Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 1:59:46 PM EDT
Thought all of you might be interested in this.

There has been talk by state legislatures about taking control on who can or cannot have a gun permit here in Iowa.  If this would pass, control of who would be able to get a gun permit would be up to the state and not the Sheriff.  Right now it's in the initial stages, but there is opposition to this idea already.

Like I said, thought you would like to know this.  Something to think about.

Cya Saturday

Coltgunner  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
do you know who is starting it and who is opposing it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know who started it, I just know that there is a survey that Clel Baudeler (sp?, he's a State Representative) wanted us to fill out here at work.  The ISSDA, Iowa Sheriff's and Deputies Association, is the one opposed to it, as of right now.

I also got to thinking about this.  It could be a good or bad thing, depending on were you live.  It may make it easier in some counties to get gun permits, where as in others, (in counties that right now are easier to get gun permits), it may make it harder in those counties to get the permits.

That's all I know as of today.

Cya

Coltgunner

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be really interested in hearing more about it.  Time to hit packing.org and iowacarry to see what's there.

Thanks blackta6.  The flaw in the thought process behind my original post is much more obvious this morning.  Thought about and edited post accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Now wait, think about this. If Polk Co. Sheriff is issuing according to IA code, how could it get any more difficult. IA code states no mental problems, and only allows for one misdemeanor conviction as an exception. It basically reads the same as the purchase permit as far as guidelines. The only difference is that it is left up to an elected offical to decide who, in his county, will receive a permit to carry concealed. If you eliminate the politics and put the app. process on a level playing field, such as having DPS issue through a local office, how will that take away from Counties that are receiving permits as allowed by Constitution and Bill of Rights.

If you qualified once, you should and would still qualify. Besides would you like to know that everyone receiving a CCW permit would have the same class room instructions state wide? Right now that too is left to the discretion of the individual County Sheriffs. That is the reason that some states will not recognize IA's CCW permits.

Don't take this as a rant or any other type of demeaning post, I am just trying to let people know of the flaws in current law.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm going to the iowacarry.org meeting tonight in pleasant hill.  i've never attended one, and am curious about this.  i can bring a little info to the saturday evening get together provided i can remember it all...

regardless, IMO "may issue" is b.s.  "shall issue" is the way to go.  

on a slightly different note, i'm posting a new topic on a race issue in the state as reported by the Des Moines Liberal (Register) last weekend.  i don't want to hijack this thread, so check me out over there.  i'll tie my thoughts together...

thanks again Coltgunner!

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
While I was working Reserves at the sheriffs office today I came accross a "shall issue" memo.  In it, it talked about how it's been brought up making Iowa a shall issue state, raising the issue age from 18-21 and making the qualifications more strict.  They are asking for all the Sheriffs opinions and positions on the issue..  I'm going to be emailing my sheriff and see how he feels on it.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
we'd been told this "opinion" poll was going around.  i'm curious to see how they respond...

i have high hopes they'll see this thing for what it is and do the right thing.

thanks,

septic tank

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top