Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
Well.  I thought I was only comeing up for the summer, but it looks like I'm going to stay in Michigan for a long time.  Well.  I came up two weeks ago and loved the State.  I pretty much stayed in Westland.  Looks like Florida to me, just colder, no palm trees, and wierd left turns.   Since I'll probably became a citizen of Michigan what do ya'll think about this. Right now I have three handguns.  When I move to Michigan I'm suposed to register them.  Should I just leave them in the South and buy new ones to register?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Buddy, if you stayed in Westalnd and fell in love with the state I would hate to see where it is you're coming from.  

Southeast Michigan is the armpit of the state.  I know.  I'm living the dream in NW Oakland County.  But different strokes and all that....

Bring your guns, get the (safety instpection) green cards.  When I moved here I left three revolvers in the care and custody of a trusted friend.  He still has them...14 years later.  Just one of those things...

What is your profession?  You've got a better chance of finding work in Alaska than you do in Michigan.   Housing seems to be at a standstill.  Lots of inventory, homes spending a long time on market.   There have been several large name home builders pick up and leave operations in the state, going so far as to fill in already dug basements of unsold lots.  Florida, Arizona, Nevada...they are booming.  The exodus has begun.  

Luckily I am a salesman whose business is nationally based.  Not relying on the local manufacturing economy, I've been blessed with a time of prosperity.  At the same time I have four acquaintences, all in the trades, out of work with poor prospects.  

Don't take all this the wrong way...I like it here too.  There is A LOT to do if you like being outside and can take the winters.   But I hate south east Michigan, for all the reasons that make it just like any other poorly planned enternally spreading metro-sodom- suburban-gamorah hell hole that seems to be taking root every fucking where you turn.  

The people here are different.  I've lived in three continents, five countries, and seven states.  I say again...the people here are different.  And not in a good way.  Through formal training and formative life experience I'm a pretty good read on people.  I can recognize and adapt to different cultures and mores & local customs,  so as to avoid any embarassing instances of unintentionally insulting anybody.  I'm sensitive to the 'energy' that others around me are putting out.  It wears a guy out...too much selfishness, disrespect, abject ingorance, and otherwise 'negative energy' from the general population in this region.    

You can still find good people here.  But you gotta look.  And in private they will probably tell you that they think this place is going to hell in a handbasket.

Good luck in the move.  Bring your rain gear.

SM3

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You can still find good people here. But you gotta look.
Yeah, and we live in S.E. Mich.

C.M.

Do I smell another Oakland County Elitist????
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Please keep them down there, we have enough of our own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
IM me if you need to find a home, it's what I do.

Sorry you have to stay in Westland Kidding I live just north of Wasteland I mean Westland in Livonia.

Bring the guns up, save you money and just register them. .gov already knows you have them.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife was raised in Grosse Pointe and had to move to the downriver area, I hear it almost everyday........

C.M.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife was raised in Grosse Pointe and had to move to the downriver area, I hear it almost everyday........

C.M.

I bet....lol.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
corporate monster - Oakland County Elitist?  Hardly.  

Another instance where the public school system has failed to teach adequate reading comprehension skills, most likely.

I pretty much damned the whole SE corner of the state...but I guess your response falls into the abject ignorance / quick to fight type of negative energy that I spoke of in my first post.  

Let me make it crystal clear...From Lansing draw one line east, and another south until you hit water and Ohio respectively.  Any and all counties contained therein, including Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, Monroe, et al, are hereby collectively understood as the armpit of the state.  

So...we agree that you can find good people here, and that 'here' is south east Michigan.  What's your beef with me cowboy?

I hypothesize that you have experienced prejudice based upon a perception of socio economic status associated with your mailing address.  This is in conrtradiction with your id and perception of self...corporate monster.  Ergo, you project onto others...i.e. the ears stop working, the mind hears what it wants, and has already decided to lash out at the first target that even remotely engages anything close to this, one of your sensitive issues.  

If so, get over it...the nickname for my township ends in -tucky.

And collectively, I think we both live in an armpit.  

I'm done.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Man.  Well.  The main thing I will have to get use to is the cold.  I love the South and its heat.  It got to 87 yesterday.  The ice is another thing.  I was up there two weeks ago and I drove all the way back to Alabama.  I went throught snow and every thing, but when I reached Alabama I hit dern ice and totaled my truck.  
Well.  We'll see about the guns.  Two of them the gov doesn't know I have.  They would have to go through many people to figure out that I have them.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
corporate monster - Oakland County Elitist?  Hardly.  

Another instance where the public school system has failed to teach adequate reading comprehension skills, most likely.

That or I missed that semester. I hated skool, most of what they taught was regurgitation of info. Waste my of time and taxpayers money.
I wanted to learn how to deal with people and learn a skill, not be a ass kisser or yes man in a corporate world. How to evaluate a situation and deal with it. When you interact with a person you read the clues of their real intent. I learned that in the streets, not school. I found out that I was a visual learner, funny the educators never figured that out, I might have been a better student, maybe not.

