Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 9:40:16 PM EDT
At least we beat the Carolinas from being last to post
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Jeff,I'm in Iron Mountain, Where are you? And do you shoot Highpower competition?

Fred
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm from the Canton area (SE Michigan), and just picked up my first AR-15 (well, actually, I had one about 12 years ago for a short while).

Just getting back into it. :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, let me sound off and make it 4 of us in here. I am in the Redford/Livonia area. Its nice to see that I am  not alone, in this huge butthole called Detroit...

WAS
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I am #5.  I live in Swartz Creek, about 10 miles SW of Flint. (what a cess pool).
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like I am #5.  I live in Swartz Creek, about 10 miles SW of Flint. (what a cess pool).

Flint-  The Gary, Indiana of Michigan.

Just kidding.

I'm from the other side of the state, in GR.  Right now I am looking for a good range to join to shoot my AR.  If anyone is a member of any in the area, let me know.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Barry County, here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just kidding.

I'm from the other side of the state, in GR.  Right now I am looking for a good range to join to shoot my AR.  If anyone is a member of any in the area, let me know.  

Why are you knocking Gary?    I live in the greater Flint area also.  Do you shoot at Williams?  I have been looking for a decent range to practice Service Rifle.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I am in Kalamazoo.  I have met 2 others on this board at the local range.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone going to this:

Dec 28 & 29
Pontiac Gun & Knife Show, Saturday 9am to 5pm,  Sunday 10am to 4pm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Another Grand Rapidian here also. Nice to meet you'all.
I'm not a member to any clubs(yet) but I went to the "Kent County Consevation Club" in ADA a few years back to have a look around. If I remember correctly they had a 300 yard rifle range there. They also were giving out M-1 Garands free to the members that day but had run out when I showed up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just kidding.

Why are you knocking Gary?    I live in the greater Flint area also.  Do you shoot at Williams?  I have been looking for a decent range to practice Service Rifle.  Any suggestions?

No reason to apologize about Flint, (anything you say about it is probably true )

QCMGR, I have shot at Williams in the past.  I haven't had alot of time to get out in the past year or so.  Whenever I get that "Gotta Shoot" feeling I go out to the back yard and let a few rounds go.  

I have been thinking about joining the Linden Sportsman Club.  They are A CMP affiliated Club.  Don't know if it is anything you you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone going to this:

Dec 28 & 29

I'll be going on Saturday.  Trying to get there as early as possible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
QCMGR, I have shot at Williams in the past.  I haven't had alot of time to get out in the past year or so.  Whenever I get that "Gotta Shoot" feeling I go out to the back yard and let a few rounds go.  

I have been thinking about joining the Linden Sportsman Club.  They are A CMP affiliated Club.  Don't know if it is anything you you are looking for.

I understand Linden has a waiting list.  I have been meaning to shoot there in a service rifle match.  I have shot in the Garand and Springfeild matches at Camp Perry but nothing local.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone going to this:

Dec 28 & 29

I was planning on going early Saturday also.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone going to this:

Dec 28 & 29

I was planning on going early Saturday also.

I'm in the Ann Arbor area. I will definetly
be making it out to this one early Saturday. Supposed to be the
largest www.migunshows.com has hosted. On another note,their
best tend to be the Birch Run/Grand Rapids shows.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On another note,their
best tend to be the Birch Run/Grand Rapids shows.

At the last Birch Run show I was showing my brother the finer points of magazine hunting.  Most USGI 20's were $25.00.  I go to a table with an un-priced magazine and ask the guy how much?  This dick says $59.00.  I say thanks and he adds, "Its a Colt".  What a tool!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't been to a show in Birch Run in a few months.  It is a good show and a lot closer than going down to Gibraltar Trade Center.  Plus the wife drops me off and then goes shopping at the outlets across the street. I went to one of migunshows.com shows in Mason, at the county fairgrounds, the place had a very strong odor of farm animals (don't get me wrong, I don't mind the smell of animals, but not at a fun show)  I will definitely be going to Pontiac show though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]

At the last Birch Run show I was showing my brother the finer points of magazine hunting.  Most USGI 20's were $25.00.  I go to a table with an un-priced magazine and ask the guy how much?  This dick says $59.00.  I say thanks and he adds, "Its a Colt".  What a tool!

Usually 3 exclusive AR vendors that show
up at GR/BR shows:

1.Model 1 Sales-uppers/ar parts/accessories.

2.The old guy with the table full of uppers/mags/ammo.

3.young guy/wife with table full of uppers/AR parts/mags etc.

