Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 5:54:13 PM EDT
I live near Chattanooga and Hamilton Place mall has a sign on the main entrances that lead to the food court and a few other areas. They dont have signs on the JCpenny, Sears, Etc. stores.
Dont they have to have signs at ALL entrances?

Also at North Gate they have no signs on the door. BUT if you look at the wall next to the door they have a "Conduct Policy" or some crap and it has no weapons down the list. Would this be legal?

If I see no guns on the door or a sign with a gun and a slash through it thats easy to understand. But this? This legal?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live near Chattanooga and Hamilton Place mall has a sign on the main entrances that lead to the food court and a few other areas. They dont have signs on the JCpenny, Sears, Etc. stores.
Dont they have to have signs at ALL entrances?

Also at North Gate they have no signs on the door. BUT if you look at the wall next to the door they have a "Conduct Policy" or some crap and it has no weapons down the list. Would this be legal?

If I see no guns on the door or a sign with a gun and a slash through it thats easy to understand. But this? This legal?

Legal?
According to the letter of the law, no. These situations do not constitute proper posting.

Am I going to be the one to test it?
Not at Hamilton Place. Nothing I need that they sell there that I can't get elsewhere (and for cheaper!)
Northgate's is much more cut & dried. I'd carry there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I often see signs saying "no illegal weapons allowed". Not real sure what a sign is going to do to prevent some asshat from having an illegal weapon when the law already says it's illegal, but they didn't ask my opinion.

Personally, I carry in any & all malls regardless of postings. I know *I* am not going to be a target/bullet stop for some nutcase or gangbanger. Mall security is a joke, especially in the parking lots. I make sure I have good concealment & I conduct my bidness politely & never have any issues. YMMV.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I always go in through Sears.  Havent seen a sign yet.  

Edit:  I use Northgate as much as possible too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It's my understanding that the "conduct policy" signs are more of a CYA for the mall, than anything else.  If an incident occurs, the mall can point to the "posted conduct policy" if somebody starts talking lawsuit.  If somebody starts asking why the mall hasn't prohibited "those evil guns", the management can point to the conduct policy signs, and that would calm most who might have a panic attack caused by worrying that somebody might have a gun in the mall.  

Such signs (the ones that I have seen, at least) are not legally binding on permit holders, since they are not posted so that they can be easily seen before entering the building and don't have either the required wording, or the circle and slash over a drawing of a gun.

ETA: They are supposed to post all entrances that are normally used, for the posting to be legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top