Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2018 9:49:45 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a pistol build kit to use with a virgin stripped lower in my safe.

How do you fill out the RI-60 once the lower is completed?  From what I have read you can't be the buyer and seller doing so is lying and commiting a felony.

I might just go the AZ CPL route so I don't have to register however I need to figure out how to get fingerprinted.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump as I literally just came here to start the same thread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had legal beagles from MGO say to put yourself as buyer and seller, then next week say the opposite.

I'm not with MGO because of them..
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done 5 pistol lowers in the last 3-4 years and have always filled them out as buyer and seller.  Never had one kicked back and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You have a stripped lower in your safe. When you bought it, did you buy it as a pistol? did you get a pistol permit for the receiver? If not, it was probably sold as a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a stripped lower in your safe. When you bought it, did you buy it as a pistol? did you get a pistol permit for the receiver? If not, it was probably sold as a rifle.
View Quote
Stripped recievers are transferred as others.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I put down myself as buyer and seller.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Get an Arizona CPL and do neither.  Possesion of a CPL license from a different state allows you to no longer register your pistols in Michigan.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done 3 SBR's that I have registered as pistols (Under 26"). On all of them I listed myself as the buyer and seller. No issues.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Federally it should have transferred as an "other." In Michigan a stripped receiver is not a firearm and thereby cannot be a pistol.

I can't comment on the out of state cpl but you either need to have a cpl or get a purchase permit to make a pistol in MI. MSP says to list yourself as buyer and seller on the RI60, I've done several without issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have a Michigan CPL?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you have a Michigan CPL?
View Quote
Yes I do.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Could always try and put down "BUILT FROM PARTS" as the seller field.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Your the seller, your the buyer. Put down CPL number.  Send off to PD. No problem.  PM me and i'll take a photo of one I did and send to you as an example if you want.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info everyone.

I feel better about putting myself down as both.

I did get an AZ CPL packet in the mail today which I may or may not do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
If the reciever was transferred on a 4473 prior to August 2008 (I believe that was the revision) , There wasn't an "other' only handgun, or long gun, and most dealers checked long gun.

I have a few in my safe that I bought in 2007 that were transferred to me as rifles.  Then registered as pistols to take advantage of the old 30" Michigan Pistol definition.

I've filled out the paperwork as buyer/seller a dozen times or better and never heard a word.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm on #3 as buyer / seller. I just "hear" different things from day to day from those that should know as they are mouthpieces for us common folk
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]
What if you make said virgin lower a pistol that is over 26" with a fore grip which makes it a firearm? Then being a firearm it shouldn't be registered then, right?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy this and fingerprint yourself.

Fingerprint Ink Pad
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What if you make said virgin lower a pistol that is over 26" with a fore grip which makes it a firearm? Then being a firearm it shouldn't be registered then, right?
View Quote
Right, but avoid calling it a "pistol."  There are pistols, rifles and firearms (excluding NFA for this discussion).  The thing you describe above is not a pistol because its over 26 inches.  It is not a rifle because it has no buttstock.  It is simply a firearm under Michigan law.  A firearm is not a pistol so it does not have to be registered. So a virgin AR lower with a 14 inch bbl and a SIG brace is a firearm since its OAL exceeds 26 inches.  If you put a regular buttstock on it however you would have made an unregistered and illegal SBR.  Dont do that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've done 5 pistol lowers in the last 3-4 years and have always filled them out as buyer and seller.  Never had one kicked back and never had a problem.
View Quote
Same here.

Done it with two pistols, and two pistols turned SBRs.

Whatever. If they want to talk about what's the correct way and what's the incorrect way, they obviously know where to find me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I put down myself as buyer and seller.
View Quote
yep.  I've done that about 10 times with zero issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top