That's why I hate email and postings like this, I could not read the intent.

I pretty much damned the whole SE corner of the state...but I guess your response falls into the abject ignorance / quick to fight type of negative energy that I spoke of in my first post.  

Let me make it crystal clear...From Lansing draw one line east, and another south until you hit water and Ohio respectively.  Any and all counties contained therein, including Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, Monroe, et al, are hereby collectively understood as the armpit of the state.  

So...we agree that you can find good people here, and that 'here' is south east Michigan.  What's your beef with me cowboy?

I disagree, I don't think this area or state is an armpit at all. I have spent time in central and northern Michigan. I found some great people and a great deal of nepotism and negativity. More than in this area, I still wouldn't call it an armpit either. Things are tough, the economy sucks but the right leadership will change that. Just my opinion. Yes I'm quick to defend were I live, because I live here. I took your condemnation as negative.

I hypothesize that you have experienced prejudice based upon a perception of socio economic status associated with your mailing address.  This is in conrtradiction with your id and perception of self...corporate monster.  Ergo, you project onto others...i.e. the ears stop working, the mind hears what it wants, and has already decided to lash out at the first target that even remotely engages anything close to this, one of your sensitive issues.  

It seems by your reaction I opened a prevoiusly closed wound. Attacked my lack of edukayshun and my socio economic status. Wow! I almost had enough pop bottles to buy another lottery ticket and a 40 ouncer........

Yes, I heard it my whole life from Qakland County Elitists and others, How superior Oakland county is to everywhere else, why would I live here, blah blah blah..  I have heard it from relatives, friends, fiends and wannabees. I visit their homes and it's just like being in a million other places in Michigan, same houses, yards and neighborhoods. WTF???

So yes, I have experienced prejudice, I just don't understand it. I don't  understand prejudice as a whole. In my early years I worked with what people labeled "The lowest class of people." Strange how many of them were funny, intelligent and very moral people, I learned alot from those men and have alot of respect for them. I wouldn't be where I'm at today without some of them pushing me to do more with my life. If that makes me sensitive so be it.

I also hear the Grosse Point thing from my wife as I stated in the other post.(I still shudder when  think of that area. House, driveway, house, driveway on and on.) My average size garage was very close in size to the backyard. Not trashing the place, I need space...

Oh, Contradiction with the id and perception of self, you have misunderstood. The Corporate Monster tag is not that I see myself as some  corporate T Rex ruling a corporation with an iron fist, quite the contrary. Have you ever seen the original Frankenstein movie? The monster wanders around and interacts with the townspeople so he will be percieved as one of them? Then his true self emerges and it quite apparent he is not one of them. Been there done that. I am a corporate monster, the monster who does not fit in the corporate world.

I used to have a boss who claimed, "Perceptions are everything." I told him he was mistaken, actions are everything. He then informed me how wrong I was.  Not long after I was transferred (with his supreme blessing of course) then promoted, he on the other hand was terminated.  I still don't trust a perception or a boss I have no need for either.

Had this coversation started face to face, I'm sure it would have taken a different path and tone. We still may have disagreed but we would have read each other differently.  

If so, get over it...the nickname for my township ends in -tucky.

That's sad, you can change that, we did.

And collectively, I think we both live in an armpit.  

I still disagree, so we'll agree to disagree.....

C.M.

P.S. I won't tell  Panch you swiped his call sign...

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I might be moving up there too, the Kalamazoo area.  What do I need to know?  Gun laws.  I see you need to register them?  Concealed carry, yes or no?  Assault type weapons?  Kalamazoo specifics.  Is the house market really slow?  Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Go see Joel at Southide shooting Range, he's the person to see in that neck of the woods if you plan on moving to that area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Go see Joel at Southide shooting Range, he's the person to see in that neck of the woods if you plan on moving to that area.

Do you have a phone number?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I might be moving up there too, the Kalamazoo area.  What do I need to know?  Gun laws.  I see you need to register them?

Handguns are "Safety Inspected" and a "Safety Inspection card" is issued (Yes they are registered).  Long guns are not "Inspected" and don't require a card.

Concealed carry, yes or no?

Yes, the state is Shall issue

Assault type weapons?

Yep, those are good as long as they are over 30" with any folding stock or collapsible stock in its shortest position.  Otherwise they have to be "Safety Inspected" as a handgun.  Standard Cap mags are cool also.

Kalamazoo specifics.  Is the house market really slow?  Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, can't help on this, I live by the cess pool known as Flint
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.... how did ya come up with Wasteland!  The shop I work for is in Wasteland.  But I live about an hour north of there (ThankGod).  That and I work on industrial/commercial HVAC equipment so I'm an over the road mechanic anyway.  Only have to see Wasteland about once a week.  And thats enough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IM me if you need to find a home, it's what I do.

Sorry you have to stay in Westland Kidding I live just north of Wasteland I mean Westland in Livonia.

Bring the guns up, save you money and just register them. .gov already knows you have them.

o reallllly,,,finding homes huh, so what can ya do for me on a va loan that i can repay at under 1000 a month?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top