Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 7:46:02 AM EDT
I don't have any carry permits and such. What is the proper method to carry guns back and forth from the range. For now I have my ammo boxes in the floor of the front seat and my guns in their bags (zippers not locked) in the trunk.

If I wanted to always carry a shotty in the car would I put one in a bag in the trunk and a box of ammo in the glove box???
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Without a carry permit, it's not legal in Michigan to carry a gun in your vehicle unless you are on your way to or from a range or legal hunting area, purchasing it, transporting it for repair, ect.
With a permit, you may carry a pistol, but not a long gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
<snip>

If I wanted to always carry a shotty in the car ...

Having a long arm as a "trunk gun" is not legal in Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to TX (or any other free state) where you can ride around with your loaded M4 and Beta C mag in the seat next to you. Or LA where your vehicle is an extension of your house and a handgun is no problem. Was Michigan excluded when it came to God give rights or the Constitution?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Michigan gun laws were created by elitist, racist, bigots and the morons that we elect do not have the brains or balls to correct their predecessors errors.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody know the particular law that prohibits an unlicensed person from carrying a gun in their vehicle? Also, this guy I know who is doing that also insists it's legal to carry the "bullets" in the same box as the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OK going back to my original question.  Apparently I can't keep a long gun in the car for prolonged periods.  Is there a procedure for transporting guns to and from the range?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have targets and/or a current hunting licence your always going to or coming from shooting your rifle.
Of course living in the country has it perks

www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31579--,00.html

how old is this?
www.gunmuse.com/News/Michigan%20Firearms%20Bill
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
House Bill 5408 (2005)
Source
Public Act 433 of 2006 (Effective: 10/5/2006)

Natural resources; hunting; transporting firearms and bows and arrows; eliminate, under certain circumstances, requirement for hunting license. Amends secs. 43510, 43511, 43513 & 43516 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.43510 et seq.).
Last Action: 11/09/2006 - assigned PA 433'06 with immediate effect

Senate Floor Analysis, House Bill 5408:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CONTENT
The bill would amend Part 435 (Hunting and Fishing Licensing) of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to allow a person to carry, transport, or possess a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license under conditions that currently apply only to a person who is at or going to or from a shooting or archery range.
The Act allows a person to carry, transport, or possess a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license while at or going to and from a recognized rifle or target range, trap, or skeet-shooting ground, or archery range if, while being transported, the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle; or the bow or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in the trunk.

The bill would delete the reference to being at or going to or from a recognized rifle or target range, trap, or skeet-shooting ground, or archery range. The bill also would refer to a location that was not readily accessible to any occupant of a vehicle, rather than the trunk.       .....

{Complete text }

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Language

This has all been trotted out multiple times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top