Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2012 3:01:56 PM EDT
In the lower 48 it is ok for a non-FFL to ship to a FFL in any state as long as that firearm is legal to own in their state. Is this the case for HI or must it go from FFL to FFL? I went to the ATF's section to confirm for HI but either over looked it or it isn't there.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Try calling the dealers to see if they can do it or not. Here's a semi up to date list of gun shops/FFL dealers: http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=5.0
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the FFL it went to doesn't know for sure, just checking here. Thanks for the info, will try a few.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the 48 the Upper 48 for HI???

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
In hawaii you can ship from private party to out of state FFL just like any other state... Though I wouldn't be surprised if one of the local shops tried to tell you otherwise.  I do it all the time.  

I hope someone isn't trying to get you to pay a transfer fee to ship a gun out of hawaii.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Long guns can go via USPS (which is cheaper than UPS or FEDEX).  You do not need to ship from an FFL as per Federal law.  But I will warn you, many FFLs personally require it come from an FFL.  It is not Federal law to do so, but many dealers do it to limit liability.  I had to search here in AZ to find a dealer that will accept transfers from non-FFL sources.  You will need to include a copy of your ID for the receiving FFL's log book.  They have to list where it came from as per Fed law.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks ya'll and that is what I figured.

At first I was not 100% on if the rifle was legal for him to own in HI. After a few hours of research, I found out it was GTG but wanted to use my FFL to make it eaiser. Due to a change in plans such as not being able to get by my FFL in a timely manner, my FFL going up on shipping charges after the buyer sent payment, I shipped it myself as I have done several times upstate with out any problems. Now the buyer thinks it might be stolen since it was sent that way and the FFL it went to sent it to his local PD to be "cleared". I swear, try to help a fellow shooter out and get bit in the arse.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In hawaii you can ship from private party to out of state FFL just like any other state... Though I wouldn't be surprised if one of the local shops tried to tell you otherwise.  I do it all the time.  

I hope someone isn't trying to get you to pay a transfer fee to ship a gun out of hawaii.

I didn't eat any transfer fees but did go in the hole a few dollars on shippng as it was $93, lol. There must have not been any of his local fun shops that had a SKS as I sure as hell would not pay that much for shipping, not for a SKS anyway...

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh so you shipped a gun to hawaii.  As long as it came through his FFL, what does it matter?  Not like the guy didn't have to take it in to register anyway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ugh...registered gun sin Hawaii.  I'm from Kauai, and am there all the time, and I can not stand it that you now have to register guns there.  

The gun laws there are why in Kauai, I have one rifle and one pistol, and here in Texas I have about 60 guns with many of them being registered SBRs and full autos.  Why oh why can't the gun laws in Hawaii change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top