Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:49:35 AM EDT
I was a Texas resident and purchased 2 m16's and 1 .223 suppressor while I lived there. In August 2004, I moved back to my home state of MI and sold my two M16's and put my suppressor in a safe deposit box in Texas.

The suppressor has been in the box this whole time. I finally hear about the AG's new opinion and am really excited about getting my suppressor back. I now hear that it is not clear if suppressors are legal in MI. A form 5320 is not required to transport a suppressor to a NFA state. So, if I brought my suppressor to MI from TX right now, what kind of risk do I have? I do not have to wait for paper work since there are no form 4's or 5320's to fill out for this. It's just a matter if MI allows suppressors.

Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I would wait until everything gets varified. Right now ATF wants to play the BOSS and give us a hard time as to wether this whole deal is legal in their opinion.

Factually the new AG opinion superseded the old one which banned persons from owning machine guns and silencers. This superseding action has the effect of lifting the state ban on mg's and silencers.

BATFE is just not wanting to come to Jesus easily and admit that we are right, the law is on our side and that they must transfer mgs and cans as their is no violation of state or local law.

So theoretically you would not be in violation of state law but to play it safe just wait til BATFE decides the law means what the law says!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
this is rediculous. why can't the law ever be clear and concise? i wish i would have known this was in the works about a year ago. i wouldn't have sold the m16's. oh well. they haven;t gone up that much in price since then.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would wait until everything gets varified. Right now ATF wants to play the BOSS and give us a hard time as to wether this whole deal is legal in their opinion.

Factually the new AG opinion superseded the old one which banned persons from owning machine guns and silencers. This superseding action has the effect of lifting the state ban on mg's and silencers.

BATFE is just not wanting to come to Jesus easily and admit that we are right, the law is on our side and that they must transfer mgs and cans as their is no violation of state or local law.

So theoretically you would not be in violation of state law but to play it safe just wait til BATFE decides the law means what the law says!

They cashed your check....end of story!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]
the first thing they do is cash the check right after they open the envelope. i have had to cancel tranfers before they were approved and the check was cashed a month or 2 earlier. they just send a refund if it doesn't get approved. cashing of the check does not mean you have approval. a tax stamp means you have approval.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the first thing they do is cash the check right after they open the envelope. i have had to cancel tranfers before they were approved and the check was cashed a month or 2 earlier. they just send a refund if it doesn't get approved. cashing of the check does not mean you have approval. a tax stamp means you have approval.

Figures..."OOOHH LOOKY MONEY"....Huh...what's this other paper for?? Should have post dated the check..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah. What he said.  

You've had your can sitting in a box out of state for how long now?  A little longer shouldn't hurt.  What you can do is file a 5320 right now.  I know it's not required, but in this instance it's probably a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top