Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2003 7:08:58 AM EDT
Think of places to relocate just cause I hate this area (Northern Virginia) someone was trying to talk me into moving to AK. Maybe Ankorage are, maybe not.

My wife is a special ed teacher and I am an Internet engineer (WAN). What are job prospects like there ?

Hows cost of living ? Hows the weather ? (neither of us are hot weather people at all)

How's the shooting there ? public land to just set up and plink like in the SW ?

Shipping all my guns may be a pain though.

Other Pros ? Cons ?

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You may want to look at my point hope threat in this section it has some of what your looking for.

OregonShooter
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Point hope is not anchorage, Kenai , Sewrad , fairbanks or any real sized town . I'll post some replys to your questions in the morning .
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Point Hope is a small village in the middle of no where. The road accesable area are great. Plenty of work for teachers but I think the internet market is kinda overloaded everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
well lets address these one by one. Your wifes job , well special ed teachers are in demand here in sht andhcorage school district but there is a huge budget shortfall of 26 million so no idea if many teachers are going to lose there jobs. BUT in the private field there are several places she could work. your job . Internet engineer, well like most places techie jobs are getting slim pickings but up here should be fairly easy to get yourself in the door with a bigger company up here and do that stuff. Cost of living ahhh average home in anchorage is 189,000 + . weather is fairly nice , we get cold snaps like now when it is -10F but usually that doesn't hit till Jan or feb. this year it has shown up early . plinking is getting tougher to find spots locally that haven't been used by roadside cowboys and full of trash etc. but several great ranges in the area. hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top