Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:51:09 AM EDT
Question about the laws out there.... Currently I live in Az but after some recent news in the family, I may have the opportunity to move out there within the next year or so.

Currently I have a valid AZ CCW Permit (resident) and have a small collection of guns.... from what I've read it appears you have to register your guns with local PD?

I'm wondering how they'd handle some of my guns...
Example, I have a Sig 226 that came in .40 but I have a slide and barrel with different serial #'s for 9mm shooting -- would I have to register both?

I also have an AK47 (a second is on the way) That I built... including my own receivers from kits -- so there is NO serial # on them.  How would local PD out there handle that?

Anything else that I should know?  Currently in AZ it's 76 degrees..... it's just too damned hot out here, hopeing to get some place where white stuff falls out of the sky -- last time it snowed here and stuck to the ground (for 30 min) was in the late 80's.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged, I might become a temporary Michigander for the next year or so...
Still waiting for my boss to make up his mind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Question about the laws out there.... Currently I live in Az but after some recent news in the family, I may have the opportunity to move out there within the next year or so.

Currently I have a valid AZ CCW Permit (resident) and have a small collection of guns.... from what I've read it appears you have to register your guns with local PD?

I'm wondering how they'd handle some of my guns...
Example, I have a Sig 226 that came in .40 but I have a slide and barrel with different serial #'s for 9mm shooting -- would I have to register both?

I also have an AK47 (a second is on the way) That I built... including my own receivers from kits -- so there is NO serial # on them.  How would local PD out there handle that?

Anything else that I should know?  Currently in AZ it's 76 degrees..... it's just too damned hot out here, hopeing to get some place where white stuff falls out of the sky -- last time it snowed here and stuck to the ground (for 30 min) was in the late 80's.

you would have to register the pistol as shooting both cailbers, you dont have to register the long guns
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there any pistol restrictions as far as saftey, chamber indicators or anything like that?

Better yet, is there a good site that lists all applicable laws for the state?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are there any pistol restrictions as far as saftey, chamber indicators or anything like that?

Better yet, is there a good site that lists all applicable laws for the state?

Good luck with that one.

But no, the pistol registration/saftey inspection is just a way to run them through lein and make sure they are not stolen. They dont really care how safe they are. And actually on the back of the card they give you after the saftey inspection says" A cursory inspection has been made of this pistol presented. A check for operational or mechanical defects has not been made of this pistol."
But it does have serial #'s,caliber and raound capacity. If this has helped at all.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you dont have to register the long guns

Just a clarification since the original poster is from out of state.... Any rifle that has an overall length <30" and more than 26" with the stocked COLLAPSED must be registered as a pistol in MI. If your AK folder (dunno if you have one) is <26" OAL then it is considered an SBR and illegal to possess in MI.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you dont have to register the long guns

Just a clarification since the original poster is from out of state.... Any rifle that has an overall length <30" and more than 26" with the stocked COLLAPSED must be registered as a pistol in MI. If your AK folder (dunno if you have one) is <26" OAL then it is considered an SBR and illegal to possess in MI.

What the heck? One of the AK's i was going to build is a Underfolder......  so it doesn't matter that the barrel is 16"..... that's odd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
"technically" *EVERY* Pistol you own needs to be registred.  Many fellas I know register a P226 as the caliber they originally purchased it in.  Register 1 time as a .40 Cal and don't register the same pistol again as a 9mm.  I heard a fella on this board say this law was to prevent African American Males from running around with pistols easily.  This way the White PD could deny blacks purchase permits.
Don't ask me, it's just what I heard.

Guns Galore sells AK-47 rifles with folding stocks.  They have to be registered as a pistol.  Oddly enough an AR-15 with a barrel shorter than 16" is not considred a pistol becuase of the "rifle" stock.  If the stock wasn't there it can be registred as a Pistol,  In other words is has to look like this...

That's a pistol.

Don't ask me how a friggin' AK-47 with a folding stock is a pistol but an AR-15 with a short barrel is not.
idiot law makers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"technically" *EVERY* Pistol you own needs to be registred.  Many fellas I know register a P226 as the caliber they originally purchased it in.  Register 1 time as a .40 Cal and don't register the same pistol again as a 9mm.  I heard a fella on this board say this law was to prevent African American Males from running around with pistols easily.  This way the White PD could deny blacks purchase permits.
Don't ask me, it's just what I heard.

Guns Galore sells AK-47 rifles with folding stocks.  They have to be registered as a pistol.  Oddly enough an AR-15 with a barrel shorter than 16" is not considred a pistol becuase of the "rifle" stock.  If the stock wasn't there it can be registred as a Pistol,  In other words is has to look like this...

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/Images/az-C15P97S.jpg
That's a pistol.

Don't ask me how a friggin' AK-47 with a folding stock is a pistol but an AR-15 with a short barrel is not.
idiot law makers.

If it has a stock it that folds/collapses and is less than 26in oal at its shortest it is a SBR which is illegal in Mi.

If it has a stock it that folds/collapses and is greater than 26in oal at its shortest it is a rifle which is saftey as a pistol in Mi. Must have a 16in barrel.

Pistols are all saftey inspected. I had a P229 in 40sw w/ a 357sig barrel and it was noted as having intrechangable barrels. But with the SECOND SERIAL # you may need to saftey inspect it as well. Just take both with you when you go, it will only cost an additional 5$ to be sure.

That AR pistol doesn't have a STOCK. Therefore it's a pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top