Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 10:32:48 AM EDT
All this talk of repatriating a considerable number of M1s from the Philippines has my mouth watering. The M1 is the one rifle I want - no - need - that is not in my safe.

Is IFC a CMP affiliated organization? Sounds like the NRA as a whole is not. I'm a member of the local Ike's, but the local club is not affiliated. Maybe National Ike's is...

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
CMP website will give you all the Iowa affiliates.  I know Ames Ikes is affiliated, depending on where you're located you may be able to do a local membership there.  The easiest club to join is the Garand Collectors Association.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I second the Garand Collectors Association...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Third on the GCA.
If you are a veteran they take a copy of your DD214 or your NGB Form 55 to fulfill the shooting requirement.
I'm grooving on the one I got last year.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Deleted. See above ^
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine!

sorry for my crappy photos
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Third on the GCA.
If you are a veteran they take a copy of your DD214 or your NGB Form 55 to fulfill the shooting requirement.
View Quote
It's my understanding you had to have been in for at least 6 years to qualify.  Check their rules for sure.  I did 24 years so it was not and issue for me.  I also joined the GCA.  I get a great magazine every quarter.  

I owned 6 Garands at one time but I'm down to 3 now.  I also have a carbine and a 1903A3.  They are works of art and not just a rifle.  I doubt I will jump in on these rifles but everyone should help themselves and own a piece of history.
kwg
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Iowa State Rifle and Pistol Association is a CMP affiliate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's my understanding you had to have been in for at least 6 years to qualify.  Check their rules for sure.  I did 24 years so it was not and issue for me.  I also joined the GCA.  I get a great magazine every quarter.  
I owned 6 Garands at one time but I'm down to 3 now.  I also have a carbine and a 1903A3.  They are works of art and not just a rifle.  I doubt I will jump in on these rifles but everyone should help themselves and own a piece of history.
kwg
View Quote
I don't actually remember seeing anything in the rules about it, but had seen on the cmp forums that they took the forms so called and asked.
Was told they did and that was about as far as the discussion went so don't know.
Easy way to check is to call; just don't mention on the forums that you called.
Yeesh.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

kwg
View Quote
I was under the impression that it was not 6 years - just a "normal" hitch was sufficient.

OP, just join GCA, as others have suggested.    There are lots of ways to meet their requirements.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing about the GCA is that they send you a pretty cool quarterly magazine all about the M1.
And joining gets you one step closer to being one of the cool kids that has a M1.
Just do it already; come on, you know you want to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it for sure!

I was big on garands and 1903s about a decade ago, moved on to other things but I cherish my cmp M1 and 1903.

They will not be around forever, no matter how bottomless the barrel seems.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Third on the GCA.
View Quote
Marksmanship requirement is also covered by having a carry permit, and even a hunter safety card as long as the course included shooting. Might be good to know for interested members who weren't in the military.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top