Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2008 12:50:45 PM EDT
After test firing my new upper, I have found out it FTE's. The action doesn't cycle at all. After comparing it to my A2 upper, I see the gas tube sticks out 1/8 inch further into the reciever on the new upper. Anybody know where I can take this, because I don't have an action block or a punch set to remove the gas block pin.

EDIT:The BCG is not moving at all. After 10 test shots I changed out the BCG with the BCG out of my A2.
Also I am using a standard buffer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...I don't have an action block or a punch set to remove the gas block pin.

Sounds like a good reason to get them.  I wanted to put a single point sling on but didn't have an armorer's wrench... I do now.  Seriously though, Steve over at Alaska Tactical has all that shit.  I'm sure he could hook you up.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have guessed a gas problem.  Is it getting any?  Did the BCG move at all?  Maybe the barrel port and gas block aren't lined up.

Alternately you could be over or under buffered.

Is the FTE consistent or does it happen frequently.  I had to upgrade to an H2 buffer on my SBR to make it eject spent cases.  Gas was pushing the BCG back hard enough to prevent ejection, and the spent case would ride on top of the new cartridge.

Alternately you may be over buffered, in which case reduce the buffer weight.

More info needed.  I would initially expect there to be some discrepancy between your existing lower and the upper before assuming the upper is flawed.  But things sometimes are put together wrong too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the update.  I'm guessing your gas block port is not lined up with the barrel port.  I'd try to see if you can move air through the gas tube to the bore or the other way around.  Maybe some canned air or something.  I'm guessing you don't get much communication either way.

Might double check that the bolt rotates freely in the BCG too.

ETA:  Dumb question, you don't have a switchblock or adjustable gas tube to restrict gas flow?  Might inspect the gas tube for pinch points too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It's hard to say without looking at it.
Bring it over to my Armory, and we'll check it out.

Danomite!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bring it over to my Armory, and we'll check it out.

Danomite!

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I think there must be an offer to break it in too, what did you have again?
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I' Serious!

I'm always willing to help a brother out!
Greybear knows!

you say you are frozinAK, so you must be close to me!

Of course I would not mind doing some shoot'n too!

Danomite!

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I can conveniently carry it up to Danomite Sunday night.  Heading north Sunday returning Tuesday night.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Greybear, you are truly a kind hearted soul.

FrozInAK,  the choice is yours.  I have a Associates Degree in gunsmithing, and am the armorer for the Police Dept, and a COLT certified Armorer for the M16/AR15 series of weapons.  You will not find a more qualified person in this state to work on an AR.
You may owe Greybear a beer, and me: I have two weeks off with nothing better to do!
Danomite!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, was busy with work and school. Talked to Danomite and it seems i am too late. Thanks for the offer greybear though. I am going to bite the bullet and buy some tools.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a front site block and the DPMS armor wrench.  I don't have the upper/lower vise block yet though...
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
If the gas tube is an 1/8 further back than normal, that may be an indication that the tube is not actually lined up and pinned into the front sight post. Something to check on. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Where are you at?
If you are in Fairbanks and can be patient I can probably help you
Chris
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the gas tube is an 1/8 further back than normal, that may be an indication that the tube is not actually lined up and pinned into the front sight post. Something to check on. Good luck

Truth, worth a look.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I was going to look into that as soon as my tools arrive in the mail so I can take off the rail safely.
I am near Anchorage Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top