Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 7:52:40 PM EDT
What gives? Police creating, interpreting and enforcing laws?

According to Michigan State Police, it is illegal to make your rifle legal.
Rifle has to arrive in the state from the manufacturer in legal configuration, that is 26" or longer.
In case it does not, you cannot modify it to make it legal. Period.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably should not ever have it in a less-than-26" config, but if it is, probably best to make it legal and pretend it was always that way ever since it was assembled.
but no dealer should be selling rifles from the manufacturer that are less-than-legal, so that would limit to FTF sales that you would need to be worried about rifles under 26".  

but probably best to just make everything legal-length and keep it that way.

maybe a AG opinion needs to be solicited on this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The MSP stance on this is probably based on the issue that if it is in MI in a less than 26' config it is illegal and must be destroyed.  Therefore, it must come into the state in the proper config.  Jeff
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Rifle has to arrive in the state from the manufacturer in legal configuration, that is 26" or longer.

where did you obtain the words in which you speak?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
BAH!!! dbl tap!

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Plenty of underfolders have been sold in Michigan in Federal legal configuration, but in "illegal" MI configuration.

I called Lansing office and spoke with Deb Smith.
She was adamant that I or anyone cannot modify anything on the rifle to bring it legal length. They still consider it to be SBR.

Destruction seems to be the only option.
Can you believe this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My local county clerk knows nothing of any changes to the regulations, I asked.

It sounds to me, however, like someone in Lansing needs to find something else to do with their spare time.  I know that our law is poorly written--and damn near impossible to enforce.  Is the local clerk--who barely knows how to lock the slide back of some autos, going to determine what the standard is for blind pins and welding?   Are they going to have a way to test the silver solder to make sure it melts at 1100 degrees?  

According to the law as it's written, you could own a folding stocked UZI.  I believe some come with 18in barrels, so it's more than 26in long.

I would like to have an underfolder for the simple reason that when I was in Iraq that was the model most of the joes had, and if I have go back I want to become really expert at the AK.

To my memory, I remember folding stocked AK's at gunshows in this state since the 80's.  The law shouldn't change because someone is "interpreting"  what the law is.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plenty of underfolders have been sold in Michigan in Federal legal configuration, but in "illegal" MI configuration.

I called Lansing office and spoke with Deb Smith.
She was adamant that I or anyone cannot modify anything on the rifle to bring it legal length. They still consider it to be SBR.

Destruction seems to be the only option.
Can you believe this?

I'm confused....you have a rifle that was under 26" in length?  And you bought it in Michigan...or it was shipped to you when you were in Michigan?  Either way you should have modified it/or had it modified before coming into MI.

I suspect the under folders you mention measured 26.24" folded as my Saiga did when I modified it from OEM stock to side folder.  

Walked into my local PD and told them, "I've modified my rifle so it no longer measures over 30, but it does measure over 26""  They nodded, took a look and gave me my green card without issue.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as I know there is no other state that has the same asinine law as this one.  I wonder how many UF's are out there in MI and how many of them have pinned muzzle brakes?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As far as I know there is no other state that has the same asinine law as this one.  I wonder how many UF's are out there in MI and how many of them have pinned muzzle brakes?

Those can be "registered" as pistols thought....right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those can MUST  be "registered" as pistols thought....right?

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#11]
No but there are others like CA where you cant have a real AR anymore or any number of other guns or many other states where you cant have mags that hold over 10 rds.  It sucks BUT it could be a LOT worse!

Quoted:
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm confused....you have a rifle that was under 26" in length?  And you bought it in Michigan...or it was shipped to you when you were in Michigan?  Either way you should have modified it/or had it modified before coming into MI.

I suspect the under folders you mention measured 26.24" folded as my Saiga did when I modified it from OEM stock to side folder.  

Walked into my local PD and told them, "I've modified my rifle so it no longer measures over 30, but it does measure over 26""  They nodded, took a look and gave me my green card without issue.

No one in Michigan has a rifle under 26". Neither do I.
"Authorities" interpret laws and they can deem our rifles any size they wish.

I have a couple of kits to be built that I put on hold because I do not wish to permanently attach compensators.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What gives? Police creating, interpreting and enforcing laws?

***********AND***************

No one in Michigan has a rifle under 26". Neither do I.

Then why this thread?  Besides I bet there are plenty of them...bad idea and illegal, but I'm sure they are out there....

"Authorities" interpret laws and they can deem our rifles any size they wish.

I have a couple of kits to be built that I put on hold because I do not wish to permanently attach compensators.

I'm not one to usually pick at things...after all this is the inter-web!

That sounds like you had a rifle (shoulder fired weapon) that was under 26" and you wanted to make it legal - i.e.. over 26" and bbl at or over 16".  Maybe not the truth or what you meant but thats how it reads...

As for the pinned muzzle devices..what can ya do.  If it can be taken off easily (unscrewed) they have decided that it is a no-go.  Complain to the BATFE, local PD, your congressman, your mayor, your neighbor...see what it gets you.  Until Mike Cox makes an official ruling on SBR and silencers its all wish-list stuff....

No flame, but your original post was not clear.  It did appear you were trying to legalize an undersized rifle...if not, disregard what I typed.

If so, bad idea to have purchased it or brought it in the state undersized...that's all I was saying.

As for others posting about measuring the entire rifle - hand grip furthest tip to tip of muzzle a BIG +1.  Thats what I did on my side folder AK, PS90 and will do on my upcoming BM M17S I'm working on...should scome in at 26.25" OAL and still with a 17" bbl.  Better ballistics and smaller than a SBR AR and no legal issues.

Cheers,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top