Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 10:10:20 AM EDT
Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Random Google link
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I am hoping for good news from Gov. Reynolds at the end of this week!  Send her a quick email in support.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife will like this. Still gonna get her into a class but she's been getting more and more interested in carrying.

I told her if she's serious I'll pay for her class and permit, but if she's actually going to carry she needs her own gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
here's an easy way to send Gov Reynolds an email, takes 30 seconds.

Iowa: Ask Gov. Reynolds to Sign HF 621 & HF 756

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/11874

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Went ahead and hit that for good measure.

Ive talked to several folks that voted for her that aren't exactly thrilled with her, so this could be a hell of a bone to throw the base to keep them happy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Any updates as to when the governor might sign this? Haven't seen anything new in a few days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks. Sent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sent as well.

Forwarded to those that I know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Done
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Sent

I do like to spend my spare time in IA
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any updates as to when the governor might sign this? Haven't seen anything new in a few days.
View Quote

I suspect she's waiting for things to cool down a bit.  I think she has 30 days (?).  Culver waited awhile before he signed the shall issue bill as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I suspect she's waiting for things to cool down a bit.  I think she has 30 days (?).  Culver waited awhile before he signed the shall issue bill as well.
View Quote
That would make sense. For some reason I had it in my head that she only had 7 days. Not sure where I got that from.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]
So, just how does permit-less carry work in other states, that we currently have carry permit reciprocity?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sent

View Quote

If only your state would honor our permits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sent

MN won’t accept WI permits either.

I sponsor one or two Mn PTC classes every year in the small border town of New Albin, IA. Many work in La Crosse WI and have to travel thru MN to get there.

If your state would allow MG, I might move back to IA
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]
So is this law yet or not? Iowa law is after she received this  she has 3 days to sign, veto or do nothing. It has been past 3 day so this should be law.  Or am I wrong on this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So is this law yet or not? Iowa law is after she received this  she has 3 days to sign, veto or do nothing. It has been past 3 day so this should be law.  Or am I wrong on this.
View Quote

The bill becomes law upon the Governor's signature or after three days during the session if the Governor takes no action. Bills received by the Page 2 23 Governor during the last three days of the session have to be signed or vetoed within 30 days.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
So it is law then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The bill becomes law upon the Governor's signature or after three days during the session if the Governor takes no action. Bills received by the Page 2 23 Governor during the last three days of the session have to be signed or vetoed within 30 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since session doesn't end until April 20th or so, does this mean it's law without her signature???

If so, it takes effect July 1. Correct?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Since session doesn't end until April 20th or so, does this mean it's law without her signature???

View Quote

Yes, mostly.

More detail here, as the Governor has a decent amount of authority to veto some provisions.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/LP/696315.pdf

Bills passed by the Legislature must be reviewed by the Governor. The Governor takes final action on all bills passed by the Iowa General Assembly. The Governor has three options: sign the bill, veto the bill (or item veto an appropriations bill), or take no action. In the case of a veto, the Legislature may override the veto with two-thirds of the members of each chamber voting to reconsider and pass the bill a second time. If, during session, the Governor does not sign or veto a bill, it becomes law after three calendar days. Bills received by the Governor during the last three calendar days of session must be signed or vetoed within 30 calendar days.

The Governor has the option to use three types of vetoes: the veto, item veto, and pocket veto. The veto indicates the Governor’s disapproval of an entire bill. The item veto may be used only for bills that appropriate funds. It strikes a specific item of an appropriations bill. A pocket veto occurs when the Governor fails to take action within 30 calendar days on a bill received within the last three calendar days of session. The entire bill fails to become law. When the Governor vetoes or item vetoes a bill, a veto message explaining why the veto was made is delivered to the chamber of origin with the bill before it is filed with the Secretary of State. The Legislature may override the veto if two-thirds of the members of each chamber vote to pass the bill again. The Governor’s veto messages can be accessed on the Iowa General Assembly website in the “Enrolled Bills” section and on Billbook.
Iowa

Iowa actually has numerous powers that do not get used often, which is generally good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my takeaway.

(I am by no means an expert on legislation ).
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, just how does permit-less carry work in other states, that we currently have carry permit reciprocity?
View Quote

"Iowans would still be able to obtain permits to carry or acquire handguns if the bill became law, but the process would become optional. Supporters of the legislation say many would still apply for permits so they could carry their weapons out of state. "
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most states require you to have a Resident carry license to honor reciprocity in their state (current constitutional carry states mostly do not, but they are fewer in number).
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#23]
So did you Governor sign it, or do the weak-willed thing and let it pass without her signature, which would be pitiful.

CC is moving ahead here in Texas, and I'd like to be able to add Iowa to the states I can talk about that have it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Signed today!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent!  Both from having it, and having the Governor embrace it, instead of allowing it to pass without a signature.

Working here for Texas to join the group.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Goes into effect July 1st, correct?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Signed today!
View Quote

Came here to post the same.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Goes into effect July 1st, correct?
View Quote

Yes...

Iowafc.org

We need you to join.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
So we'll still have to get a permit to carry out of state or at the minimum get a permit to purchase in order to buy handguns or avoid the NICS call on long gun purchases. Doesn't really seem like much of a win unless you plan on never leaving the state.

