Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:06 AM EDT
Anybody here have experience with Frontier Outfitting in Urbandale (Des Moines)?

I have talked to them about doing a FFL transfer and have had several issues with them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
they are a pain in the ass, just like JLM...

well, not quite that bad, but close.  i don't wish them anything but well.  however, i would mention that the business philosophy of selling at higher than market prices, and acting as if they are doing a customer a favor by selling to them or working with them simply won't last...

sportsman's and scheels will lay the hurt down on the little guy.  i think this sucks, but regardless it is way of capitalism...  they have to decide if they are going to fight the "good fight" or do what they are currently doing...

not surprised to hear you're having issue.  maybe freud was right - we're all bad people trying hard to be good...  

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
star2323,

sorry for the rant...  you always seem to post when i'm pissed...

septic tank

how about i buy you a beer at the next arfcommer function?

s.t.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
star2323,

sorry for the rant...  you always seem to post when i'm pissed...

septic tank

how about i buy you a beer at the next arfcommer function?

s.t.

No problem.  Least I'm not the only one who has had problems with them.

I haven't made it to a local arfcommer function yet.  I need to get on that!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only been in their store once or twice but the prices turned me off from going back there again.

Yep, same here.  And JLM as well.  If they are even still around.  Last time I was in there it had the smell of a going out of business sale.  No inventory.  No customers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a buddy that works at Frontier. So I am in there every one in a while.

Nothing too fancy, or much to talk about, actually. They are better then JLM, but not as good as Jack Smith, IMHO.

Frontier is more of a yuppy hunting outfitter then a true gun store, but they are going to have a hard time trying to compete with scheels or spotsman's.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait wait... Frontier Outfitting is still open?

I thought they closed down a couple years ago. That's the joint that was on 100th street north of Hickman, right?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I thought they closed down a couple years ago. That's the joint that was on 100th street north of Hickman, right?

That's the place.  They were still there last fall.  They had a few good prices on tents, which I was looking for at the time.

Barnstormer said it well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I know a gentleman up in ames that will happily do transfers for you, 01FFL holder and he works with my dad.  I have no idea what he charges, but I'm sure it's the "going" rate and I know you won't have any issues with him like you seem to be having with these retail fronts.

PM me and i'll be happy to share some contact info...i'd rather not post it publicly cause i'm pretty sure it's just his regular home address and phone number, and i'm sure he doesn't want that posted for all to see.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know a gentleman up in ames that will happily do transfers for you, 01FFL holder and he works with my dad.  I have no idea what he charges, but I'm sure it's the "going" rate and I know you won't have any issues with him like you seem to be having with these retail fronts.

PM me and i'll be happy to share some contact info...i'd rather not post it publicly cause i'm pretty sure it's just his regular home address and phone number, and i'm sure he doesn't want that posted for all to see.

Are you talking about Dave?  I had him do several transfers for me when I was going to college in Ames.  He is great to work!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Benelli SBE II from Frontier.  They beat Scheels and Sportsmans Warehouse on price.  I also buy a few odds and ends from them.  

As far as FFL transfers go I have used the guy out at the Polk City (Butch Olofson range) out by Big Creek.  I did two PWA lowers and it was a piece of cake.  JLM gave me a crappy price for transfers.  I'll never buy anything from them again.  I bought a Rem 700, Benelli SBE, and a HK USP 45 from them.  They don't seem to appreciate repeat business.      
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the place.  They were still there last fall.  They had a few good prices on tents, which I was looking for at the time.

Barnstormer said it well.

Bit late on replying, but I drove by there the other day. Figured out why I thought they'd closed... they moved to a different building to the south. When I bought my mossberg from them, they were up in the same building that Stella's Blue Sky diner is/was in. (north of the Arby's).

I'll have to swing in there and see the new place.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top