Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT
I saw a commercial for Dick Devos for governor last night, so I looked his website up...

I know that anyone is better than our Canadian Governess, but this guy looks like the real deal!

What say you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Real deal? Maybe.
Where is his track record on firearms? I can't find one.
It's easy to make a slick websight.
I'm not saying he isn't the right candidate, I just want proof.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That's why I'm trying to get info on the guy. All I can say is his stance on certain things that are important to me are "right" - Pro-Life, "Marriage" defined as a man and a woman, and he has a sentence (yeah it's only a sentence but he felt it was important enough to put it there) on his support of the 2nd Amendment.

Just wanted to see if anyone knew any more about him than what little I know.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Some previous disscussion.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=224643

Whoops, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem. I am not a member of the DUPE patrol. Just remembered seeing it some time back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I was talking with a guy from Caledonia and knows DeVos personally. He said he was a knucklehead and not the brightest candle in the room. I'd like to think he was wrong, but he's the one what knows DeVos personally. And said he wouldn't vote for him because DeVos does have any political or governmental process experience. He said the only reason people will have any reason to vote for him, is because he is the son of the co-foudner of Amway.

So I don't know Rick DeVos's record on the 2nd Amendment, and don't have a clue if Rick could be effective in our political process, nor do I know if he is even smart enough to bring jobs into the state or how to actually handle the budget without wrecking the state any worse than it is.

But this I do know. I don't want to vote for Granholm. Granholm is a self serving person, who will say anything to anybody to get her way or to get elected. I still see jobs leaving this state in droves. I don't see a lot of new investment where I do see it in other states. She hasn't gone after our 2nd Amendment Rights, however in a second term, I'd bet she will. And I don't like having a women run things, I just believe they rely too much on emotion, rather than common sense. But hey, Engler screwed us worse than anyone in his second term and look where he is...the head of the manufacturing association. The person who saw more manufacturing taken out of our state becomes the president of the manufactures association.

No matter what, I don't see a good answer to any of this. Politicians are usually corrupt and if they don't start out that way, they certainly become that way in time.

As it stands right now, because of what Mike Cox has done, I'd much rather vote for him for Governor. At least he as the balls to move towards the Constitution, not away from it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
From DeVos' website:

Dick DeVos is pro-Life.
Dick is the only pro-Life candidate for Governor. He supports efforts to protect and promote a culture of life, from conception to natural death. Dick is the only candidate for Governor who supports a ban on the late term procedure known as "partial-birth abortion."

Dick DeVos believes that marriage is defined as between one man and one woman and will stand up to any future attempts to redefine marriage in the state of Michigan.

Dick DeVos will protect your second amendment rights. He is the only candidate for Governor that will stand up for all law-abiding Michigan gun owners.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From DeVos' website:

Dick DeVos is pro-Life.
Dick is the only pro-Life candidate for Governor. He supports efforts to protect and promote a culture of life, from conception to natural death. Dick is the only candidate for Governor who supports a ban on the late term procedure known as "partial-birth abortion."

Dick DeVos believes that marriage is defined as between one man and one woman and will stand up to any future attempts to redefine marriage in the state of Michigan.

Dick DeVos will protect your second amendment rights. He is the only candidate for Governor that will stand up for all law-abiding Michigan gun owners.

I hope that's not just hype to get elected. Honestly, I don't trust any of them, because politicians have earned that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
You and me both...

As much as it pains me, we have actually gained rights during our Canadian Governess' tenure despite her being a liberal... I do not wish to take any steps backward.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I shall see what I can do to have him take the pledge!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You and me both...

As much as it pains me, we have actually gained rights during our Canadian Governess' tenure despite her being a liberal... I do not wish to take any steps backward.

I have to ask. What Rights? If you mean the full auto thing, that was done by Mike Cox. Not by the grand queen.

And I sure don't want to take any steps backwards either. But I have a feeling we'll be seeing gun control on a National level before long, if we don't see it on a state level.

And Bustoff, if I ever see you. Let my buy you lunch or at least a

You certainly deserve it. I might finally be able to purchase a can. I can't WAIT!!!

And I see a SAW in my future too!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Granholm has signed EVERY piece of pro gun legislation that has crossed her desk.
If you aren't aware of the many changes in Michigan law regarding firearms in the last 3 years, you need to get involved in some gun rights political activism.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Granholm has signed EVERY piece of pro gun legislation that has crossed her desk.
If you aren't aware of the many changes in Michigan law regarding firearms in the last 3 years, you need to get involved in some gun rights political activism.

That's what I'm saying. BELIEVE ME I am not defending Granholm... She's never had one original idea and the state is sliding into crap and she has nobody to blame but herself and her idiotic, toothless "administration"... but she would at LEAST show up in the papers or on TV if she were so opposed to the 2/A stuff.

If DeVos winds up being an anti - I think I'd vote for Granholm... And then give myself a Silkwood type shower.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Bottom line we are going to have to mold and shape Devos's gun rights position. It's my belief that right now we have Michigan politicians falling all over each other in order to be pro gun. This comes from gunners being active, voting and participating. When we as a block vote a certain way - we are recognized as having the power.

Does anybody really think Granholm would sign legislation that recognized the NFA, repealed all Michigan NFA regulating statutes and allowed Michigan private persons to possess anything NFA as long as it was legal under fed law unhindered by Michigan law?

I don't think so. Do I think Devos would? I don't know but I aim to ask him when I see him, privately that is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Excellent post Bustoff. I'd love to hear what he tells you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I was talking with a guy from Caledonia and knows DeVos personally. He said he was a knucklehead and not the brightest candle in the room.

They say that about Bush too. Remember, you only have to be smart enough to put the real smart people in control of the different departments.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm a little skeptical of any endorsement of the Governess. She fought with every fiber of her being against passage of our CCW law. Has she had some epiphany we're not aware of that the 'gun nuts' are now righteous in everything they want?

The real truth, I suspect, is that she knows we're a force much more powerful in the voting booth than the Million Moms--even though she's a card carrying member. When she doesn't need our votes anymore will she still be willing to give up her true leftist tendencies?

If Devos articulates he wants to be conservative in government and friendly to business he'll most likely get my vote.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I never said she was our friend. She has, however, been cooperative.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a little skeptical of any endorsement of the Governess. She fought with every fiber of her being against passage of our CCW law. Has she had some epiphany we're not aware of that the 'gun nuts' are now righteous in everything they want?

The real truth, I suspect, is that she knows we're a force much more powerful in the voting booth than the Million Moms--even though she's a card carrying member. When she doesn't need our votes anymore will she still be willing to give up her true leftist tendencies?

If Devos articulates he wants to be conservative in government and friendly to business he'll most likely get my vote.

First, like I said, I won't vote for Granholm. But what anti-gun legislation has she signed? I am not aware of any that have come up to her in her term.

I know she signed the new CCW bill that helped us. So what did she kill us on?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
First, like I said, I won't vote for Granholm. But what anti-gun legislation has she signed? I am not aware of any that have come up to her in her term.

Nothing "anti-gun" has reached her desk AFAIK. But her record as Attorney General regarding the original concealed weapons law is well documented.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing "anti-gun" has reached her desk AFAIK. But her record as Attorney General regarding the original concealed weapons law is well documented.

I don't disagree with you, but it was over a year ago that she said plainly in a radio interview that she was entirely wrong on the CCW issue.  She knows she is wrong, she knows gun owners can be a powerful group.  She did sign the dove hunting bill and a bill that allowed concealed carry in state parks, but if some antigun legislation reached her desk, she would probably sign that also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top