Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 5:26:39 AM EDT
Is it me or are they getting smaller and smaller?  Went there yesterday and there was nothing, just a few overpriced AR's, mostly AK items.  Walked out with two boxes of .22 Longs for the old Winchester.  Very disappointing and I won't be back.  I am not going to waste anymore money there.  Isn't there another one in Taylor?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The last one I went to in Taylor was just about as bad.  Nothing worth looking at, all junk SKS rifles and beef jerkey.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It used to be a nice show there when I was a kid.  Not anymore.  I overheard a seller saying that if he didn't see any business by noon he was packing up and leaving.  He also said he wasn't coming back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
long gone are the pre Y2K days of the gibraltor trade shows. Very sad, so many good memories of going there with my father. I went to the Mt Clemens one last, I picked up some moderately priced federal. I save because of shipping but otherwise nothing there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I went there this saturday and I was dissapointed too. 2 bux to park and 5 bux to get in had me already kinda bummed. Then walking thru there was almost depressing.

Ended up getting my son his first pocket knife, so I guess it wasn't all bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you go on Friday it's free.

I hate to see the shows getting bashed. It only leads to less attendance which in turn leads to fewer vendors.
Soon there won't be any shows left to bitch about.

I have set up at the Gibralter Taylor show three times and lost money every show. I still do the Mt Clemens show. It has more vendors and better attendance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you go on Friday it's free.

I hate to see the shows getting bashed. It only leads to less attendance which in turn leads to fewer vendors.
Soon there won't be any shows left to bitch about.

I have set up at the Gibralter Taylor show three times and lost money every show. I still do the Mt Clemens show. It has more vendors and better attendance.

you going to be at then next Mt Clemens show?  you a store or? what all you sell?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I will be at the next Mt Clemens show.
I have a shop in Marine City.
Powder, primers, reloading stuff, new and used guns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't been to the Taylor show in years,  but Mt. Clemens is usually decent for some ammo and cleaning supplies.    Last time I was there Outdoor Marksman Co  was set up there selling ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
  Just my opinion but I think the internet has killed gunshows. Internet stuff is cheaper,  even with shipping and you don't have to put up with the nonsense.

I do miss the good old days of gun shows.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The internet doesn't allow you to see it, touch it, smell it or see how it works. It will never completely replace a gun show.
Michigan shows could rival the country. What is needed is greater attendance which will bring more vendors which will make everyone more competitive.
I place much of the blame on the promoters.

By the way, the Mt Clemens Gibralter Show is Nov 10, 11 and 12.
Admission if free on Friday and there is a coupon in your local "shopper" newspaper that will get you free parking on Friday.

See you there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I will be there lefty.  I have never been to the Mt. Clem show yet so look forward to it.  I remember a vendor this past weekend.  My brother in law saw a part he wanted for he AK, the guy didn't know how much to ask for.  He did this on 2 other parts.  Not like being there and not prepared.  Is this common lefty?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Common? Not really, although sometimes a guy will end up with some stuff that is outside of his knowledge base, but it would be wise to do some homework.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah there getting smaller and smaller ,i dont waist my time their anymore.I go to my buddies place FIREARMS EXCHANGE on wayne road...check it out!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yeah there getting smaller and smaller ,i dont waist my time their anymore.I go to my buddies place FIREARMS EXCHANGE on wayne road...check it out!!!!

I stopped by their booth this past saturday.  Nice people but a bit much on price.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
gun shows are always high, better off to buy on the net!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to disagree.  You can find alot of deals and even haggle the price if need be at the shows.  There are alot of deals you can swing via email with on line shops too so I guess it would be a split.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that everybody here can attest to the saving od the internet. BUT, sometimes you just have to see it in your hands or hold it even with something small such as a sight, ammo or part..

The internet will not replace the gun shows. But with the internet here, now, gun shows have compitition that at one point they didnt have. They were per say the ONLY GIG in town. If you wanted a Mil type item or certain parts it was gun shows or nada, so people LOOKED for them and cept track of them.

As lefty has said it is NOW the burdon of the promoters to get the people back in. When dealer numbers are on the fall there is less compitision there for higher prices. Not saying that you cant get good deals there but if you have only one guy selling ammo for example the prices are gona be higher then if there is 10 guys fighting for you buisness. But once the promoters do there job we need to do ours and so up  and try and keep our local money LOCAL..

