Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2022 12:40:38 AM EDT
I grew up in AZ and was spoiled by the fact I could drive 20 mins (kind of an exaggeration but not by much) in any direction and be able to shoot. I dont do the indoor ranges. I am looking for the closest outdoor place to shoot as I like to go often.

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
couple outdoor DNR ranges, one in Polk City and one near Carlisle.

couple private ranges, one with a long waitlist

Des Moines rifle and revolver is a 2 year wait last I heard

Issac Walton league in Elkhart is an option but you have to figure out their schedule a lot of times I have heard (IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, HS Trap).

there is a decent long distance range near Afton about 1:15 from Des Moines if you bring your own stuff you can shoot closer ranges
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ankeny Ikes is your best bet.
Dragoon Trail Chapter
4857 Northeast 110th Avenue, Elkhart, Iowa 50073, United States
Available Ranges

4 Trap Ranges
3 Manual Trap Throwers
Archery Range
Bay 1 - 100 Yard Rifle Bay
Bay 2 - 50 Yard Rifle/Pistol Bay
Bay 3 - 50 Yard Rifle/Pistol Bay
Bay 4 - 50 Yard Rifle/Pistol Bay
Bay 5 - 35 Yard Rifle/Pistol Bay

https://ankenyikes.org/
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same boat when I moved here. I’m a member at HLOA

Wide ~35yd bay
100yd range
Main has berms out to ~800yd

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Warren County Izaak Walton League is another option.  It would be about 20-25 miles south of Des Moines right next to Lake Ahquabi.  4 trap stands, at least 1 manual trap thrower, covered rifle and pistol range up to 150 yards and they have a calendar posted online for range closures and other events.  Here is the website:  

https://warrenikes.com/

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The Colfax Gun Club is another option for shooting out to 200 meters.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes but the range made changes to the direction of the shooting lanes, beefed up the berms, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
When I moved here about 10 years ago, and asked where to shoot my new gun, someone told me to crank a few rounds off on the east side. Seems to be valid still.  

Don't actually take that advice seriously.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top