Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2023 5:55:39 PM EDT
I grew up in Michigan for about 19 of the first 22 years of my life.  Left when I graduated college and accepted a commission as an officer in the Marine Corps in 1999.

I know some of the laws with handgun purchase/registration have changed since I left.  What do I need to know before I move back?  

I own quite a few handguns.  Do they need to be registered?  What is the process?  What about AR "pistols" ?  

I currently have Virginia and Utah concealed carry permits and will get a Michigan permit once I become a Michigan resident again.  

Also have 3 suppressors.  Any hoops to jump through with the state there?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
As it goes for NFA weapons, suppressors are good to go. Those in the NFA Forum here will tell you that no one except the ATF can ask to see your Form1/Form4, but when Michigan legalized SBR/SBS they put in the law that law enforcement can ask for your form for proof of registration/ownership. If you don't have it they can confiscate your weapon and you have 40 days to produce your Form1/Form4. I'm not sure if that applies to suppressors, but I carry copies of my Form1/Form4 just incase.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have an out of state carry permit you're exempt from registering handguns if you also have a Michigan CPL...not quite sure how that would all give out as you need to wait to get a CPL once you move.

I have a New Hampshire permit for the above reason.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a valid carry permit in Virginia, you can immediately apply for a CPL in michigan after taking the class.  Otherwise you would have to wait 6 months.

Lots of info here, https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forum.php

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a valid carry permit in Virginia, you can immediately apply for a CPL in michigan after taking the class.  Otherwise you would have to wait 6 months.

Lots of info here, https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forum.php

View Quote
Great!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome back (almost) to MI.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]
You'd have to be a bit of a masochist to move TO Michigan at this point. All the same, we can use every RKBA brother and sister we can manage right now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'd have to be a bit of a masochist to move TO Michigan at this point. All the same, we can use every RKBA brother and sister we can manage right now.
View Quote
Agreed.  Certainly not thrilled with Michigan politics, but the wife wants to move back, and both of our families are there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on when you move you might be required to register ALL of your firearms, not just the handguns
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depending on when you move you might be required to register ALL of your firearms, not just the handguns
View Quote
Let's hope not!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or just DO NOT COMPLY, I've lived here 12 years now and my handguns are not registered. If I ever have to use them, I have MUCH bigger problems.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or just DO NOT COMPLY, I've lived here 12 years now and my handguns are not registered. If I ever have to use them, I have MUCH bigger problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could hunt and shoot on my own property, I wouldn’t worry about it. But driving to the range and hunting state land increases exposure significantly. DNR will be happy to enforce whatever laws get passed
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I predict this method will become increasingly popular.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The form is a record of transfer, I didn’t transfer shit.

OP,
Your situation sounds identical to mine. Was in WI and wife was ready to move back as kids were getting older (4, 2, and 2) at the time, and our parents are witching 15-20 minutes of each other here in Michigan. That was 2 years ago, I left without a job lined up and that worked out okay because now I’m making twice as much as I was but I liked our area in Wisconsin much better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, if you don't mind me asking, what general area are you moving to?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, if you don't mind me asking, what general area are you moving to?
View Quote
Not sure yet.

Generally speaking, we want to be somewhere between Gaylord on the southern end or Sault Ste. Marie on the northern end.  I would prefer to be in the eastern U.P., especially if things keep going the way they're going... like no further west than Manistique...  I'm currently trying to find something working from home, so I'm not tied to any location.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't come back. Not worth it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I’m about to move back to VA after being stationed here for three years. My experience with MI laws is limited, and I haven’t been paying attention to the new ones, since I’m leaving. So please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that not registering is only a $200 misdemeanor fine if someone decides to pursue that charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top