Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 4:16:50 PM EDT
I'm heading to Camp Lejeune this week, and trying to decide between the northern route through Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia versus the southern route through Tennessee.

I prefer Tennessee, but wanted to ask y'all what kind of shape IH-40 is between Nashville and the North Carolina state line.  Any construction or closures that I need to worry about?

Thanks,

Bud
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In the gorge on I-40, just inside the NC state line, they are doing rock removal. Went through there 2 weeks ago and depending on the time of day you go through, you may be delayed or not. The earlier the better. Even on Saturday, they were working then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It might actually be faster to take I-81 into Virginia to I-77 south back into NC, and then take I-74 to US 52, before returning to I-49 in Winston-Salem.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*Truck driver who goes this way a lot.*
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It might actually be faster to take I-81 into Virginia to I-77 south back into NC, and then take I-74 to US 52, before returning to I-49 in Winston-Salem.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*Truck driver who goes this way a lot.*
View Quote

Hmmm.  Up through Bristol.  That might work.   Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I just came through that way and its wide open. It's like thirteen miles further but almost always a speed-limit drive unless it's foggy around Fancy Gap.

You could take I-26 from Kingsport TN down to Asheville, NC if you wanted. That's usually clear and a very pretty drive.

EDIT: I meant to say I-40, not 49, in my original post.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just came through that way and its wide open. It's like thirteen miles further but almost always a speed-limit drive unless it's foggy around Fancy Gap.

You could take I-26 from Kingsport TN down to Asheville, NC if you wanted. That's usually clear and a very pretty drive.

EDIT: I meant to say I-40, not 49, in my original post.
View Quote

I love driving up I-81 once you get past Morristown.  Beautiful drive.  I just never get to go up there much anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top