Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2019 1:25:02 PM EDT
The title says it all. What's that area of Alaska like for jobs, taxes, gun laws, politics, and so on? All I know about Alaska is Seward's Folly, lots of wilderness, and polar bears.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The title says it all. What's that area of Alaska like for jobs, taxes, gun laws, politics, and so on? All I know about Alaska is Seward's Folly, lots of wilderness, and polar bears.

Thanks.
View Quote
For that area of Alaska? Rain.  It's a pretty challenging place to live economically, as there are few roads. Everything has to be shipped in. Populations are tiny.  Energy is expensive. What is your trade/profession?

Juneau is the Washington D.C. of Alaska, the main industry is government. The politics match it. Our governor is highly conservative but like Trump he is making a lot of mistakes.  The State Senate is GOP but the House is Democrat-controlled thanks to turncoat snakes who ran as Republicans to get elected and then caucused with Democrats to give them control of the House.  They use that control to block all attempts to pass a sustainable budget.  So actually, things in Alaska's government are a lot like they are nationally now that I think of it.  Except for the majority in the House here was achieved through several people fraudulently running as Republicans.

There are no state income taxes, but that will probably change as the state's reserves dwindle due to low oil prices and the state's refusal to live within its means.

Watch the "Limbo" on Amazon Prime to get a feel of the area.  It was filmed in Juneau. It was set there, but not really ABOUT there.

https://www.amazon.com/Limbo-David-Strathairn/dp/B07HM9ZCQY/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=john+sayles&qid=1559699222&s=gateway&sr=8-7
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

As far as skills? I have none. Profession? Move paper from pile to another, drink coffee, work on the Penske File. I avoid my bosses and do as little as possible while still collecting a paycheck. I'm basically the real life version of Wally from the Dilbert cartoons.

I'm good with small communities and/or rural living. I'm just thinking about options for my future.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

As far as skills? I have none. Profession? Move paper from pile to another, drink coffee, work on the Penske File. I avoid my bosses and do as little as possible while still collecting a paycheck. I'm basically the real life version of Wally from the Dilbert cartoons.

I'm good with small communities and/or rural living. I'm just thinking about options for my future.

Thanks.
View Quote
Considering your skills we don’t need you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. Thats funny. He's  right, you do need a skill to offer up here or you will get nowhere fast. Housing is an issue and not cheap. 1500 month for a small apartment is normal.
Have a good job well before you come up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
We should just have a FAQ section about moving here. I love the people that think it's 1972 and they can just show up and get an oil field job or that houses and land are just being given away like the wild west
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We should just have a FAQ section about moving here. I love the people that think it's 1972 and they can just show up and get an oil field job or that houses and land are just being given away like the wild west
View Quote
Its sad seeing some of the homeless guys downtown in the fall who came here with nothing no plan and things didn't work out for them.  Now it's slowing down, getting cold, and they're stuck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
It wasn't like that at all. I have some cash, a house I outright own now that is semi-rural and will sell, am looking to buy a few acres and put up a small cabin somewhere rural, and get some kind of menial job to put a few shekels in the kitty. I was just thinking the panhandle because I don't want the deep freeze year round as I imagine Alaska to be.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
A few acres anywhere but a village will be 500K or more.
You will not be received well just dropping into a village.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A few acres anywhere but a village will be 500K or more.
You will not be received well just dropping into a village.
View Quote
So your avatar isn’t just a random photo of the Mendehall then

Gustavus and Haines have some parcels in the 5-10 acre range you can find for 150-200k if you watch hard.  Islands have 1-5 acre lots you can pick up under 100k but you’re truly off the grid there and you need $60k+ in boat if you’re going to be reliably traveling to/from anywhere along the inside passage.

Any of the “big” cities in southeast are between a mountain and an ocean (think the beach), so like LES said you’re not gonna be able to afford a few acres.  My .18 acre 3 bedroom is currently assessed at 380k and it’s not in a rich people area.  Do a google on Juneau’s “housing crisis” and you’ll find plenty
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its sad seeing some of the homeless guys downtown in the fall who came here with nothing no plan and things didn't work out for them.  Now it's slowing down, getting cold, and they're stuck.
View Quote
Everyone out there still thinks it is boom times.  Fish hard and die rich, or the streets are paved with gold.  Those damned gold mining shows don't help.

I worked at a church answering phones after hours during the 1982 bust.  We used to get so many people who flew, or drove up, with their last nickel looking for just a few dollars to go back home.

They assured us they would pay it all back, but they were here without a job, family, friends...nothing....

