds that: (a) A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other Private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of such Person's or another's person or property, as permitted in sections 18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c), may tend to travel within a county, city and county, or municipal jurisdiction or in or through different County, city and county, and municipal jurisdictions, en route to the Person's destination; (b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions with regard to the Circumstances under which weapons may be carried in automobiles and Other private means of conveyance;
(c) This inconsistency creates a confusing patchwork of laws that Unfairly subjects a person who lawfully travels with a weapon in or through One jurisdiction to criminal penalties because he or she travels within a jurisdiction or into or through another jurisdiction; (d) This inconsistency places citizens in the position of not knowing When they may be violating local laws while traveling within a jurisdiction or in, through, or between different jurisdictions, and Therefore being unable to avoid committing a crime.
(2) (a)Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this Section, the general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in Private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for hunting or For lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while Traveling into, or through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and County jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in A jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense. (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, County, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any Ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with A weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance FOR HUNTING OR for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or Property while traveling into, or through, or within, a municipal, county, Or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person Stops in a jurisdiction.

My question to is this.  Would this seriously affect the chances of getting a CCW law put into effect and what strategy would be best for accomplishing both?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally from Pawnee County here.
 The issue of concealed carry is two fold. The state needs to usurp all authority on the firearms/use issues from local and lesser within state governing bodies(take a look at the Florida CCW rules;they state right in there they preempt all lesser laws on the firearms issues and that standardizes the laws(you can get one of their CCW thru the mail as a non-resident[good in FL and many reciprocal states with FL]). This should be done prior to any CCW legislation. Perhaps the people could push for one of these than after gaining this law, pursuing CCW.
 I've noticed the past few years this bill came up in the Unicameral, one opposed to it in committee hearings was Gun Owners of America(GOA). I'm not sure what influence they had, but they are not for permitting of our rights.
 I well remember the NE 1ST article when it was ammended back in the mid-60's. It was even broader than it is now in stating our rights of defense(they actually rewrote it to narrow it's meaning, which is what you quoted now above. Some used it's meaning as a basis to shoot people stealing christmas lights).
 I'm just curious; what is the first time and additional time penalties in NE for being caught carrying concealed? Here in Illinois it is a 3 year felony. It used to be the first time was a misdemeanor and then any other times a felony. One cannot carry in the open or in a vehicle here.
 I would have thought that a-hole Ernie Chambers would have been dead and buried by now. He must be pushing antiquity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
What would ever entice someone to move from Nebraska to Illinois?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What would ever entice someone to move from Nebraska to Illinois?

I hear ya!

Anyhow a public safety pension with 70% of pay, and 5 years left to retire back to the 40 in Pawnee County!

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top