Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2005 6:35:07 AM EDT
I may be spending next winter in the Dakotas.

Here in NC I see snow maybe twice a year, maybe 6" max at one time.  Sometimes we go years without any snow accumulation.

What will be the big culture shocks?

Will I have to plug in my Jeep at night?  Do they make special antifreeze for 30 below?  If my power goes out, will I freeze to death, or does no one use electric heat because of that?  Will I need pac boots and crampons?

Snow tires?  Are studs legal (or needed?)?  Chains?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on where in the Dakotas you move to..

If you'll be in the Rapid City area, the Black Hills.. you'll get some snow.. a taste of winter.. Nothing to get upset about..

If you're moving to fargo, minot, G. F. or bismark.. bring a parka.. be prepared to plug your engine block heater in.. be prepared to freeze your nads off..

But it's still not Canada and it's still not Alaska... I worked outside in Fairbanks in the winter of 83-84.. it hit 49 below one morning.. now that could kill ya...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
do they make ANTI-FREEZE for -30.  Yes friend, The regular stuff works fine just make sure your mix is correct.
You shold only need chains if you are climbing.  My father has tire chains and only uses them when he goes hunting to Montana and Colorado.  Plugging in your vehicle is a good idea when it gets cold (10 degrees or less) if you have to park it outside.  Up here we live in the cold months just like the people in AZ live in the summer months.  They run from an AC car to an AC building.  In the winter we run from a heated car to a heated building.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Electricity?????????? what is that?  I haven't had any for 4 days now.  I had to come to a friends that has a generator on his farm just so i could check my email.  Over a foot of snow on the ground now and more coming down........cold.......just how cold is cold......i can't tell, my teeth are chattering too dam much and i can't read the thermometer because of the icecycles that are hanging down from my eye lids.  How do we live in this country you ask..........one day at a time my friend and love every minute of it.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It is really not a big deal, power goes out fire up your oven or generator if you have one. If you dont have a gas range i guess you just get in the blankets and make babies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got fulltime electricity after 6 days of half hour on and half hour off (keeping fingers crossed).  No school and work was darn near impossible. Some people in rural part of County still don't have juice. Six inches of snow in last 24 hrs but I wouldn't live anywhere else on a bet.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The area I'm looking at (Grand Forks) is colder than Moscow on average.

At least it's not the real Siberia.  But close a damn nuff.

Are those USGI Mickey Mouse boots a good choice for the cold?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The area I'm looking at (Grand Forks) is colder than Moscow on average.

At least it's not the real Siberia.  But close a damn nuff.

In the 2 years I lived in ND (Wahpeton) in the late 60's I saw 30 below once...

Mickey Mouse boots is overdoing it...

600 gr Thinsulate will work just fine for the few days you will need it..

200 Gr Thinsulate will get you by if you get good Cabalas socks...

Screw ND.. Move to south Dakota.... Weather is much nicer... I think I've seen 28 below in Miller.. once...

Here's what you'll really be up against in North Dakota

3 months out of the year you'll be be in a tee shirt.. or less.. 100 degrees is not uncommon in july/august.

3 months out of the year you'll only need a long sleeve shirt..

4 months out of the year you'll probabably need a jacket..

2 months out of the year you "May" need a heavy coat or Parka..

Once you get used to winter you'll be dressing like most of the locals do in January.. A Blue Jean Jacket or a High School Letter Jacket over an insulated-hooded-zip up sweat shirt, a long sleeve shirt, blue jeans, leather boots, leather gloves, stocking cap and maybe overshoes... maybe a pair of long underwear on a bad day..

All worn in such a way as to be easily taken off... because that's a lot of clothes to be wearing while you're sitting around in a bar all day... the standard ND/SD winter pastime..

ND is part of the lower 48.. not the artic circle...

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
quite obviously you havent been to ND recently.  I live in williston and last year it got to like -60 (with wind chill of course).   Now i have lived here all of my life    but you will need more than just a parka unless you want to freeze your ass off.  we may not get as much snow as some other places but it gets damn cold.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
quite obviously you havent been to ND recently.  I live in williston and last year it got to like -60 (with wind chill of course).   Now i have lived here all of my life    but you will need more than just a parka unless you want to freeze your ass off.  we may not get as much snow as some other places but it gets damn cold.

North Dakota is the reason South Dakota Rocks!!

Wind chill is only 18 below in Aberdeen right now...  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
well with the wind chill its only -23 here right now            ONLY        
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
well with the wind chill its only -23 here right now            ONLY        

Tee shirt weather . .. 600 grain thinsulate tee shirt weather..
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I dont wat to scare you...but if the power does go out YOU WILL FREEZE TO DEATH!!!!!!

LOL

Its only cold man...and beleive me, if your cold you will wake up!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I dont wat to scare you...but if the power does go out YOU WILL FREEZE TO DEATH!!!!!!

LOL

I was watching Survivorman when he was closer to the North Pole than the Artic Circle.

Maybe I need a fully lined caribou suit
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

I was watching Survivorman when he was closer to the North Pole than the Artic Circle.

Maybe I need a fully lined caribou suit

You could always kill a Buffalo, gut it and crawl inside...   saw that in a move once.. about 50 years ago...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in Bismarck and lived in the Dakota's until I was 23.   It's a lovely place, don't let the weather put you off.

Unlike NO, the folks of ND didn't freak out when power went out.  They delt with it.  A big part of being from ND is learning how to deal with it.   You use your wood stove, stay at the neighbors, fire up the generator...  You don't need FEMA to come and hold your hand. :)  It's kind of nice that way, it's good to know there is a place your neighbors will still look out for you.   (And won't start looting either....)

I think you'll find that life isn't that much different.  You just spend 5 minutes taking off layers when you Belly up to the bar at Whiteys or Lauermans. :P  It may take another 5 for the frost to come off you glasses, but it's all good.  Eventually, you just learn to deal with it.

One thing you might want to do though is pack a few more things to leave in your car.  Go buy a cheap duffel bag and toss the following in:

- Sleeping bag
- 2 Pair of heavy weight socks (I like smartwool)
- Heavy winter coat (Surplus isn't too bad..)
- A few candy bars
- A few big candles and matches
- flashlight
- Flares
- Survival blanket / old horse blanket / whatver. :P
- And most importantly, a pair of big ass warm boots.

I spent a 12 hours in a ditch once during a massive ice storm between Fargo and GF.  I wasn't going to die with what I had on, but having those things with sure as hell made my stay a lot more comfy.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]

No.
Bullshit!!!! Get a pair if your gonna be working outside. I'm a Powerlineman and wear them everyday in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top