I hated having to tell them, as a teenager, there was no money to give them.  There were sandwiches in the fridge if they were hungry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It wasn't like that at all. I have some cash, a house I outright own now that is semi-rural and will sell, am looking to buy a few acres and put up a small cabin somewhere rural, and get some kind of menial job to put a few shekels in the kitty. I was just thinking the panhandle because I don't want the deep freeze year round as I imagine Alaska to be.
View Quote
Good luck.  There is not much in the way of menial jobs, either.  You should probably spend your two weeks holiday down there to get an idea of what you are trying to get in to.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha. My avatar is my own pic. Yes, I live and work here. I have a great full time job and have my own heating company on the side. Skills, you have to get them to do okay.
I do bust my ass and it pays off to live here. I gold prospect and still haven't found the right street to dig up....mabey I'll move to Kotzebue. Way cooler up there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#13]
panhandle has had some serious droughts the last few years and its making cities that use to use hydro power burn diesel now. Utility bills can be as outrageous as the shipping costs for dam near anything. Just so you get a very clear picture the state has been teetering on the verge of implosion and massive spending cuts, one of those is cutting the alaska marine highway system back drastically. We don't have a state income tax or sales tax (YET) it's coming. Even on the road system things are stupid with inflation and housing. My house on 3 arces near wasilla was 245K 6 years ago, now $318 is what a REALTOR told me she could get all day long for it. Unemployment in the state is 6.5% statewide while national is 3.8% we have issues here and we are trying to fix them before everything shits out in a hurry.

Alaska may have high unemployment but many of the jobs you will not get medical insurance at all, or if you did you can't afford it. Many insurance companies are shipping people to seattle for routine or elective surgeries because it saves them nearly 35%. If you have a job skill other than office work you might be able to make it but it's cut throat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know. It sounds like he will fit in to Juno just fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, it's abundantly clear moving to the panhandle is unrealistic. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:It wasn't like that at all. I have some cash, a house I outright own now that is semi-rural and will sell, am looking to buy a few acres and put up a small cabin somewhere rural, and get some kind of menial job to put a few shekels in the kitty. I was just thinking the panhandle because I don't want the deep freeze year round as I imagine Alaska to be.
View Quote
If you're entirely self-sufficient -- carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, food/hunting/fishing, etc. -- you might make it and love it.  Otherwise expect your money to go quicker than you expect, even if you find work. Work + self-sufficiency is the ticket!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're entirely self-sufficient -- carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, food/hunting/fishing, etc. -- you might make it and love it.  Otherwise expect your money to go quicker than you expect, even if you find work. Work + self-sufficiency is the ticket!
View Quote
Aside from the fact as an outsider in small rural communities even in south east he will be looked at as a carpet bagger and it will be hard to generate income.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ha. My avatar is my own pic. Yes, I live and work here. I have a great full time job and have my own heating company on the side. Skills, you have to get them to do okay.
I do bust my ass and it pays off to live here. I gold prospect and still haven't found the right street to dig up....mabey I'll move to Kotzebue. Way cooler up there.
View Quote
I'm assuming this is said tongue in cheek? We briefly contemplated a job in the medical field up in Kotzebue, and even though the compensation was decent, I thought no way, that place is most likely a shithole.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm assuming this is said tongue in cheek? We briefly contemplated a job in the medical field up in Kotzebue, and even though the compensation was decent, I thought no way, that place is most likely a shithole.
View Quote
Most likely?
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kotz has some good hunting,fishing and pretty country.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
We don’t need any more recruits for Alaska’s Free Shit Army..
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We don’t need any more recruits for Alaska’s Free Shit Army..
View Quote
Stop voting for them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stop voting for them.
View Quote
I’ve voted against princess every time since she inherited that position

Otherwise in my liberal AO my boy doesn’t mean much but I still try
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Stop voting for them.
View Quote
lol... Muh money...
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#26]
They're trying to recall Dunleavy now for the crime of trying to balance the budget.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They're trying to recall Dunleavy now for the crime of trying to balance the budget.
View Quote
They think He is Trumps brother trying to ruin the world.
The ferry is missed, but people are pissed at the workers for shutting it down. Dunleavy didn't tell them to strike.

Yeah, the ferries are back to work. Glad that didn't last long, hope they got a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Had the radio on yesterday and was told the ferry workers had been without a contract for 3 years.  Must blame the present Gov. for the strike?

In any case, I hope ALL parties to the contract got a FAIR deal.

I moved our little pickup up on the ferry, packing many "nasty things" Canada did not want hauled across its roads, and really enjoyed the trip.  I can understand why Alaska, esp. SE and Kodiak, needs the system.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah the Grandparent in-laws were worried they wouldnt be able to get their truck and camper off Kodiak to come visit next month.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This state is so damn entitled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top