Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 3:59:36 PM EDT
Gained access to another float plane to get me close to a small lake where I had shot a moose earlier but due to time and weather was unable to retrieve the horns.  Found a growler had buried the head and horns and the rest of the scraps and we had to lobb a couple of the bird dispirsal shotgun rounds at him to leave.  Had one person manning the Beowolf full time while we dug the horns up as I really expected him to come back and defend his diggs. but he didn't.  Was really fortunate I was able to get the horns out now as it would of been a real pain chopping the entire head/horns out if  I waited till it froze up and went in by snowmobile. The first photo shows the hunge mound he made over the entire kill site.  Looked like a beaver house.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking moose and great story.  what part of Alaska are you in again and tell me about those Solar Pannals you have there in the pic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Artic Bear:
We live 30 miles upstream from the village of Ugashik on the headwaters of the Ugashik River which is 80 air miles straight south of King Salmon.
The solar array in the background is a dual axis tracker which is a part of our alternative energy system that provides us all of our power needs year round. Have not strarted our backup generator in over a year.  If your interested let me know and I can send you a link to our on line photo album about our system.  I don't sell them but they have made a believer out of me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, it looks like you live in one of the nicer areas of the state.  I have really enjoyed my new house and not having to live on slope any longer.

That is a big 10-04 on the solar info and link.  It may take a little time but I would like to not be so dependant regarding power.  

Thanks again.

arcticbear
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
U Bob, any reason you didn't want to plug the bear? Closed, special permit? The area I hunt we try to take as many bears as possible and it has made a real diferance in the number of calves were seeing.

by the way, how big did he go? I'm guessin 58-61" but my guesser's been off for a few years now.

later,
D
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
THanks for the pics, it gave me some ideas.

I liked the beer taps in the kitchen
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Darktop:
Would of loved to of plugged the bear but the season isn't open till 10/01. We are also restricted to one bear every four years and a every other year season. This regulation was slam dunked by the commercial hunting intrests years ago with no biological data to back it. It effectively limits resident numbers competiting in the field for there 15K a pop cash cow.
My original guess was mid to high 50's but I was pleasantly surprised to find after being measured with a steel tape by three different people it went 66 7/16.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Bob,  Beautiful rack.  Looking at the brush surrounding the burial site and knowing there was a bear nearby would definitely keep me on my toes.  All we have in hawaii is the occasional wild pig running though our brush.  If it's okay I'd also like more info on that array you have, I have some as yet undeveloped acreage that's well off the grid and I need to plan accordingly.

ETA:  Thank you for the links to the photos.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
U Bob, I totaly understand your situation. I hunt in 13 and 20 and the biologists really would like the number of bears taken to increse greatly. Tis is based ob biology and not guide pressure. I try to do my best and the guys I hunt with are no strangers to chasing bears either. We try but lets face it the largest numbers of bears are always going to be taken close to the road system and then only a few miles from the road. Really need a deeper penetration into the remote areas to get the bear numbers down. On a good note though we are already seeing a greatly improved number of moose and Caribou claves. i would like to think it is from the arial harvest of wolves that was started last year in GMU 13. i hope it continues. now to get the bear numbers back in check.

Looks like you do your part in the wolf sector. Keep up the good work and let us see what you get this winter!

I got a moose early in our trip this year and stayed several extra days trying to get a bear too. unfortunantly we didn't even see a track in areas that we always see them. Maybe it's working after all.

Good huntin' to ya,

D
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#9]
http://community.webshots.com/album/51325081tYBJQs

The above link is to online photo album for our RE system. It has worked very well for us. I don't sell them but they have made a believer out of me.  If you want more specifics email me at [email protected].
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
http://community.webshots.com/album/51325081tYBJQs

The above link is to online photo album for our RE system. It has worked very well for us. I don't sell them but they have made a believer out of me.  If you want more specifics email me at [email protected].

U Bob,

I've got tears in my eyes and I just picked myself up off the floor. My sides are sore and I can't stop laughing.

Please tell me that's an OOSIK handled double draught beer tap!!!

I gotta have one of those   ; )

D
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought everyone had dueling Oosik's for there beer tap handles. We have some spots under our floor with permafrost that we keep our kegs of homemade beer on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Just finished boiling the skull with sal soda. Now I have to get some 3% peroxide to mix with some other voodo crap to bleach it out and I'll be done.  Butt ugly work. Haven't decided if I will hang it on my garage or make a hood ornament for my Argo with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Sir, you are my HERO!!

D
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just finished boiling the skull with sal soda. Now I have to get some 3% peroxide to mix with some other voodo crap to bleach it out and I'll be done.  Butt ugly work. Haven't decided if I will hang it on my garage or make a hood ornament for my Argo with it.img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rdreeszen/Skull3.jpg

Sir you are my HERO!!...................... in regards to the dueling Oosik tap handles that is.

I say go for the hood ornament. Just don't grunt and piss on the ground as your bashin' through the brush next  fall!

On second thought DO grunt and piss on the ground next fall, just have the rifle ready  : )

D

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top