#2 vendor usually has NIW Parsons/Sanchez 30rd
mags for $25.
#3 has NIW USGI 30 rds for $35.
#4 Is the main guy who has the largest Mil. Surp table-has New 30rd mags(all gov't contract) for $25.

I always notice that used beat to shit
mags from misc. vendors are more expensive than the NIW from the above vendors.Go figure.

As for 20 rounders,wouldn't know. I never bought one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Another Flint resident checking in here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone from Grand Rapids want to brave the cold at the range lemme know after the holidays.  

I also work part time at the Grandville Gander Mountain.  YES, we now have small handguns for concealed carry.  YES, I can get you an M1A.  Still working on Evil Black Rifles though .
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just kidding.

Been there a number of times as a tike. Grandparents lived at corner of Green and Dupont. I think it was 622? Maybe wrong....
Used to  stay at the Sheraton around Pearson & 75?? There used to be a really good sit down pizza place I remember, excellent pizza, is it still around,,,,remember, this was maybe 30-35 yr ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Another Grand Rapidian here also. Nice to meet you'all.
I'm not a member to any clubs(yet) but I went to the "Kent County Consevation Club" in ADA a few years back to have a look around. If I remember correctly they had a 300 yard rifle range there. They also were giving out M-1 Garands free to the members that day but had run out when I showed up.

I haven't been to Kent Co. Conservation Club.  At least I think...   I went to one out that way with a friend about 8 years ago.  It was called "Qua-Ke-Zik" or something like that.  I am wondering if it is the same place.

I have also looked around at South Kent Sportsman's Club.  Their rifle range goes out to 500 meters or so and they have a wide variety of other ranges.  It's a little more of a drive for me, but it may be worth it.

West Walker is probably the closest (and cheapest), but their rifle range is only 100 yds.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're in Flint and you don't mind a little drive, you can go to midland which is less than an hour-they have 600 yard range there, practices thursday nights, etc, 6 firing points for 600 yard only matches on saturdays.  Don't have a schedule, but you might be able to find one on the michigan rpa website www.michrpa.com , i don't know.  
Consider fort custer (battle creek) if youre downstate for the course matches, it is a 2, 3, and 500 (five) yard range, no 600 yet to the best of my knowledge; the people are nice there and the matches have always been well organized and well run the few times i've been there.  I *think* you have to be an MRPA member to shoot them, or a member of a state association from another state.  You can stay on the base in the barracks for a small fee and if that's not your style, there are decent hotels in the battle creek area.

Myself, well, i hail from the ann arbor area, but attend school at none other than the prestigious university in east lansing...
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Port Huron here. East side of the state, where the US and Canada meet at the southern point of Lake Huron. Kinda in Texas right now though, on a little stint courtesy of the US Government they like to call "Active Duty." I still represent when I need to!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Lokt, remember Ann Arbor Guns?
That basement store that was located
off South Main in Downtown A2?

That little place had some cool weapons,
ARs,AKs,FALs,HKs,M1As,Garands,30 carbines,
many other different rifles as well as
every quality name handgun.
It may have well been the best little gun
store in Washtenaw County.

Too bad it lasted only like 2 months.

I'll bet the antis(town chock-fulla-them)
threw all sorts of hissy fits when they found
out a place like that existed in their(and ours)
beloved place of peace and quiet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#26]
ARFFJEFFC,
sounds like South Kent Sportsman's Club is what I'm looking for. Any Idea on membership cost? I've not done much shooting before(still a
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Iron-
I'd heard about it but never got a chance to get inside...  sounds like a cool place though.
And yeah the political climate in ann arbor is just about enough to make any sane person jump from that cross by dominoes farms....
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#28]
fredshort,
About Iron Mtn- does Tom still have the diesel repair and the other brother have the barber shop?  I may have the names backwards.  I worked with their son Joe for a while.  Also does their father still own Sully's Log Cabin in Aurora, WI?  Ahhh, the memories.  Poker runs to Brown's (Gwinn) on the sled....

edit:  Joe is not their son, he's their brother.  Don't know WTF I typed that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
fredshort,
About Iron Mtn- does Tom still have the diesel repair and the other brother have the barber shop?  I may have the names backwards.  I worked with their son Joe for a while.  Also does their father still own Sully's Log Cabin in Aurora, WI?  Ahhh, the memories.  Poker runs to Brown's (Gwinn) on the sled....

edit:  Joe is not their son, he's their brother.  Don't know WTF I typed that.

I don't know about those Tom & Joe's or the Log Cabin as I have never been there. I used to spend quite a bit of time at Tom & Joe's Tavern in Aurora, 1976? It has change hands several times and is now called the Double D. And yes, there was a pair there the last time I was. There is still a Tom & Joe's Liquor Store across the street from the DD.

