Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 7:32:24 PM EDT
Silver Bullet turned away a shooter today because they said that no matter what, state law will not allow a legal adult, under 21, to shoot handguns without the parent present.  Even if the shooter owns their handguns.
Said they would have their licenses taken away and they would be shut down (find this hard to believe)
They said something about some sort of state/federal law conflict, seems odd to me because I was a member, and shot all by myself at a conservation club before when I was 19 and no one hassled me.
Anyone know if this is actually a law, or just a overprotective range management rule?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They cannot legally buy the ammo for the pistol unless their 21 years of age.  If you bring your own it turns into a possession issue of ambiguous nature .
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They cannot legally buy the ammo for the pistol unless their 21 years of age.  If you bring your own it turns into a possession issue of ambiguous nature .

You can buy the ammo, but it would have to be for a rifle..........
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Exactly
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#4]
This is good to know b/c I am a leagal owner of a pistol and I am 18. I was actually thinking about going to Silver Bullet to shoot a while some day when i got bored at college. Does this this rule count .22 LR pistols like the one i have even thought i can buy ammo for it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is good to know b/c I am a leagal owner of a pistol and I am 18. I was actually thinking about going to Silver Bullet to shoot a while some day when i got bored at college. Does this this rule count .22 LR pistols like the one i have even thought i can buy ammo for it?

good thing you noticed this thread.  you may NOT shoot there unless your parent or legal guardian is present.  Not even .22LR.  If it is a handgun, its restricted.  Join an outdoor club, and shoot to your heart's content.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
They're full of shit.  It's that simple.

Beyond that... the law states that a FFL can not sell a pistol or ammo believed to be used in a pistol to a person under 21 years of age.  A private sale of handgun ammo can be done, as there's no law against private sales of handgun ammo to people under 21 years of age.  Michigan law also allows private (non FFL) sales of handguns to people under 21 years of age.

How'd I do it?
I'm 20.  I bought a pistol from a dude FTF, and I bought another one from my dad.  Then, he ordered the ammo for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
No, they’re not full of shit.  We understand you may legally purchase from a private seller, and there are other means of getting ammo.

The problem here is with the business not allowing persons otherwise in compliance with the law from shooting on their range.  They have the right to deny you if they choose just because they can.

They follow the rule that one must be 21 years of age to rent on the range, or anyone under 21 years of age be accompanied by someone that is of age.

They have to cover their liability and if you have an issue with that seek to address this loophole through legal means.  Otherwise, go shoot in the state park, or on private land.

The caveat is that when I was younger, and shot at one local range, I befriended the owner, and made it clear that I would always bring all my ammo with me.  He chose to allow me to shoot because I was able to convince him of my upstanding credentials.  He asked only once to watch and after that I was allowed to shoot which I did at least once every other week.  

If the owner doesn’t see the issue with the laws in this circumstance then there no friend of the shooting sports and I’d take my business to another area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No, they’re not full of shit. We understand you may legally purchase from a private seller, and there are other means of getting ammo.

The problem here is with the business not allowing persons otherwise in compliance with the law from shooting on their range.  They have the right to deny you if they choose just because they can.

They follow the rule that one must be 21 years of age to rent on the range, or anyone under 21 years of age be accompanied by someone that is of age.

They have to cover their liability and if you have an issue with that seek to address this loophole through legal means.  Otherwise, go shoot in the state park, or on private land.

The caveat is that when I was younger, and shot at one local range, I befriended the owner, and made it clear that I would always bring all my ammo with me.  He chose to allow me to shoot because I was able to convince him of my upstanding credentials.  He asked only once to watch and after that I was allowed to shoot which I did at least once every other week.  

If the owner doesn’t see the issue with the laws in this circumstance then there no friend of the shooting sports and I’d take my business to another area.

Yes, they ARE full of shit.

Ferner stated the range staff told him: "no matter what, state law will not allow a legal adult, under 21, to shoot handguns without the parent present. Even if the shooter owns their handguns."

If that was what they said... they are most definitely full of shit.  While the range might be bound to that rule by their insurance company, there is no law that requires parental supervision of an adult shooter under 21 years old.  At the very least they are uninformed... but I'm willing to assume they're full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Mitchell-

Reread my post and find the correct meaning since this is the second time you've taken one point and gone in a different direction - it's not about parental supervision as that's b.s., and everyone already understands that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
It is kind off the point but this is how stupid and out of whack these laws are:

Our local Sheriff Department has on accessions  has hired sheriff  deputies at age 20, They give them a gun and a badge.  Send them through the police training.

But the guys can not go to a store and buy shells for the gun.  Shows you how well our government works.
Makes you feel very safe and comfortable
SM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top