Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2008 8:51:53 PM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=787641&page=1

I am student at the University of Iowa. For those of you that are not familiar with Iowa laws, to aquire a handgun, instead of a waiting period each time you buy a handgun, you apply for a permit, wait three days for approval then you are able to purchase handgun with that permit for one year. THIS IS NOT A CARRY PERMIT, JUST A PERMIT TO ACQUIRE. I applied for my permit two weeks ago and sill had not received it so i called the sheriffs office to check the status. They sheriffs office informed me that the permit would not be approved or issued untill the University's President of Student Services approved it, and that i had to have a face to face interveiw with the president and dean of student services. I do not live on campus, nor do i have any disciplinary issues with the university. I am an NRA member, Local Gun club member, University of Iowa Sportsmans club member, and i have had a handgun permit in johnson country before and was not required these steps. it seems to me the university has somehow put themselves in the postion to deny hangun permits to students for no reason and despite meeting all legal requirements and background checks johnson county requires.

WTF? Does this sounds unreasonable or even illegal to anyone else? The only tie the university has to this situation is that i am a student. I was a student when i filled for my last permit with no problem. 3 day waiting period, background check and the sheriff would sign it. Now it seems he wont sign it untill the university gives him the go ahead. I dont see how the university has any authority in this matter, especially since i do not live on campus.

I meet with the required persons early next week and intend to ask them these same questions (they would not comment on the phone, same with sheriff)

Opinions, advice, anything......This just seems wrong to me.

JServis
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh hell no. I need to reapply for mine since it ran out two weeks ago. They better not pull that BS with me. What the fuck is wrong with Johnson county?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
There is nothing on the app that has to do with school. This guy has evidently done something on campus that caused him to be flagged.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is nothing on the app that has to do with school. This guy has evidently done something on campus that caused him to be flagged.

This isn't the first time I have heard of this.
Didn't someone on this board have the same thing happen before?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the People's Republic of Johnson County.  I lived there four years before escaping.

I've had permits to acquire in six counties.  JoCO is far and away the worst to deal with.  Delays.  Multiple forms of ID.  Paperwork misfiled.  You name, they pulled it on me.  And I wasn't a student.

As far as involving UI, well, that's a new one.  First off, UI has absolutely nothing to do with the process.  The permit is shall issue provided the NICS check is clear.  At this point I can only assume somewhere in someone's data based you've been flagged, tho how and why is a complete mystery.  Unless, and this is a big leap, UI has instituted something in response to Va Tech.  But according to the law they have nothing to do with permits to acquire.  The only other possible explanation is they'
ve confused you with applying for a carry permit.  

Have the meetings.  Be polite.  But make sure you have a copy of the code with you.  

Keep us informed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
This def. sounds like a response to VA tech.

Seems a little excessive for its purpose.

Nothing like that here at ISU....yet
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it probably has more to do about that grad student that shot UofI up in the nineties instead of VA tech.  Still a messed up and illegal situation to have the school involved.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My question is how do they know he is a student? Is he living on campus and trying to get a permit. If I remember he said in he thread he wasn't. I have never lived in Johnson county but lived in Tipton and worked in West Branch for many years and hung out in Iowa City a fair amount. Linn County isn't any better.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
fwiw, Zeller processed my permit to acquire promptly in three days.  And this was back in July when they were still moving into the abbe center.  Still trying for my carry permit though. . .
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
fwiw, Zeller processed my permit to acquire promptly in three days.  And this was back in July when they were still moving into the abbe center.  Still trying for my carry permit though. . .

Carry permit is no big deal in Linn county.
You just have to jump through their hoops.
I've had mine for over a year now. I had to wait a month to renew mine while they were in the transition of transferring to the Abbe Center.
The new Sheriff elect (Mr. Gardener) has stated he would remove the $500 minimum cash carry money for the permit to be valid.
I'm hoping he follows through with that promise.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
My problem is that I don't have that $500 dollars.  When does Gardner take over?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My problem is that I don't have that $500 dollars.  When does Gardner take over?

You don't have to have the money up front. You could get your liscense without it.
You would just have to have it when you eventually got your permit and wanted to use it.
I must admit, I had to save up for it. When I did finally have the spare money, I just kept 5 $100 bills with my holster so it was always there.
I believe Mr. Gardner takes over in January.
I'm hoping he'll change the policy before my renewal comes up in June.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
So here is the conclusion of the story. He was flagged because he is on academic probation and a student at some point in the near past committed suicide because of it. So evidently the University is making certain students names available to the sheriff.

