Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2018 1:52:53 AM EDT
I hadn't heard about this season until I went just now to buy tags.

Apparently we now have a late january antlerless season which runs january 11-27 but is only avalible in allamakee, appanoose, clayton, and wayne counties.

This season, like late muzzleloader, is open to anyone reguardless of what other seasons they hunt.

The real kicker is the legal methods of take include centerfire rifles (not just straight walled) the book says any caliber over .224"

Anyone know how this came about? It is a temporary thing? Or can we expect to have this option from now on?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
From the regs pamphlet

January Antlerless-only Season
Only antlerless deer may be taken during
the January Antlerless-only season. Hunters
may participate in this season regardless of any
other deer license they have obtained. Hunting
is allowed on public land, and private land with
permission. Nonresidents are not eligible to
participate.
Shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, rifles
shooting straight walled cartridges, bows and
center-fire rifles may be used in the following
counties: Allamakee, Appanoose, Clayton and
Wayne (see map p. 6). See p. 31 for definitions of
legal method of take.

LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE
Archery: Longbows, recurve bows, and
compound bows shooting broadhead arrows
are permitted. No explosive or chemical devices
may be attached to the arrow or broadhead.
There are no minimum draw weights for bows
or minimum diameter for broadheads. Arrows
must be at least 18 inches long. Draw locks on
compound bows are legal.
Crossbows are not legal except that a
physically handicapped person, as defined on p.
12, may obtain a permit from the DNR to use a
crossbow. Applications are available at
www.iowadnr.gov/hunting - click on “Licenses
and Laws” and then on “License Applications,”
or by visiting the DNR central office or any of
the district offices (p. 45), or by calling the DNR
at 515-725-8200. Residents 70 and older may
obtain one Antlerless-only statewide crossbow
deer license. See p. 34 for details. Hunters
may not carry a handgun while hunting under
an archery tag, unless they have an unfilled
transportation tag for a season that allows
handguns or a valid permit to carry.
Shotguns: 10-, 12-, 16-, and 20-gauge shotguns
shooting single slugs only.
Muzzleloaders: Flintlock or percussion cap
muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and
.775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading
pistols .44 caliber or larger. Muzzleloaders
equipped with electronic ignition are not
allowed. There are no restrictions on in-line or
disk-type muzzleloaders. Riflescopes may also be
used.
Handguns/Rifles: Center-fire handguns .357
caliber or larger, and rifles shooting straight wall
ammunition with an expanding-type bullet (non
full metal jacket).
Deer hunters age 16 and under may not use
any handguns. Deer hunters ages 17 through
20 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian
or spouse who is at least 21 years old to use a
handgun.
Center-fire Rifles: Rifles .24 caliber or larger.

Allowable Straight-walled Cartridge Criteria:
¦¦ Center-fired straight-walled rimless cartridges
chambered for handgun use with bullets from
0.357” to 0.500” diameter and a case length
from 0.850” to 1.800.”
¦¦ Center-fired straight-walled rimmed cartridges
chambered for handgun use with bullets from
0.357” to 0.500” diameter with a case length
from 1.285” to 1.800.”
¦¦ The following cartridges do not meet the
above criteria, but are allowed: .444 Marlin, .375
Winchester and .45-70 Govt.

Then there is a chart on the next page which I can't get to display properly that shows both straight wall cartridges and centerfire rifle above .224 caliber for the January season yet only straight wall cartridges for all other seasons.

Whether this is a misprint or not I don't know, but didn't they allow this previously when they held the same season in the two southern lower tier of counties a few years ago?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they allowed centerfire rifles in the 2 southern tiers, I didn't know that was a seperate season from 1st and 2nd shotgun though. I wasn't hunting then, so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

It's not a misprint, it'sbon their legal method of take chart as well. They also defined centerfire rifles as those having a bore over .224"

I have a clayton county tag for it. I think I'm going to put a 1-4x on my marlin 336 30-30 and use that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I noticed that also looking at regs last night. I also noticed they allow crossbows during late muzzleloader season. Don't remember that before either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noticed that also looking at regs last night. I also noticed they allow crossbows during late muzzleloader season. Don't remember that before either.
View Quote
They at least allowed it last year.
Crossbows and centerfire handguns
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like northeast Iowa has too many deer.  DNR does these special late seasons from time to time to keep numbers in check.  The southern Iowa thing lasted two, maybe three years.  I'm sure this one will be a year to year decision.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that's tempting to see if my wife's uncle can get us on some land - he used to hunt in that area quite a bit.  I'd like to drop a deer with an M1.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that's tempting to see if my wife's uncle can get us on some land - he used to hunt in that area quite a bit.  I'd like to drop a deer with an M1.
View Quote
Keep in touch. I've been asking around for the same reason. Wouldn't mind getting one with my BM59 too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keep in touch. I've been asking around for the same reason. Wouldn't mind getting one with my BM59 too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I hunt in Wayne. I might have to take the boy then since he is missing youth season.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought about getting a tag up on the northeast corner of the state don't have any land to hunt on so it have to be on public but I don't have much going on that time of year so I'd have plenty of time
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought about getting a tag up on the northeast corner of the state don't have any land to hunt on so it have to be on public but I don't have much going on that time of year so I'd have plenty of time
View Quote
Discussing the idea with a friend(another member), maybe we could find a big enough area to put together a hometown forum hunt. I know of at least 3 who want to kill a deer with an M1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Discussing the idea with a friend(another member), maybe we could find a big enough area to put together a hometown forum hunt. I know of at least 3 who want to kill a deer with an M1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll draw them into the open by throwing an empty clip, so they think I'm reloading.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll draw them into the open by throwing an empty clip, so they think I'm reloading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm game and lol @timthemedic
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just need to get and load some softpoint bullets. Got over 2 cans of fmj but nothing appropriate for deer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good time to me, can't say definitely one way or another yet.  Anyone know of any decent public ground up that way?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good time to me, can't say definitely one way or another yet.  Anyone know of any decent public ground up that way?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

This is likely where I will be.

Be very careful on the roads around there in the winter. I could easily see someone sliding off the road and falling FAR.

It's very hilly
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116019/20181007_234727-697895.JPG

Be very careful on the roads around there in the winter. I could easily see someone sliding off the road and falling FAR.

It's very hilly
View Quote
I've fished there never hunted but it sure looked like it would be good
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116019/20181007_234727-697895.JPG

It's very hilly
Sure does.  If I can go, you'll be able to ID me by 8 rapids rounds, a ping, then 8 more, then a "fuuuuuuckk!!!"
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sure does.  If I can go, you'll be able to ID me by 8 rapids rounds, a ping, then 8 more, then a "fuuuuuuckk!!!"
View Quote
Don't know if I'm going to use the M1 or not now..just  finished an AR in .357 AR Maximum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know if I'm going to use the M1 or not now..just  finished an AR in .357 AR Maximum.
https://i.imgur.com/LLliUmu.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Of course, i could get an extra tag...the foodbanks can always use deer too. Plus, every deer we kill is another off the roads.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sweet! Let us know how well it works in the field. I just bought two Stripped lowers recently. I may have to do a Maximum after all these years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sweet! Let us know how well it works in the field. I just bought two Stripped lowers recently. I may have to do a Maximum after all these years.
View Quote
If I get ammo made and get a scope in time absolutely. Friend of mine has a mold for .357. I plan to use. Bullet from it looks like the "armor piercing"9mms on Lethal Weapon 3. Mught not be very good for hunting but they should feed well for the range.

Once I get it running anyone thinking about building one is welcome to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh nice
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top