OK, thats enough of my rambling and buisness crap for the day. off to to the pit!

Zar
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I love going to the gun show.  I agree its nice to actually see the product before you buy it.  Some guys are overpriced but then you finds good deals too, its all part of the fun.  Being new to the area, what shows do you guys rate best?  I have to a couple at Birch Run, I live right up the street.  I was going to go to the Detroit show but it was cancelled.  Are they going to hold any more there?  I miss the huge shows that happen down at Richmond and Raleigh.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be at the Mason/Lansing show this weekend, prolly friday nite and Sunday. I do pretty well at shows, however you have to be prepared to really look hard and haggle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
  Just my opinion but I think the internet has killed gunshows. Internet stuff is cheaper,  even with shipping and you don't have to put up with the nonsense.

I do miss the good old days of gun shows.

I do miss the good old days when the Gilbraltar shows first got started.  How about the Bill Goodman shows at places like the Detroit Armory and Dearborn?

There are some places that still have awesome gun shows.  When I have time I try to make it to the shows in Louisville and Indianapolis.  Both of these shows are huge and plenty of good deals can still be found.  They also have eliminated most of the "craft show" vendors.

I went down to the show put on by Bill Goodman in Toledo the other weekend.  It was at least as good as the Mason/Lansing show.  Give him a few months to get the vendors back and I think this one will get even better.  I hope Goodman gets the Toledo show up and running and keeps coming north.  Maybe he'll give Doug Carl and Gibraltar a run for their money and we'll benefit from some better shows.

John

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Prices may be better but no opportunity for the IGG factor.  IGG stands for the Instant Gratification Genie.  This is a concept that was taught to me by a former friend(known here on the forum as "Postban") and he was dead nuts right.  I'll pay a little more for the opportunity to pick it up, play with it and then actually take it home with me right then and there.  

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy that occasional impulse buy.

John
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Goodman left town because the dealers got tired of his nazi like policies and stopped buying tables. Those dealers who remember probably won't run back to his shows as long as there is an alternative.

He'll aslo have a problem finding a workable venue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you stop at Firearm Exchanage's tables?  They always have something new and cool and they will deal some on big ticket stuff.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Prices may be better but no opportunity for the IGG factor.  IGG stands for the Instant Gratification Genie.  This is a concept that was taught to me by a former friend(known here on the forum as "Postban") and he was dead nuts right.  I'll pay a little more for the opportunity to pick it up, play with it and then actually take it home with me right then and there.  

John

I'm a terrible impulse buyer, I have a Cobray 9mm with a fake can as a result.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

I'm a terrible impulse buyer, I have a Cobray 9mm with a fake can as a result.

I've made some bad moves like that too, so I usually try not to bring several hundred dollars in cash when I do go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#26]
haha yes I have walked in with $800 and come out with more ammunition than is expended in the entire length of the film Red Dawn. Firearm exchange does come with some pretty darn neat items, last time I saw a guy get to play with a class 3, SBR mp5 with eotech and surefire m900 light. wow..... My only complaint is their prices. little rich for my blood but they do have good products
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Once I get a real job I'll be checking that place out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Goodman left town because the dealers got tired of his nazi like policies and stopped buying tables. Those dealers who remember probably won't run back to his shows as long as there is an alternative.

He'll aslo have a problem finding a workable venue.

As far as I know, Bill Sr. has retired and his son is now running things.  Don't kid yourself, dealers will flock to anyone who can pomote a show and bring in buyers with cash.  

If the "Nazi like policies" you are refering to are those things listed below from his reservation form, then I wish Doug Carl would become a little more like Goodman and limit his crappy flea market vendors.

Display items must be Gun & Knife show related (Gun, knife, military, hunting & fishing). Unrelated items are subject to removal unless prior consent is granted by promoter.  

Parts to convert semi-to-auto are not permitted.

Adult content material, racial or sexist items are not allowed.

Foodstuff items are not permitted unless prior written approval from promoter.  Vendors who wish to add Jerky for sale or sample at their display must pay an additional "Jerky Fee" (Call promoter for details)

Show promoter reserves the right to ban or prohibit any item from displays he deems unrelated or undesirable for show.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top