Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:08:13 PM EDT
What is the law regarding carrying knives in Michigan. I thought that it was legal to carry a knife as long as the blade is 4" or less. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Michigan has very weird knife laws -- best to look them up.

No maximum length, but a 3" maximum length applies if you are going to attack someone with it !?!?!  

"MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length."

Other than that only "hunting knifes" are legal:

"MCL 750.227   No. A dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in their own home, place of business or on other land possessed by the person."
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Why carry a knife when you can carry a gun?

Dave

PS: It specified non-folding knives-a tactical folder should be a-ok.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've carried a 3" bladed knife on me for years now and never had a problem.  As long as it isn't a Rambo sized knive you will be fine.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 3" Camillus single edged boot knife along with my pistol.
I guess Balisongs are legal. right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in indiana and have always carried a spyderco police knife which has a good size blade never really thought about it when i went th mich though oh well
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Also be aware that many cities have local ordinances concerning knives. For example, I believe Dearborn has an ordinance prohibiting blades over 2".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top