Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2006 9:12:00 AM EDT
Does any know what rules apply for guns sales from a nonFFL person to sell a gun to someone?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
In state

Swap money for gun.

If you are paranoid about it, then pay some local FFL dealer to sell it for you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
For a sale of your personal firearm to another person, neither person needs a FFL or is it required that the sale go through a FFL. Current State and Federal regs do not prohibit such a sale, as long as the other party is a resident of the State of Iowa.

If I were selling a firearm to another person, I would like to have the other person show me a Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers. That would let me know that the individual does not have a criminal background and is not prohibited from having firearms. I would also copy down Drivers License Info and the Permit to Acquire number. Cover your rearend if you are selling to a person your don't know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to add to whiteing's post, that Iowa does require the person that is buying, if a handgun, to have a purchase permit. Don't know if this applies to rifles and shotguns, but I would personally feel better knowing that the buyer had a purchase permit.

I also second the suggestion of getting a DL# and purchase permit #. Never know what might come back to haunt you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the info, he is a fellow Iowan. I meet up at the range with him and he has all kinds of expensive firearms. So sounds like I'm good to go.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top