Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
Anyone here a member or shoot there on the open days?

What's the range like?  How many shooting positions?

I'm thinking of taking a look out that way in the spring as an alternative/additional place to shoot than Island Lake.... I like the idea of >100 yards.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
its good club i belong there

there is an indoor handgun

a 50 yd  that has about 10 odd postions  has lotsof room

100yd has about 10 postions plus

and the 300yd has 3 s;ots but you must qualify for hte 300yder

good club plust trap and skeet
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
cool, thanks for the info.... how busy are they on the open wednesdays?

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My Dad is a member there - from what I remember the open Wednesdays had a regular group of people maybe 10 or so shooting trap or skeet and maybe a few people on the rifle range.

The indoor handgun range is nice - Don't quote me, but I think you can get qualified to operate it on your own.  Covered firing line on the 100 yard rifle range.  You used to be able to move the benches right up to the targets if you wanted on the 50 yard range - you just had to work with any other shooters when you did so.  I never shot on the 300 yard range.

J
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
not a bad place to shoot.  pretty decent indoor range that i hear is easy to get certified on so that you can use it when you please.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if the boss stays kind, I will get wednesdays off regularly. So I will have to get out there in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for all the info guys.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
How much does it cost to shoot there?, can you load full magazines?, are they rapid fire/ full auto friendly?, can you shoot positions, or just bench rest?, are there caliber or ammo restrictions?, whats required to "qualify" to use the 300 yard range?....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
i think for the 300 yard qualification you have to prove that you are capable of putting 5 shots in a 6" group at 100 yards or something, and then you have to show up for a walkaround with the club rep??

I don't believe that Howell allows full-auto.  Controlled 'rapid fire' is fine, but if you start bump firing, someone will probably give you a kick in the shorts.  Otherwise, things are low-key.

You can shoot positions.  I have never heard of any sort of magazine restrictions.  I routinely practice hipower there.  

The indoor range costs $2 per session, if you are a member.  The money goes to indoor range improvements and costs.  It is heated and ventilated and well lit.  Getting certified is an easy process, from what I'm told, and is free, just like getting certified on the 300 yard range.  A session on the indoor range is 2.5 hours.  stay there as many sessions as you want, but recognize that leagues (PPC and smallbore) use the whole indoor range (8 lanes) for a couple hours a night usually a total of 2-3 nights per week.  That 2 dollar fee is based on the honor system, and there is a wide variety of paper targets available to you for purchase which are also cheap.

The 300 yard range is narrow.

Other than the yearly membership fee (65 bucks? i'd have to ask), you don't have to pay to use the outdoor ranges, but skeet and trap are 2-3 bucks per round.  You cannot use any of the ranges except for skeet and trap without being a member or a guest of a member.

I'm not a member, I just shoot there a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top