Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2023 6:47:28 AM EDT
Far-right Republican groups surge in swing state Michigan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/far-right-republican-groups-surge-in-swing-state-michigan/ar-AA17D5iN

HILLSDALE, Mich (Reuters) - Jon Smith, a local leader in rural Michigan of America First, a far-right Republican faction that denies the results of the 2020 election, wants to shift the entire party to the right - even if it means short-term losses at the ballot box. "We need to redefine what it means to be a Republican," he said in an interview...

...Far-right Republican groups are making inroads across the state, according to Reuters' interviews with two dozen party leaders, grassroots members and political experts, sidelining moderate voices, risking relationships with major donors and complicating the state party's efforts to rebuild after their worst election results since 1984...

...America First Republicans now control local party leadership in more than half of Michigan's 83 counties, a senior party official estimated, paving the way for an important victory on Saturday when an election denier is expected to be elected to state party chair...

..."To me, this is like a coup of the Republican Party," said Penny Swan, who joined the moderates after seeing the armed guards at the August meeting. "It's like the radical right is trying take over."...

View Quote

I guess I fail to see a long-term downside to this trend, if it is actually a trend.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
According to one delegate, the election of Kristina Karamo as the Michigan GOP chair, means "the end of the party".

https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/02/with-karamo-now-driving-the-michigan-gop-republicans-are-at-a-crossroads.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The job of the state party chair is to raise money, run the day to day party operations, and provide support to republican candidates after the primaries.

Karamo didn't raise much money or manage to win in her own campaign.

As much as 'conservatives' in the party denigrate the 'big donors', they're needed.  Small donors really don't amount to much.  The newer people in the party seemed to have a lot of dislike for former chair Ron Weiser, but he did donate one million dollars of his own money to the party.

As far as making the party 'more conservative' that really depends on candidates.  It's up to people locally to find, encourage, and support good candidates.  Then good luck from there as they get into the Lansing swamp.

I hope she does a good job but I don't think she will.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Until we are organized and funded like the Soro's kids, until we ballot harvest better than the leftists, until we begin infiltrating school boards and local offices like they did, it will not matter.  Time to use their playbook.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Until we are organized and funded like the Soro's kids, until we ballot harvest better than the leftists, until we begin infiltrating school boards and local offices like they did, it will not matter.  Time to use their playbook.
View Quote
I agree.  I do think we needed to clean house on leadership tho, they have really dropped the ball strategically over the last 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
MI GOP doubles down on tweet comparing gun reform to Holocaust

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Michigan Republican Party Chair Kristina Karamo held a press conference Wednesday to address a controversial tweet that draws a comparison between Democratic-led gun reform laws in the state and the Holocaust...
View Quote

[tweet]#History has shown us that the first thing a government does when it wants total control over its people is to disarm them. President Reagan once stated, “if we lose #freedom here, there is nowhere else to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth.” #2A #GOP pic.twitter.com/cGCHMN1Pxg— Michigan GOP (@MIGOP) March 22, 2023 [/tweet]

Michigan Republican Party Chair Kristina Karamo doubled down on the party’s comparison, saying the following when she stepped to the podium Wednesday evening:

“The Second Amendment exists for defensive purposes. It exists to protect citizens from aspiring tyrants, and any notion that the Michigan Republican Party drawing comparisons between historical events and the Democrats’ push to disarm the people of Michigan is somehow offensive or bigoted [is] flat-out dishonest...
View Quote

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/mi-gop-doubles-down-on-tweet-comparing-gun-reform-to-holocaust
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#7]
40% +/- of the population will always vote for Democrats. 40% +/- of the population will always vote for Republicans. Elections are won or lost based on the 20% +/- in the middle. Until we come to terms with that, we will continue to suffer more losses and razor thin margins in Congress.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Karamo was a great choice for MIGoP leadership, and of course is correct in her assertions.

The lamestream media only has the same old cards to play, and of course have zero qualms about calling opponents to the marxist libtards names.

I sure hope those in the middle graduated from Junior High and recognize the lame-ness of the libtard argument....if not, as a country we're pooched!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top