Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:36:12 AM EDT
SF 207 is dead,but now according to WHO TV(this morning)Sen. Connolly is introducing a bill today to BAN ALL ASSAULT WEAPONS.Anyone know anything about this?hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hadn't heard that yet. Guess I better get looking.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Here we go:
Des Moines, March 9th, 2005 - Today an Iowa Senator will introduce legislation that would ban assault weapons in the state.

State Senator Michael Connolly says the ban would protect the public and law enforcement officers. This afternoon Connolly plans to discuss the legislation and call on the legislature to pass the bill.

Connolly says it would fill the void created by Congress when it failed to renew the federal assault weapons ban last fall.

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3051962

The Senate adjourned at 1:17 p.m. until 8:30 a.m. March 10, 2005.
Watch for it here:

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/GA/81GA/Senate/SAction/

Can't find a file number yet; must not be introduced yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Dear David,

I am opposed to SF 207.  It has been assigned to a sub-committee.  At
this time there isn't enough support for the bill to pass.  For the bill
to continue through the process it will have to be passed by a committee
in the senate by this Friday, March 11th.  

Thank you for letting me know your opinion on this issue.

Sincerely,
Dennis Cohoon

I received this a day or two ago, I don't know if this could be rearing it's ugly head or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
SF 207 (dead) was a bill to make us register and to get a permit to purchase/own/posses, "assault" weapons.This new bill would outlaw them altogether. What pisses me off is that these do-gooders know not one damn thing about guns,but they are going to"save" us from those wicked, evil," machine gun" type weapons.Bull shit!!!!!!!!!hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Was SF 207 the "trojan horse" to get something else in the back door?
Send em to IRAQ with no assault weapons!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent this letter to Sen. Connolly.
Does it sound ok?

Dear Sen. Connolly,
This proposal to ban assault weapons is absolute nonsense.
being a law abiding citizen and registering with the county sheriff every year to purchase guns, I find this so called law a joke.
You might as well bring in a law to ban hammers as well. We all know that hammers can kill someone.
What about cars? How many people die in cars every year in the state of Iowa? Better get rid of those as well.
Where do you draw the line?
This proposal is absolutely ridiculous, especially for the law abiding citizen such as myself who jumps through the hoops to enjoy an outdoor sport.
Do you really think that the average criminal really cares what law you pass?
The only people you hurt, are the people who put you in office, and the law abiding citizen.
Thank you for your time, and if you would like to discuss this matter further, I would be more than happy to make time for you.
Thank you,
Todd  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sound good to me but I'm a his
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Here we go again guys.  Time to start fighting!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody know if this made it through "funnel week"? I haven't heard anything in the last couple days.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Did not make funnel week per DSM Register.

Bill is dead for this year unless something truly extraordinary happens.

Which is highly unlikely.  To much other stuff on their plate.  I think this bill go more attention than it really merited.  News did have much to report since legislature hasn't really accomplished much.  So this filled in the  news void this year.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Good job guys.  This one is dead but I'm sure they will try again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I am putting myself on the mailing list for Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence...  They are the ones pushing for these laws.

www.ipgv.org
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am putting myself on the mailing list for Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence...  They are the ones pushing for these laws.

www.ipgv.org

I cannot beleive the garbage on that website-Thanks for the heads up!

I can't see where to sign up with them-am I missing something?

Michael
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top