Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2012 10:25:13 AM EDT
I've been thinking about this lately and want to move on it before the elections...
I'm in Oakland county.  What's the process? Where do i get the paper work?  Can I get more than one at a time?  Is there a link I can go to learn more.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
ARFCOM Supressor Forum

ATF Form Ordering

There are two routes to go. Put NFA items in your name or form a Trust and put them in the trusts name. Pros/cons either way. My NFA are all in my name.

Find a supressor you want either in state or out of state. If its out of state you will need a Class3 dealer in state to accept the transfer anyway (extra $50-100 plus shipping costs). If an in state dealer has it in stock or can get it for you, you deal with them. They should help you fill out the paper work but you can get it yourself from the ATF web site. You fill out everything in original duplicate. Fill out the Form 4, go to your local PD and ask the Cheif LEO to sign off on the back, get two sets of finger prints done on ATF print cards ( FBI FD-258LE ) while your there. You can get the cards from the ATF web site. Fill out two copies of the ceritfication of citizenship form (18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) ), also from the ATF web site. Get two passport size photos of yourself. Mail all that in to the ATF along with a check for $200 for the federal tax. Wait 6-8 months and the approved paper work will arrive at your dealer. Then you get that phone call youve be waiting for to come pick it up.

Yes you can do more than one, but all of the above needs to be done for EACH supressor as they are serial numbered.

I delt with the guys at Gun Barn II. They were very helpful. Good prices. Just waiting on the ATF now.
MGO Gun Barn Ad
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I went the trust route. No begging LEO, no fingerprints, no pictures. Expensive...yes...worth every penny. Plus when I'm gone my family can inherit my items-no so with the other route.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ARFCOM Supressor Forum

ATF Form Ordering

There are two routes to go. Put NFA items in your name or form a Trust and put them in the trusts name. Pros/cons either way. My NFA are all in my name.

Find a supressor you want either in state or out of state. If its out of state you will need a Class3 dealer in state to accept the transfer anyway (extra $50-100 plus shipping costs). If an in state dealer has it in stock or can get it for you, you deal with them. They should help you fill out the paper work but you can get it yourself from the ATF web site. You fill out everything in original duplicate. Fill out the Form 4, go to your local PD and ask the Cheif LEO to sign off on the back, get two sets of finger prints done on ATF print cards ( FBI FD-258LE ) while your there. You can get the cards from the ATF web site. Fill out two copies of the ceritfication of citizenship form (18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) ), also from the ATF web site. Get two passport size photos of yourself. Mail all that in to the ATF along with a check for $200 for the federal tax. Wait 6-8 months and the approved paper work will arrive at your dealer. Then you get that phone call youve be waiting for to come pick it up.

Yes you can do more than one, but all of the above needs to be done for EACH supressor as they are serial numbered.

I delt with the guys at Gun Barn II. They were very helpful. Good prices. Just waiting on the ATF now.
MGO Gun Barn Ad

Thank You for the info...I will reach out to Gun Barn II.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem with family inheriting individually owned NFA items. The prime advantage with a trust is the ability to give multiple persons access to the NFA item and the ability to avoid the CLEO sign off.

Jake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top