Posted: 9/3/2003 4:05:56 PM EDT
Pontiac, Mi.
Pontiac Silverdome
Sat 9am-5pm
Sun 10am-4pm

I think I might go Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to go on Saturday to pick some stuff up for my 16" upper. Going to try the stuff out on Sunday at the pit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck yeah!  That there's good people watchin.

I like the Silverdome show, at least with get some fresh vendors that don't travel to the Birch Run shows and whatnot and we don't see at Gibraltar.

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course I will be working. When will it ever end?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking about 11:00 am.  I will have the AR-15.com hat and the photojournalist vest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
wasnt really impressed by the seleection of firearms but there was some good ammo deals

i got
1000 round of wolf 7.62x39 FMJ for 75 bucks
and
1000 rounds of .223 FMJ 55grain from the Maine Cartridge company, anyone shot this ammo before? seems really nice for the price, 149.
Reloadable, non-corrosive, stamped LC 02
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
It kind of sucked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought it sucked. I was on the hunt for a few things, which I got and used today at da pit. It was cool to spend way below what I could have/ wanted to.

Even though it sucked, it will draw me back again next year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't have to wait a year, I think it'll be back around Chirstmas.

I was disappointed too, but I guess I'm getting used to it.  People selling items at above retail -- trying to trap the unsuspecting buyer into a quick sale.  I peeked at a Bushmaster XXV anniversary, and was quickly told that those two were the LAST ones and the special stock couldn't be bought any other way (The ARFX).  I laughed.  It must work on some people.  He saw me laugh and asked me if he should get me a purchase form.

I can't handle people selling factory glock holsters for $25 when they should cost $10.  I feel like everyone there is trying to rob me -- the minute I see a nice gun that I'm not infinitely knowledgeable about condition and market value, I become interested, but immediately feel like I might be robbed.  I saw a nice 41 Magnum Redhawk and just couldn't trust the seller to tell me what it's condition or story really was.  He just started talking about the .41 Magnum's high collectability because it's no longer produced.  I asked him if he knew anything about the S&W 657 and he said yeah, but this is a .41!  Wow.  I left.  Books you can buy at Amazon are marked full retail price. $35 for a $35 book.  Seem strange?  Even shops at the mall knock off a couple percent.

If you go to a show to shop, chat, learn, and buy, why should you have to feel like if you aren't absolutely the 100% authority on anything you might buy, it just isn't safe to pull out your wallet?

I know the sellers at these shows (and often the buyers) are typically low tech, but really, how is charging retail or over retail acceptable?  It's basically the highest price you'll ever pay for these items, and they're everywhere in the show.  I know it's not fair to compare retail to mail order, but this isn't supposed to be retail -- it's a gun show.  $999 for a S&W 500?  They retail at $899 and you can buy it at Gibraltar Trade Center for $829.  

The Ammo deals were there.  Saw .40 S&W 180gr cases of 500 for $89.  Wanted 165gr but it was $119 so I passed.  Picked up a RRA lower for $105.  Wife bought a nice range bag.  Found 2 nice 20rd colts for a fair price.

Prebans galore.  Getting cheaper too.  Lots of rough condition stuff though.  Some just beat down hard.  None looked unsafe to fire.

I'll be back at Christmas though!

-Dan

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Prices were high as hell. Some good deals on used
US surplus though. Best deal I saw was $50 for new complete kevlar K-pots, than I thought what the hell do I need one for??

Could'nt find an M4 upper that fit/matched my 2nd M4 project RRA lower for the life of me.

It kinda sucked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you guys see the Michigan Militia guys?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If they had a booth, I didn't see it, but I'm pretty good at blocking out anything that seems suspiciously high on flyers and low on guns.  My wife doesn't recall them either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to resurrect a 5 day dormant thread...

I got to the show on the Sunday. Got a few odds and ends. Saw some great deals and some utter ripoffs. A few questionable M-1 Garands.

Didn't see any militia guys! But I tend to not look around a whole lot.

The people exhibiting there were dying on the vine. I felt really bad for them. There weren't that many people there at all.

I'll more than likely be back in December or whenever the next one is. There were a lot of exhibitors there that don't make it to the Gibraltar shows (which have gotten lamer and lamer)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top