Now mn has another reason why they won't ever recognize our permits (not that they needed one). I would much rather have the right to keep and bear arms added to the state contsitution than this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone have a link to the new laws passed?   The bill in Iowa code.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So we'll still have to get a permit to carry out of state or at the minimum get a permit to purchase in order to buy handguns or avoid the NICS call on long gun purchases. Doesn't really seem like much of a win unless you plan on never leaving the state.

Now mn has another reason why they won't ever recognize our permits (not that they needed one). I would much rather have the right to keep and bear arms added to the state contsitution than this.
View Quote

Can't blame constitutional carry for not being able to carry in another state - that's up to that state, and if they have CC, or permit only carry.

Same for avoiding the NICS check and wait and extra expense - not a fault of CC laws.

Should not affect if other states honor a Iowa carry permit.  CC laws are in addendum to CHL laws, not a replacement of them.  Usually a state requires another to have much the same rules as they do - I think MN went down the crapper when they started getting pissy about if you could get a CHL if you were 18-21 and in the military.  My Texas one used to be valid there, but now isn't.    

No reason why you can't lobby for that into your state constitution as well -it's not one or the other.  Be aware that many gun grabbing states have that in their constitution as well. It's words on paper that mean nothing if Democrats are writing laws, and are appointing judges.  They will claim that as long as you can eventually buy a handgun and keep it only at home, with any manner of permits / fees / waits / rationing / approved only lists, then everything else is legal.  Blame the Supreme Court for that - they haven't ruled on 2nd Amendment cases in over 10 years - apparently every single lower court has gotten it exactly right.  Or more likely, John Roberts is a bed wetting coward who pisses himself in terror and shame anytime a leftist says a mean thing about him, so he's turned traitor.

And Constitutional Carry isn't for us gun enthusiasts who have accounts on gun boards.  It's for single parents who are working some crappy minimum wage job while trying to raise their kids, and don't have the time / money / energy to obtain a concealed gun license.  Or for the wife who leaves her abusive husband, and hasn't been allowed by him to get a permit, and needs to protect herself right now.  

This is a great win for you guys and you should enjoy it, and thank those who worked hard to get it passed.  We aim to do the same in Texas this session.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Still think my response was better!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want Canada to have CC since we have it here in ID but doesn't work that way. I am glad to see the changes Iowa has made in the time I have been away. Still lots to be done but generally going the right way.

I also believe the amendment for RTKBA is on the ballot either this year or next (can't remember the timing).
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I also believe the amendment for RTKBA is on the ballot either this year or next (can't remember the timing).
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I knew my comment would rustle some feathers but I'm just not that hyped up about this change. At first is sounds great until you really start thinking about it, yeah you can carry in IA without needing a permission slip but that's as far as it goes

You still need a permission slip to buy a handgun which is stupid with this new law change. If you can carry a gun without a permit why do you still need a permission slip to buy a handgun, the NICS call should be enough. Actually is was always stupid to need a purchase slip when the NICS call does a background check and this new change makes it even more dumb.

States that recognize IA's permit won't recognize the permit less carry so you still need to get the permit every five years.

Any pro gun law is a step in the right direction but As far as I'm concerned, until at least all the states we currently have reciprocity with acknowledge the new change this is nothing more than a feel good law.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I knew my comment would rustle some feathers but I'm just not that hyped up about this change. At first is sounds great until you really start thinking about it, yeah you can carry in IA without needing a permission slip but that's as far as it goes

You still need a permission slip to buy a handgun which is stupid with this new law change. If you can carry a gun without a permit why do you still need a permission slip to buy a handgun, the NICS call should be enough. Actually is was always stupid to need a purchase slip when the NICS call does a background check and this new change makes it even more dumb.

States that recognize IA's permit won't recognize the permit less carry so you still need to get the permit every five years.

Any pro gun law is a step in the right direction but As far as I'm concerned, until at least all the states we currently have reciprocity with acknowledge the new change this is nothing more than a feel good law.
View Quote

To a point that is somewhat the case in other CC states. You can travel to ID and carry without a permit as long as you meet the requirements (age, legal to own). I believe only WY and ND is resident only for CC. So that is 17 states I believe you can concealed carry in. You need to push your federal critters to drive National Carry laws. It's proposed yearly and dies yearly.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This bill also removes the need for a permit to purchase handguns.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations, Iowa!  A win, even if small, is still a win.    
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is actually good news.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, read the new law.  This law removes the need for any permit to purchase handguns.  You do not need a permit of any kind to buy a long gun or hand gun in Iowa after July 1st.  
All Federal laws still apply so a NICs check is required.  

You must not be from Iowa or not old enough to remember that Iowa used to be a May issue state, that meant that if your county Sheriff didn't like guns or you didn't contribute to his campaign fund, you were not gonna get any permit to carry.  Like the anti-gunners always say when they sign an anti-2A bill into law, "This is the just first step in the right direction."

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Congrats Iowa, we have come a long way!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I live on a town that overlooks the Mississippi and work in Illinois.

My Illinois coworkers are insanely jealous and it feels like I'm living in another country on our side of the river

A couple of them are planning moves after IL's bullshit law enforcement reform act.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#45]
So does this mean the Dorr Knobs have nothing more to spin for fundraising purposes, and will never be heard from again (in Iowa at least)?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So does this mean the Dorr Knobs have nothing more to spin for fundraising purposes, and will never be heard from again (in Iowa at least)?
View Quote

They can try for parking lot carry, but I don't think enough people want it for it to raise anything meaningful.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope so. IGO can eat a bag of dicks. IFC gets my money, because they get shit done.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top