Fred
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Must be different.  I left there in 90.  Tom owned a diesel repair and Dave (?) owned a barber shop in Iron Mtn.  I worked for a while with Joe.  Their father owned the bar in Aurora.

Anyway, have a great holiday.  Sure would like to see (ALOT) of snow here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Backstop, I woke up this morning and realized I know Tom, or I think so. He owns the UP Truck Center/Western Star dealership, or used to. I'm not sure of the current ownership. It's in Quinnesec. Last night, I was thinking of Cummins or Detriot diesels, not trucks. I don't know why, I work for the International dealership, ASE certified Master Truck tech. I met Tom when I was taking some transmission training at his shop.

Fred
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I could use some advice about joining a gun club in our area. Do any of you guys know of a club that is accepting members that is CMP affiliated and maybe IDPA affiliated as well? Or do you know of a resource that might have clubs on it? Thanks

WAS
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Fred,
I worked with Joe in the military.  He got out and worked in his brother Tom's diesel repair shop.  I only met Tom once.  Joe and his brother Dave(?) were skinny guys; Tom was heavier.  Their last name is Sullivan.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot man.   I was just remembering good people/good times.

I sure do miss it up there.  May move there in the future.  Wonder if I can book Da Yoopers for the SBC Arena?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Fred,
I worked with Joe in the military.  He got out and worked in his brother Tom's diesel repair shop.  I only met Tom once.  Joe and his brother Dave(?) were skinny guys; Tom was heavier.  Their last name is Sullivan.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot man.   I was just remembering good people/good times.

I sure do miss it up there.  May move there in the future.  Wonder if I can book Da Yoopers for the SBC Arena?

Yep, same people. In fact, Tom's picture is in the paper yeaterday, volunteer pilot for Lifeline or something similar.

Don't worry about putting me on the spot, sometimes I just don't thind as foat as I used to. Maybe I never did think fast. And I'm always happy to stir up good memories.

WolfAmongSheep
Blue Water Sportsman Association
http://www.bwsa.freeservers.com

www.mcrgo.org
left side, affiliates

Fred
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Hello. I am from Kalamazoo.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
ARFFJEFFC,
sounds like South Kent Sportsman's Club is what I'm looking for. Any Idea on membership cost? I've not done much shooting before(still a )but would like to get out to a range more to learn.

I just checked their site, dues are $100 a year, but they give credit for participating in work-days throughout the year.

They are located about 3 miles off of US 131 at the Dorr exit.

You are required to attend a brief safety class, then a member has to sponsor you.

www.sksc.org

Hope this helps,

also Jeff
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Howdy!  From south of Ypsilanti, which, if Flint is the Gary of MI, Ypsi must be the armpit of MI.

My heart is in the North.  Lived for 6 years in Sault Ste. Marie, 4 in Traverse City, and 2 in Kalkaska.  My wife is from Ontonogan which, in my opinion, is about the most beautiful location in MI.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Howdy!  From south of Ypsilanti, which, if Flint is the Gary of MI, Ypsi must be the armpit of MI.

LMAO!
I work in Ypsi, but come 5 O'Clock I can never
seem to find a fast enough way to get the hell outta' Dodge!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the link ARFFJEFFC
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey Lokt, remember Ann Arbor Guns?
That basement store that was located
off South Main in Downtown A2?

That little place had some cool weapons,
ARs,AKs,FALs,HKs,M1As,Garands,30 carbines,
many other different rifles as well as
every quality name handgun.
It may have well been the best little gun
store in Washtenaw County.

Too bad it lasted only like 2 months.

I'll bet the antis(town chock-fulla-them)
threw all sorts of hissy fits when they found
out a place like that existed in their(and ours)
beloved place of peace and quiet.

The liberals in A2 are freaking weird. Some of the best sleezy massage parlors (yes, the kind where you get the full treatment, for an extra $100-200 depending on your negotiating skills and how many times you have been there, and if you had a specific girl that you enjoyed seeing), were located next to Churches, resturants, major shopping areas, schools, etc, until the Morality Squad decided to clean them out a year or two ago (not that I ever frequented those types of establishments, mind you). They operated down there, for at least 9 yrs, since my freinds introduced me to them (I was on a church field trip, exploring the decay of modern society). Kind of strange they would mind a gun shop in a basement, but would ok a brothel....errr, massage parlor, being in the middle of their community.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Hello from Livonia.   I do most of my shooting off Sharon Hollow Rd at the DNR Range.   You can load 5-6 rounds in the clip.  Could be worse.

Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top