Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 2:54:37 AM EDT
I remember going there a couple of times on school field trips when I was a kid but heard it eventually went out of business.  What's out there now?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Boblo Island.  Haven't thouoght of that place in along time.  Last time I went there was the the day Elvis died (yes he is dead).  Damn long boat ride to get there is I remember right.

I don't know what is out there now.  Probably alot of rats and and assorted crap.  I wonderif the rides are still there or if they removed them.

Where have you been Sin-Bin?  Haven't seen you post in a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Bob-Lo has been developed into upscale residential homes and condos.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Bob-Lo is now upscale housing in Canada (yeah Bob-lo is Canada)

The houses are quite pricey, for a while they were having some trouble selling them but I think that it's all developed now.

I was over there 2 years ago on a friends boat and it's beautiful.

They were unable to remove some of the footings from the larger rides and they have incorporated them into the landscaping.

Here is an article that talks about Bob-Lo from the Detroit news which may interest some of you (the amusment park)

Det News Bob-Lo

Here is a very nice page which has the history of the park and some great pics

Bob-Lo

Here is some info about the houses that are now there with some pics, seems quite a few people from Grosse Pointe have bought home there.

www.detnews.com/2001/metro/0107/13/a01-247025.htm

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They have the boat fixed up and you can go for rides on it ...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
There is one boat that is in Ohio, is that what you are talking about?

I am not sure what happened to the other.

An employee of mine used to work with the group who was trying to restore it for use on the Detroit river but I do not think that ever happened.

They donated a couple of the old life vests from each boat to my business and they are hanging up on the walls with lots of other old Detroit items here at www.Marvin3M.com  Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum.  One of Detroits best places to take your family for fun!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is one boat that is in Ohio, is that what you are talking about?

I am not sure what happened to the other.

An employee of mine used to work with the group who was trying to restore it for use on the Detroit river but I do not think that ever happened.

They donated a couple of the old life vests from each boat to my business and they are hanging up on the walls with lots of other old Detroit items here at www.Marvin3M.com  Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum.  One of Detroits best places to take your family for fun!

You own MMMM?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Jyogi are you marvin? I used to play all those old games when i was a kid at Tally hall, i live ten minutes from that place. McM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Marvin is my father, we are partners there.
I have been working there since I was 7 when we opened in 1980.

My father isn't nearly as involved anymore, he is 67 and still owns and runs the family drug store in Detroit.   He just comes in a couple times a week for a couple hours at a time.  That's part of the perks of starting the place and having your son run the place though I guess.

You will catch me in there about 65 hours a week, I live just two miles away as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive a truck for a living,and the other day i saw a sign on jefferson that said boblo boat .kind of freaked me out ,that night on the news they had a story about how they were fixing it up and giving rides for i think 5 or 10 bucks....
Thats pretty cool ill have check out the museum...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Boblo boat was at Ballanger Park in River Rouge, east of Jefferson, right next to Rouge River. I don't know if it is still their or not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
They just turned one of the boats into a floating "haunted house".  They were doing stories on the news about it a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the responses.  Sorry I haven't been able to check in often.      
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Me and the girlfriend went to mmmm the other day and had a good time she liked the guy that puked in the garbage can ,i liked the battletech game and the cowboy shooter...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
HAHA good I am glad you came in
The puke man was my idea and I had him made just for us.
He is the only one you will ever see like that.
A friend whose a professor of Robotics at Bowling Green made it for us.
He has also made a few other custom pieces.

Now that you had fun please do me a favor, tell a friend.  Word of mouth is out main source of advertising
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top