Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2020 1:23:40 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Not an Alaskan, but my brother is.
He relocated up there about 2 years ago from VA.
He's former military and law enforcement and is working in hospital security now in Anchorage.

My dad shipped him an AR a year or so ago, but my dad just called me and said he doesn't have any ammunition for it!

So Operation Arm Thy Brother is underway. My dad and I have scoured the interwebz for deals, only for my dad to find out shipping ammo up there is very difficult.

Someone usually says something like "he failed to stock it, his problem". Well the guy went through a rough divorce and don't have much of anything, and bills and his kids are priority.

Sooo, any tips on how we can get him some ammo?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeonardC] [#1]
Buy him a reloading (HANDLOADING!) outfit for Christmas?

In the top ten bad things about AK is getting things shipped up here that you can't find on the shelf...and the shelves are often poorly stocked!  If you see something on the shelf you may want, you better grab and not think about it cause it will be gone before you get another chance.

ANC has Cabela's , Brass Pro, and Sportsman's WH.  Other than Costco I haven't been to a store in ANC for over a year, so don't know what they might have.  Some of the smaller shops may have something; the bigger chains seem to have a pecking order and AK is last on the list!

I don't check for loaded ammo, but Sportsman's in Wasilla had no primers, very few bullets, and very little powder last time I was in.

USPS to the rescue for bullets and unprimed brass.

If flying up here you can carry up to 50#of ammo in checked baggage on Alaska Air.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah can’t ship Ammo up here. Except through barge which gets really expensive. Not in anchorage but I’m sure 5.56 is pretty hard to come by.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could be that generous, but I don't have a reloading set up myself, and I believe he's living an apt which would not provide sufficient space.

I found an ad on Arms List I forwarded him. We shall see if it pans out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Alaskaslist.com

Will probably have some ammo for sale.

Naturally you/he will pay a premium.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Alaska Ammo and Northern Security both had 5.56 when I was there a couple weeks ago
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Alaska Ammo also has a live inventory site, you can check out whether or not it's worthwhile going there to begin with.

And if anyone has any leads on small rifle primers in the valley or anch........
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Try  gunsalaska  newer site may have some luck there
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brokeeye:
Try  gunsalaska  newer site may have some luck there
View Quote
thanks I completely forgot about gunsalaska
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Alaska Ammo also has a live inventory site, you can check out whether or not it's worthwhile going there to begin with.

And if anyone has any leads on small rifle primers in the valley or anch........
View Quote

Northern Security and Great Northern had a bunch of primers a couple weeks ago, not sure now
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By deputytrueblood:

Northern Security and Great Northern had a bunch of primers a couple weeks ago, not sure now
View Quote
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By czechsix:

View Quote

It's Alaska Ammo though.  Even if I was on my last box, I'd never shop there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is that?

Also if anyone sees small pistol primers let me know!
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#13]
Originally Posted By desentis:
Why is that?

Also if anyone sees small pistol primers let me know!
View Quote

The owner has a much deserved bad reputation.  Saying anymore than that tends to get you banned from Arfcom because he goes screaming to site staff since he's a member here.  One very good long time member got the ban hammer because of that a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
3 bears has ammo sometimes, especially if you wanna drive to Tok haha But rolling your own is where it’s at in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, if he can't find anything else, I have some bulk ammo(62 gr XM 855 I think), I would sell him an unopened 420 can at whatever the going price is..I hate giving up ammo but if somebody has no ammo I would...I have no clue what the stuff even sells for nowadays..
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskas] [#19]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

View Quote

Never forget GraniteClimber!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By alaskas:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Or GreenLabel *cough* namechange *cough*
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:28:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskas] [#21]

View Quote

View Quote

Or GreenLabel *cough* namechange *cough*
View Quote

Well, I guess anyone who did that might be ashamed enough to change their name.

Or worried about how their personal actions may or may not affect their business.

GraniteClimber. GreenLabel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep checking the stores!  .223/5.56 does show up from time to time, but it does not stay on the shelves for long! Like anything else during this time, watch out for 'scalper' that are taking advantage of the situation!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I had the kid with me last week so I got 4 boxes of 9mm at cabelas. Haven’t found Blackout since august.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
if he needs ammo that bad I will sell 200 rounds to him and not at inflated prices
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:17:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#25]
Alaskaslist.com has all the ammo you want for about $1/rd.

https://alaskaslist.com/-3/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/599882_5_56mm_Ammunition.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top