UPDATE************** POST MEETING

The meeting lasted less than 10 minutes. I did a little phishing and he told me that the university reviews ALL students who apply for hangun permits, but he did not say if all were asked to come in for a meeting. He made a point thaat he as not trying to interefere in anyway with my rights to guns. He brought bring up that i was on academic probation this semester and i belleive that was the reason for the meeting. I told him i felt that it was none of their business whether or not I purchased a handgun, having met all legal requirements. He explained that his reason is that one of his students who was struggling in school applied for and received a permit, bought a handgun, and shot himself. He then said he wished he would have had the opportunity to speak to him before that. That was also the reason for the urgency of the meeting (in case i was suicidal). I mentioned that i had a permit before and i was a student at that time too. he asked me if i was into hunting or target shooting and i breifly expolained my background. He asked me if i currently owned any guns and made a point of explaining that i had a shitload of guns, including handguns, some of which were bought in johnson county, and what types of guns. He was unphased and unconcerned about them. He reiterated his concern about the guns use for offensive purposes but that his main concern was that the student was mentally stable. He asked me if i was stable. I said yes and made a point of telling him that that was a question i had previously answered when i filled out the application at the sheriffs department. I do beleive he is just concerned about the students and that this was not a scare/stall/obstacle -tactic that i beleived it was going into this meeting. He wished me luck on the rest of the semester and said he would call the sheriff and make sure it was sent out today. he took brief notes, maybe a few lines including my address and phone number.

ALL THIS FOR FRIGGIN .22 PISTOL

but i got what i wanted and am satisfying that this is not some liberal BS trying to fuck with me owning a gun. He didnt say it but he did seem to know that i would be able to get a gun whether or not he agreed, making me think that this was just a courtesy thing that he requests from the sheriff so that he feels he did something.

sorry to those of you who were looking for cause for a firemission or even airstrike.

But i would like to thank everyone for their comments, support, and advice; the turnout definatley made me pround to be a gun owner and happy there are so may others that share and value OUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

JServis out
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Something about this situation just doesn't seem right.  I'm glad you got your permit, and that's nice that they were just trying to forestall another tragedy, but should the sheriff really be passing out info on who's applying for what to anyone who asks?  I know U of I is taken as a pretty big deal around here (I'm not originally from Iowa, so I admit to not really understanding the obsession with the Hawkeyes), but something about this just doesn't seem right.  Honestly, if next time I went to renew my CCW permit the sheriff made me go talk to the dean at my college (I am a student) I'd probably be bringing a lawyer to the meeting.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#14]
While at face value some might see this as a concerned Dean. I say wrong, it is a noisy Dean, and an overbearing Sheriff. OMG! here comes "common sense" reform on gun laws.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
i would advise all of you to consult the iowa code links tacked at the top of this forum.  meeting with your dean IS NOT a prerequisite for the permit to acquire.  this is easy to handle...  take a copy of the code into the sheriff and ask him what about the code he can't read...

if wants to make it an issue, take it to the next level...  while i don't agree with many of these laws, BOTH the citizens and the enforcement are supposed to obey the code.  if his sheriff needs a set of reading glasses, i'll be happy to spring for them.  my advice on this is to bring the code to him and remind him that his course of action is unjust and you have standing...
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
"but should the sheriff really be passing out info on who's applying for what to anyone who asks? "

I don't agree with what happened, but if you check Iowa's open records laws, guess what? These permits and applications are considered "public records".

Another case of our legislators and the "law of unintended circumstances."
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Having followed the original thread in GD, it appears that the Dean may be supplying the Sheriff with the names of students he considers "need watching" for whatever reason. That isn't saying that the Sheriff isn't in cahoots with the Dean, he probably is. Either way it a sign of what is coming if we do not act to keep our rights. Once lost it is harder to regain.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#18]
i saw the letter from the dean today ad it said it said that the sheriff had notified the dean.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
So in other words they are in it together. IF the Sheriff suspects anyone of being a student he passes the name along to the Dean. That is above and beyond the law but probably not illegal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So in other words they are in it together. IF the Sheriff suspects anyone of being a student he passes the name along to the Dean. That is above and beyond the law but probably not illegal.

isn't this a violation of privacy?  today the code says the sheriff has some discretion.  while i believe it to be bullshit, that is the way the code reads.  since when can he share your personal information with the fucking dean?  why not share it with a trucker, or a cabbie, or my personal favorite...  ...some hookers?

WTF?

this can't be correct.  the sheriff is bound to make this decision, and he's also bound to keep his yap shut...

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes it is but students, and for that matter all of us, sign away a lot of our right. W/o looking back through this thread or the original it was stated that students sign release forms pertaining to their personal info. Hell Septic we even sign away our personal info at the doctors anymore. They aren't supposed to use your name, but then I admit I haven't read the whole legal blurb, when sharing your info but I bet they keep track of the originating office.

Liberalism has been chipping away at our rights for years and unfortunately it isn't going to get any better over the next few years in light of the current political situation. Best thing you can do I guess is find a way to fly under the radar as much as possible or even better yet we have to find a way to gain back our rights.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top